Sign in to follow this  
bariboy16

747 or MD-11

I love the MD-11 due to its simplicity. It's a very automated aircraft which gives it a special "personality", so to speak. The only problem is if you're into doing real world flights, the MD-11 is mainly a cargo plane as apposed to the 747. I think I've flown the MD-11 just as much as the 747. You can't go wrong with either, even if the 74 is an older product.

MD11 all the way. It's not too hard to learn flying it (basic A to B flight) because most of the systems are automatic.It's easy on frames, looks "newer' than the 747 and it's a new experience because the cockpit philosophy is more the Airbus way, but not completely...

regards,

Alexander Marx

MD-11 ;) It's excellent! I also recommend getting the Turbine Sound Studio sound packs to go allong with it.
I'm obviously biased towards the MD-11 so I won't comment on which airplane to get ;)Just want to say one thing very clearly for anyone considering the MD-11: Please do NOT buy the TSS sound package! It's a waste of money! Yes the external sounds are nice, but the cockpit sounds of that TSS pack are not realistic at all, seriously! One would sacrifice a lot of realism by using the TSS thing! I've spent dozens of hours recording and testing the sound set with Armen, who by the way did a wonderful job on these sounds. And you can ask anyone on the PMDG team, I'm not the one who's easily pleased :)But enough of that now, go get the MD-11, great way to start 2012! :)Markus

Markus Burkhard

I'm obviously biased towards the MD-11 so I won't comment on which airplane to get ;)Just want to say one thing very clearly for anyone considering the MD-11: Please do NOT buy the TSS sound package! It's a waste of money! Yes the external sounds are nice, but the cockpit sounds of that TSS pack are not realistic at all, seriously! One would sacrifice a lot of realism by using the TSS thing! I've spent dozens of hours recording and testing the sound set with Armen, who by the way did a wonderful job on these sounds. And you can ask anyone on the PMDG team, I'm not the one who's easily pleased :)But enough of that now, go get the MD-11, great way to start 2012! :)Markus
Oh really?Thanks for letting me know. I'll put a disclaimer every time I'll recommend anyone TSS packs :)For fun sake I'll still be using the TSS pack though, because I like it's sound more (though as it turns out isn't realistic).Ta Edited by Lukas_Mathijsen

Yeah, I bought bought both TSS packs for the MD11 long ago, and uninstalled them long ago as well. The sound quality is great, but then again, the default sounds that come with it are great as well. I do like a couple of their sounds but am also more forgiving on the whole "what is realistic" opposed to what I just want to hear.I bought their 747 packs also long ago. I did so because of a video on the fly by sound. It was awesome, but soon found out it was the same sound heard even on the ground in outside spot view (FSX's fault there). Being a legitimate licensed holder of their product though, as well as PMDG's (meaning I bought them legally), I have gone through my install and replaced a couple sounds manually. Only a couple sounds though since again, I think overall PMDG's are much better, but to each their own :(

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

The 747 may be an old addon compared to MD-11 and NGX graphics standards,but it is still the best 747 simulation out there. With the rest of the NGX variants and 777 on the PMDG assembly line, it might be a while before we see 747v2. The MD-11 is superior in the graphics department for sure. That doesn't mean the 747 can't still be enjoyed, if you can look past some of the older graphics, it is still a high quality simulation of the Queen. It is a little more 'hands on' than the MD-11. Despite the VC's older graphics, I find the beige interior of the Queen more inviting.As Ashatsea said above...get both. They are both unique flying experiences. You can find Aerosoft box versions on Amazon that are cheaper...think the MD-11 is around $50 and the 747 is about $20.I still fly older airplanes in my inventory even if they don't have the latest bells and whistles, because they are still fun to fly.

Edited by pilottj

The 747 may be an old addon compared to MD-11 and NGX graphics standards,but it is still the best 747 simulation out there. With the rest of the NGX variants and 777 on the PMDG assembly line, it might be a while before we see 747v2. The MD-11 is superior in the graphics department for sure. That doesn't mean the 747 can't still be enjoyed, if you can look past some of the older graphics, it is still a high quality simulation of the Queen. It is a little more 'hands on' than the MD-11. Despite the VC's older graphics, I find the beige interior of the Queen more inviting.As Ashatsea said above...get both. They are both unique flying experiences. You can find Aerosoft box versions on Amazon that are cheaper...think the MD-11 is around $50 and the 747 is about $20.I still fly older airplanes in my inventory even if they don't have the latest bells and whistles, because they are still fun to fly.
TehonDoes the 747-400X and the 737NGX simulate freezing fuel like the MD-11X?Thank youMichael Cubine Edited by pcubine

Does anyone have any more words for this topic? I'm still on the fence whether I should get the MD11 or wait for the 777. I mean, the MD11 is mega_shok.gif bucks... :( I could get 2 FSDT scenery for the price of 1 MD11. :(

TehonDoes the 747-400X and the 737NGX simulate freezing fuel like the MD-11X?Thank youMichael Cubine
I dont know the exact answer but I know that on a couple of high altitude flights I recently did in the NGX (FL320 and above), I had to turn on the de-ice because my fuel temp was dropping dangerously low.

Does anyone have any more words for this topic? I'm still on the fence whether I should get the MD11 or wait for the 777. I mean, the MD11 is mega_shok.gif bucks... :( I could get 2 FSDT scenery for the price of 1 MD11. :(
Are you a cargo person or a passenger person?Cargo -> MD-11, not many airlines use this one for passengers anymore.PAX -> 747, perfect for passengers, as well as for cargo operations.

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

Are you a cargo person or a passenger person?Cargo -> MD-11, not many airlines use this one for passengers anymore.PAX -> 747, perfect for passengers, as well as for cargo operations.
I'm not getting the 747, so my only options are to either wait for the 777, or get the MD11 now. (Or of course I could buy some scenery)

Depends on how eager you are to go long haul. Don't expect the 777 to be released within the next half year... Plenty of time to learn the MD11...Markus

Markus Burkhard