Sign in to follow this  
AirbusCG

Which speeds do I have to extend the Flaps at?

Hi,just a quick question as I've read something in another thread which is wondering me.Until now I have thought that during the approach the flaps would be extended in this order:Flaps1: Vref40 + 70Flaps2: Vref 40 + 50Flaps5: Vref40 + 30Flaps10: Vref40 + 30Flaps15: Vref40 + 20Flaps25: Vref40 + 10Flaps30: Vref30Flaps40: Vref40but now I read this:

Just use the speed knob to lower your speed to the different flap speeds. ( you will see these in the DESC page of the CDU. They are actually flap speed restrictions. )or just do it visually by extending the flaps and dialling down the speed until the speed bug is over the green flap number.VNAV will be doing this for you automatically until the glideslope is captured.
I'm a little confused now. When do I extend the flaps now?Thanks for your answers in advanceEmanuel

Greetings from the 737 flightdeck!

Hi Emanuel,On the speed tape you will see signs like -1 when you slow down enought. When you pass the sign -1 you extend the flaps to 1. The sign -2 will show up, and when you are slow enought, so that your speed is equal or less then the -2 you extend flaps 2. Continue this with -5, -10, -15. When I pass -15 and have the gear down, and the flaps at 15 I normaly extend the landing flaps directly, like 25, 30 or 40.Jonathan

FCOM 1, NP.21.68 has the Flap Extension Schedule.Basically, you select Flaps 1 at the "UP" marker in the PFD speed tape, Flaps 5 at "1", Flaps 15 at "5" and your landing flaps (30 or 40) at "15".Apparently you never really use the "in between" flap settings (2, 10 or 25).By the way, FCOM 1, NP.21.46 has the Takeoff Flap Retraction Speed Schedule.

Vref 40 + 70 is faaast for flap extension. Can't see any need for that.
Wouldn't that be around 200-210 IAS usually? Sounds about right for Flaps 1 (though admittedly still a newbie in the NGX).John-Alan Pascoe

Wouldn't that be around 200-210 IAS usually? Sounds about right for Flaps 1 (though admittedly still a newbie in the NGX).John-Alan Pascoe
Sorry Alan, it is. My mistake.

No need to apologise. It's not a way you see the speeds presented very often. Using VREF40, when landing flaps is usually 30 also makes it a bit more confusing.John-Alan Pascoe

If you're not using vnav, it's up to you to lower your airspeed and extend the flaps accordingly. Simply use the green markers next to the speed tape to extend the flaps, like someone else said. For example, say you're at 220 kts 10 miles out and leveled out coming in to intercept the loc: Lower your airspeed bug via the MCP to correspond with the "up" green marker. When you pass the "up" green marker, select flaps 1 and lower your bug to the green "1". Once you reach tha airspeed and you feel you need to slow down even further (by now you're maybe 5 miles out), select flaps 5 and bug down to 5. You should intercept the localizer with at least flaps 5 selected and thus be on the corresponding flaps 5 referebce speed. When the glideslope becomes alive, select flaps 15 and bug down to flaps 15 reference speed (the green 15 marker on the right-hand side of the speed tape). When you're one dot above the gs, select flaps 25, gear down, and further slow down to your Vapp (Vref + whatever you need to account for wind and gusts). Be sure to finally select your landing flaps by no later than 1000 AFE. If you let vnav engaged all the way down to glideslope intercept, it will slow down for you in this fashion and you just lower the flaps accordingly.

It is worth noting that the green markers are shown by that Vref40+something speed exactly.

FCOM 1, NP.21.68 has the Flap Extension Schedule.Basically, you select Flaps 1 at the "UP" marker in the PFD speed tape, Flaps 5 at "1", Flaps 15 at "5" and your landing flaps (30 or 40) at "15".Apparently you never really use the "in between" flap settings (2, 10 or 25).By the way, FCOM 1, NP.21.46 has the Takeoff Flap Retraction Speed Schedule.
Yes, that is correct !It was common practise years ago to go to flaps 25 before flaps 40.Boeing has changed this to go to flaps 30 or 40 from flaps 15.BUT......it is actually up to the captain as to what he wants to do. If he calls for flaps 25, then so be it.Fred.

Why there is no " shortcut " to skip the unused flap settings ?Or better...which is a valid shortcut to select only the necesary flap settings skipping the unused ones ?Thx

If you're not using vnav, it's up to you to lower your airspeed and extend the flaps accordingly. Simply use the green markers next to the speed tape to extend the flaps, like someone else said. For example, say you're at 220 kts 10 miles out and leveled out coming in to intercept the loc: Lower your airspeed bug via the MCP to correspond with the "up" green marker. When you pass the "up" green marker, select flaps 1 and lower your bug to the green "1". Once you reach tha airspeed and you feel you need to slow down even further (by now you're maybe 5 miles out), select flaps 5 and bug down to 5. You should intercept the localizer with at least flaps 5 selected and thus be on the corresponding flaps 5 referebce speed. When the glideslope becomes alive, select flaps 15 and bug down to flaps 15 reference speed (the green 15 marker on the right-hand side of the speed tape). When you're one dot above the gs, select flaps 25, gear down, and further slow down to your Vapp (Vref + whatever you need to account for wind and gusts). Be sure to finally select your landing flaps by no later than 1000 AFE. If you let vnav engaged all the way down to glideslope intercept, it will slow down for you in this fashion and you just lower the flaps accordingly.
Boeing's profile and the one that most airlines use is Gear Down and then F15. Many airlines don't use F25 for approach. The FCTM has a good section on this.

Matt Cee

Boeing's profile and the one that most airlines use is Gear Down and then F15. Many airlines don't use F25 for approach. The FCTM has a good section on this.
Thanks for clearign that up to me Matt. I stand corrected. Is the rest of the way that I explained it correct though?