Sign in to follow this  
Superpilotv2

IFR or VFR?!

How do you fly with your NGX, IFR with ATC (like in RW) or VFR nd the FMC doing all the work?
Just this remark - the above sentence makes no sense in real life since someone flying a 737 would always be IFR unless he/she wanted to stay below FL180 which is very unlikely. Flying such airplanes always happens in an IFR environment and under IFR rules - in the real world of course. :( Edited by michal

Just this remark - the above sentence makes no sense in real life since someone flying a 737 would always be IFR unless he/she wanted to stay below FL180 which is very unlikely. Flying such airplanes always happens in an IFR environment and under IFR rules - in the real world of course. :(
Not always... I've worked 737's in our pattern, I've seen BBJ's/large biz jets fly VFR (usually short hops)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

For the record you are still flying IFR if you're doing IFR procedures as they're published without ATC - this is what happens in real life if you lose your comm radios, you're expected to fly the procedures as published. Flying them as published is going to guarantee you all the terrain clearances etc - the big thing with ATC is traffic separation. In FS if you're flying without traffic just to fly though this is a moot point.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

To this online flying thing I have to say that I was about to fly IVAO one time when I got my Headset but I was afraid of all these phrases and that they wouldn´t understand me, so I let it and never tried again. Well, but this was about 2 years ago and my english has increased a lot since then. Maybe I´ll make another try.
To Steffen and to the OP,there is also an online course for flying VFR and IFR with ATC - that explains everything from scratch:- you get online exams within a VATSIM controlled airspace- you get video lectures,- you learn how to use maps and charts,- have examples of phraseology for specific exam.In total there are 14 tests (3 VFR and 11 IFR), and all of that within the very professionally organized Los Angeles ARTCC airspace. You learn different classes of airspaces, different approaches (visual, LOC, VOR, ILS, LOC BC, DME arc), SID and STARs, holding, missed approaches.. its a lot of fun!The only drawback is that you have to conform to pacific time zone, which can be pain if you live far away.I still have the final IFR test to pass myself. :)http://pilotcerts.la...c.org/page/Homecheers,Jakub Edited by alvin

Radar Contact might be perfect for you. It's vastly more realistic and nuanced than the default ATC,
I have Radar Contact and was quite dissapointed with it and after a short trial, deleted it from my hard drive. I found it awkward to use, poor color choice for the text and the ATC voices very robotic. I`m not a RW pilot and for me to go online and begin talking to people like I`m an airline captain is unimaginable. I use the default ATC in FSX, they sound more like real people. As long as your FSX flight plan is identical to the flight plan loaded in your FMC, the default ATC works just fine except for a bit too much frequency switching. :)

Just this remark - the above sentence makes no sense in real life since someone flying a 737 would always be IFR unless he/she wanted to stay below FL180 which is very unlikely. Flying such airplanes always happens in an IFR environment and under IFR rules - in the real world of course. :(
I know that this doesn't makes much sense in real life. It's just the question what are you doing with the ATC while flying such an highly advanced plane like the NGX.
????????
That (null) thing is a bug of the IP Board app. I'm currently on vacation and doing all from my iPhone.

When I'm not flying online I still usually fly IFR (certainly whenever I fly the NGX), complete with SIDs, STARs and airways. I just never use the ATC. There's no reason why you would have to use the ATC (offline) just to fly IFR procedures. In fact using the default ATC for those procedures is only marginally more realistic than using no ATC at all. I even have AI traffic by the way, just to give some nice 'background flavour'.John-Alan Pascoe

IFR only with visual approaches if weather permits and the IFR procedure would be too tedious to carry out without need.As for ATC ... well .. IMHO there's nothing really good out there. Radar Contact is promising, but RC4 has too many annoyances and lacking features for me.Nothing beats online flying with real people as controllers.

Dave P. Woycek

Hey guys, while we're on the subject,,, I don't have too much experience with tubes, only since the release of the NGX, and so my experience with ATC has been limited to flying VFR with GA. Hence my time is spent learning, especially flying SIDS and STARS. One thing I have been puzzled with, if I input a flight with SIDS and STARS, use the FSX ATC and click IFR in the flightplanner box, when I get closer to the airport ATC then begin isntructing me to newly vectored headings?? So my plan goes out of the window as I then have to start using HDG slect and not longer LNAV. What I have been doing is using the VFR ATC, purely for atmosphere, and then follow my inputted flighplan, using my own approach. I know this is not right, but some advice would be appreciated.EDIT: Or should I fly my flightplan with LNAV with IFR until which point I then get new instructions from ATC?

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

Hey guys, while we're on the subject,,, I don't have too much experience with tubes, only since the release of the NGX, and so my experience with ATC has been limited to flying VFR with GA. Hence my time is spent learning, especially flying SIDS and STARS. One thing I have been puzzled with, if I input a flight with SIDS and STARS, use the FSX ATC and click IFR in the flightplanner box, when I get closer to the airport ATC then begin isntructing me to newly vectored headings?? So my plan goes out of the window as I then have to start using HDG slect and not longer LNAV. What I have been doing is using the VFR ATC, purely for atmosphere, and then follow my inputted flighplan, using my own approach. I know this is not right, but some advice would be appreciated.EDIT: Or should I fly my flightplan with LNAV with IFR until which point I then get new instructions from ATC?
Well in real life it's not necessarily unusual for ATC to start vectoring you for approach before you reach the end of a STAR, and many STARs (especially in the US) include a vectored portion.However FS ATC doesn't know about SIDs and STARs, so the best you can do is to input the SID and STAR waypoints as waypoints in your FS flightplan and hope FS ATC will let you get to the end before it decides to start vectoring you.

Well in real life it's not necessarily unusual for ATC to start vectoring you for approach before you reach the end of a STAR, and many STARs (especially in the US) include a vectored portion.However FS ATC doesn't know about SIDs and STARs, so the best you can do is to input the SID and STAR waypoints as waypoints in your FS flightplan and hope FS ATC will let you get to the end before it decides to start vectoring you.
Thanks for the reply, appreciated.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I fly with VNAV and LNAV on every IFR flight till I get vectored to the approach, which is flown with LVL CHG and HDG.

what time in GMT is vatsim the MOST busiest? Need to catch all the fun
It obviously depends where you are in the world. The bulk of people get home from work etc after 6pm local time.

Rob Prest