Sign in to follow this  
roarkr

Flight vs Aerofly FS

From what ive seen this looks like its got a ton of potential - IF the program is written to support third party software.
I quote you.If it will support 3rd party addons ( I doubt it anyway ) Flight will be wiped out before the release.

If it will support 3rd party addons ( I doubt it anyway ) Flight will be wiped out before the release.
Good god, get a grip man.

Good god, get a grip man.
He has a firm grip. On a very negative view towards MS and Flight :(

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

... showing the sim physics to advantage.
But how realistic are thye physics of the Camel - given the real one's unusual flying characteristics? Edited by mgh

He has a firm grip. On a very negative view towards MS and Flight :(
I am not concerned about Flight, I know it will be a toy with no simulation aspects but the mixture.I am worried about its future instead, because it will sell pretty much nothing cause of its arcadish DNA and therefore there will be no addons but very few MS ones related to cosmetic aspects only or extra missions, as usual.So, our dream of having within 2 years some scenarios beside Hawaii or some jet planes at least in 2013-2014 will be dramatically erased by MS Flight project leader arcade ideas.This is why I am moaning against the ones in MS who are making their best to sink the flight simulation in favor of colored biplanes delivering cargos near WWII warships. Does MS think we are all a mass of dumb arcading console boyz ? Yes they do and they are proud of being so lame.I like Pinball games within operating systems' games only. Edited by Mark II

Thanks for proving my point :(

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

The photo scenery is nice, but I'm most impressed by the lighting, especially the self-shadowing on the aircraft.

I am not concerned about Flight, I know it will be a toy with no simulation aspects but the mixture. I am worried about its future instead, because it will sell pretty much nothing cause of its arcadish DNA
Could you please explain your above statements in light of the FAQ on the Microsoft Flight website, which states:"...The new “Microsoft Flight” retains the full fidelity simulation longtime fans have come to expect..."

Global scenery, more complex avionics and systems and all of the above mentioned (AI, ATC, weather, seasons and all the rest of it) implemented by the developer or any third party developer and you got yourself a heck of a lot of customers using this as their primary sim I reckon. Unlikely as it is for that to happen if it did I cant see why most people would not switch (other than spending large amounts of cash for MS sims). I'll pick this up for some VFR flight but if everything else that was default in FSX was implemented it would be absolutely incredible. Nice work developers.Rich

But how realistic are thye physics of the Camel - given the real one's unusual flying characteristics?
I really cannot say, other than to say it looks convincing in the way I might imagine such an aircraft to handle. If it impresses me, to me that is all that really matters. I'm not one of the IL2 crowd who will lose a month of sleep because one or more flight modelling parameters are deemed to be slightly out of whack.What I am after is immersion. Something like the racing game Shift 2 Unleashed for example might arguably be "off" when it comes to certain areas of physics, but the game pulls you in in such a way as to go a good way towards suspending disbelief. I feel exactly the same way when I am watching these YouTube videos of the Pitts and Camel.

I'm only posting this because everyone is discussing about AeroflyFS, but no one seems to have tried it out. As English isn’t my native language I want to point out from the beginning that the following sentences are only an attempt to describe my personal impression of this new flight simulator. Due to the given standards of some forum members I’m not in the position to give a well-grounded review, so I won’t even try. I only spent a few hours with this simulation up to now and I’m glad if I can answer some questions about AeroflyFS, but I won’t take part in any discussions about the value of the different flight simulations.You have only one chance of leaving a first impression, and my first reaction after starting this simulation was ‘WHOW’. Extremely short loading times, frame rates of about 50 fps with everything maxed, and great visuals out of the box without having to buy tons of addons even on my moderate system. Of course I tried every available aircraft, and it was a lot fun to feel the speed of the FA18 while flying through the canons of the Swiss Alps, but being a glider pilot in real life I concentrated on the two available sailing planes. There is an option in one of the menus to make the thermals and normal wind flows visible during flight, and it’s very impressive to experience the reactions of the glider on the current wind conditions. Slowing down the glider until it stalls make it tilting to the left or right side and a perfect side slip won't be a problem, if you set the sim to the strongest reality factor. Of course a gliding simulation never will completely real unless you can feel the thermal with your backside, but this one comes very close.I’m missing a lot of things in this simulation, like different times of day, variations of the weather, some AI traffic, and some kind of ‘living world’ etc. But I don’t focus on the things I’m missing, instead I’m enjoying the things AeroflyFs offers, and for the rest I use one of the remaining simulations. AeroflyFs is perfect for practicing your aerobatic skills or improving your gliding experience while trying to finish your planed 300 km triangle flight in your favourite glider with only low thermals and some adverse winds. Try to centre the thermals or take advantage of the ridge upwind considering the wind direction, both are very well depicted based on the given topography of the region; but take care, you’ll also find a strong downwind at the lee side of the ridge, so you always should look for a reasonable landing spot in the inhospitable regions of the Swiss Alps.The guys at IKARUS are claiming to improve and extend the simulation if there is enough interest shown, but if they are clever they should leave the big tubes out and concentrate on making this the perfect simulation for GA flyers.So my final personal conclusion: AeroflyFS will probably never replace any of the mature flight simulations, but it can be a lot fun and it might arouse interest in flight simulation at people who are not willing to spend a little fortune in hardware and software.Regards, Andreas

Could you please explain your above statements in light of the FAQ on the Microsoft Flight website, which states:"...The new “Microsoft Flight” retains the full fidelity simulation longtime fans have come to expect..."
It's all marketing hype until Microsoft starts talking specifics (which should be any day now).

I am more impressed with custom objects at the airport and lighting than I am with the scenery. wow. look at them flags flow in the wind.
I was particularly impressed with the deck umbrellas! Notice that the underside of them is a mirror image of the topside! How cool is that!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I am not concerned about Flight, I know it will be a toy with no simulation aspects but the mixture.
You are very strident for someone who has no more idea that any of us what Flight will actually be like. How could you possibly know that there will even be a "mixture" control? It is obvious that there has to be a throttle, but mixture? :nea:Will we still see you around once Flight's features are known and you are (possibly) proven wrong, or will you simply fade away into the woodwork? :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

You are very strident for someone who has no more idea that any of us what Flight will actually be like. How could you possibly know that there will even be a "mixture" control? It is obvious that there has to be a throttle, but mixture? :nea:Will we still see you around once Flight's features are known and you are (possibly) proven wrong, or will you simply fade away into the woodwork? :(
If there is a Maule there will be a mixture control, obvious, MS calls this aspect an hard core simulation one pleasing all the expert pilots. Pathetic.Hich...Regarding the second sentence...of course I can be wrong but I'll be here for a while don't worry, I have to retrieve a won bet first, then I'll pick up all the ones ( one by one ) who voted optimistically in the poll and I will enquire them all bragging here and there.I just hope to find here at least 10-15% of you :(

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.