Sign in to follow this  
bariboy16

747 or MD-11

So I was wondering if I should get the 747 or MD-11 for my first long haul payware. Any opinions?P.S- I have the 737 NGX
I have both aircraft...With regards to development quality, then the MD is by far better, but I still prefer to fly the 747 for long haul. This is based purely on aircraft preference. The 747 has always been my favourite aircraft. So if it is true that PMDG are doing an improved 747, then....i cant wait. :(

i too own 747 md-11 and ngx.At the moment i am flying ngx but i still like the md-11.To be honest, the 747 is in the hanger not gaining any flying hours any more.If you are interested in long haul, good graphics and llearning a different way of operating the aircraft the md-11 is the way to go.I am sure i will revert back to the md-11 sometimes, because it is a beauty to fly with very interesting handlingOn the other hand, if you feel you haven't mastered the ngx yet (and i dare say not many of us have) why not continue learning all the ins and outs of this plane?your choice

MD-11,

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I've been flying the NGX since it's release date exclusively,and only recently decided that I would try the 747 again.It felt like too much of a regression step,but flying the MD-11 puts a smile on my face :)If you don't have any friends with both add-ons,then I suggest looking on Youtube and compare both,.

Jude Bradley

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I'm hoping the "Secret Project" is either a new 744, or the Wood Pigeon. Preferably a new Queen. For the record, and actually on topic to this discussion, if anyone that has queen that somehow is just board of it, I recommend AOA's training. Granted, when I got it, I wasn't as well versed as a lot of people are here with the systems, but can't image that anyone wouldn't benefit from it. It gave my queen new life and learned it could do things I would have never known about (must have been on page 1,400 of the manuals, and didn't quite get that far ;)

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

i like the 747 over the MD-11, because i prefer Boeing systems even though i have tried MD systems beforeplus, the 747 is familiar to me because i have flown on it plenty of times when i was a kidi guess it's just a nostalgic thing

If anyone wants to sell their boxed copy of the MD-11, I'll gladly buy it from you. My wallet is a little scorched after Christmas, so I'd rather not buy it full price right now.

Jude Bradley

i was a heavy user of the MD-11 before the NGX came out, not really flown it since but its a solid aircraft with deep systems model and still looks good even now. If you want to fly it realisticly you will be mostly doing cargo though hehe.The 747 still stands up well since its release and is very good. If it was me and I had to pick one it would be the MD-11 just because its a diffrent (almost airbus) style of operating.

Not sure what the expansion pack has to do with the OP subject.

Jude Bradley

Pulled the PMDG 744 out of the hangar over the weekend and flew it from YSSY to NZAA to get the cobwebs out of it (haven't flown it in well over a year). She flew beautifully and was almost too easy, lol (if you fly the NGX all the time, you'll probably feel the same). The cockpit is crude when compared to the NGX or MD-11, but she's still got it. :D

Depends on what kind of flying you are after....the 737 and the 747 are very forgiving aircraft...systems are "similar" with the same Boeing philosophy....the MD-11 is a different animal....it is NOT forgiving, particularly on approach and landing....crosswinds are a constant torture and manual landing with manual thrust control is a work of art to get it right. There are not many MD-11 fliers out there...if you want to join a semi-exclusive group and fly possibly the most challenging airlliner in FSX or the real world for that matter, go for the MD-11....if you want continuation of the philosophy of Boeing, a docile aircraft that turns gently and lands/controls with no vices, go for the 747.