Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

An informal survey!

Some basic questions that we would like to ask for an initial view of the FLIGHT announcements and images this morning from MS.  

613 members have voted

1. 1. The initial release of FLIGHT will be free. Will you download it and give it a try?

2. 2. MS has indicated in their Press Release that additional scenery and aircraft will be made available. Will you purchase these add-ons when they become available?

3. 3. FLIGHT today seems to only include GA aircraft. Do you expect airlines with appropriate aircraft to be included in the near future?

• Yes I do.
    • Nope, I could care less for the large a/c.
    • I don't really know at this point.
    • I am not going to participate in FLIGHT so it really doesn't matter.
  4. 4. MS has said that they will provide future scenery add-ons. Will you purchase them?

5. 5. Assuming all additional add-ons require you to pay for them via MS Live, what price would you be willing to pay for a scenery area?

• Over $50
    • $40 to $50
    • $30 to $40
    • $20 to $30
    • $10 to $20
    • Less than $10
    • I am not willing to pay anything for additional scenery
    • I am not going to participate in FLIGHT
  6. 6. Same question as number 5, only this time for Aircraft add-ons?

• Over $50
    • $40 to $50
    • $30 to $40
    • $20 to $30
    • $10 to $20
    • Less than $10
    • I am not willing to pay anything for additional scenery
    • I am not going to participate in FLIGHT
  7. 7. What was your first reaction when seeing the FLIGHT news?

• Happy - looking forward to flying it
    • Not so happy - I will try it out and then get excited, or not.
    • Not happy - I will not participate in FLIGHT as it is today.
    • Angry - I won't have anything to do with FLIGHT

I am undecided until I see what there is. The questionaire does not really for such an answer, so I cannot answer it. For instance, how much I would pay for an addon depends on the addon. Add a Pmdg plane and I would pay a lot. If the addon is another island, I wouldn't buy..

Helge Rasmussen

I believe MS will sooner or later give in to the wants of the FS community. It's the only way it will ever succeed and have longevity.
And do what? Add back into Flight all the true sim oriented aspects they deleted to make Flight in the first place ?? Or revoke the license they gave to LM for P3D, improve the code and release FS XI ??

And do what? Add back into Flight all the true sim oriented aspects they deleted to make Flight in the first place ?? Or revoke the license they gave to LM for P3D, improve the code and release FS XI ??
No...They could do three things that would open it up and give us FSXI.1. Release an SDK and allow 3rd party devs to import addons into Flight without the use of Microsoft Live (Possible)2. Make it more proffitable to 3rd party devs to continue their current business model. (Possible once microsoft realizes their buisiness model failed)3. Relax some of the legal limitations to addon content. (Possible as well, as long as the addons are not released by Microsoft so the 3rd party devs would be responsable for liscensing)The above would loosen things up and allow the freeware and payware devs to improve the product to FSX standards and beyond. It won't happen right away, but would probably happen.JB

No...They could do three things that would open it up and give us FSXI.1. Release an SDK and allow 3rd party devs to import addons into Flight without the use of Microsoft Live (Possible)2. Make it more proffitable to 3rd party devs to continue their current business model. (Possible once microsoft realizes their buisiness model failed)3. Relax some of the legal limitations to addon content. (Possible as well, as long as the addons are not released by Microsoft so the 3rd party devs would be responsable for liscensing)The above would loosen things up and allow the freeware and payware devs to improve the product to FSX standards and beyond. It won't happen right away, but would probably happen.JB
But still they would have big job creating whole rest of the world for Flight...Nah, after this shock I am sure that really Flight will become nothing.

The above would loosen things up and allow the freeware and payware devs to improve the product to FSX standards and beyond. It won't happen right away, but would probably happen.
But after all that work by the devs, it only restores Flight to what is essentially FSX now. What's the point in doing that? There is nothing new and advanced in Flight that you don't already have in FSX. MS abandoned the concept of true flight simming when they shut down Aces. Then they took the source code for FS, stripped it way down, added arcade elements to it, and re-named it Flight. Now you're suggesting they let the dev community add back all the stuff they stripped out. And after I buy all these add-ons, I'm still left with a sim (Flight) which looks and feels very much like what I already now have in FS - not a true generational advancement in the franchise.If MS wants to have a change of heart and bring us FS XI, let them do it the right way and base the new sim on new code optimized for multi-core CPU, and even more importantly get much of the rendering onto the GPU. If they unharnessed FS in that way, think of the great products the devs could write.

One big question that I haven't found, or even searched for.....Is Flight a 64 bit app?JB

One big question that I haven't found, or even searched for.....Is Flight a 64 bit app?JB
No. Apply some logic here. Flight will install and run on a WinXP 32bit version.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

No. Apply some logic here. Flight will install and run on a WinXP 32bit version.
Masses-reason. Many still have XP32.

Well the question was a bit of wishfull thinking ;)JB

Ironic how Microsoft has gone the way of the Airlines. Pay for play. You want baggage $, you want to carry your bags on $. You want a meal $, you want the meal to be warm $$... etc.We need an SWA model sim. (free bags AND freedom to move about the country!)Ok, so here's hoping that P3D opens the doors for the community to continue.Tyler JohnsonFSX user

Well I just saw the Flight movie in YouTube and by all aspects it is packed in a "Game Wrapper" it looks pretty....But simers, those who Sim or play with flight simulators are a little more serious with their hobby....MS, goofed, I think, and just made one more of their not to well known games, remember any?.....not making an SDK for developers is a grave error, inside developent of planes and scenery will be limited and sales not to spectations, you´ll see.....what kid will fly the game very long not being able too shoot down some AI enemy?? how many times will they enjoy flying from one airport to the other in Hawaii to start???, how many times will they enjoy crashing or water landing??..How many hard gamers will log in to play this?? when they can log in FREE at "Need for Speed" and really have a ball sneaking on the cops and having a fun race all over???....or fly all kinds of war planes on line and have hordes of ME-109s attacking the incoming bombers???....not to many I think. BUT,,,,,I can see MS Flight Opening great opportunities for developers in FSX and X-Plane and also in FS9....now is the time to delve deeper into FSX in planes and scenery!!!! and its happening too, look at the wonderful weather engine from HiFi which just came out....new sounds for so many planes, and so on and so forth....yes, I thing that simers, the real ones, will take the opportinity to better their sims and get our community developers, both freeware and payware to come up with new stuff to better our sims....someone said " you have not lost what you have not had"....too bad, we all hoped for Flight to be one step ahead in our hobby, but that´s life guys, just rev up your FS whatever Stearman and fly up to our sky, the one we have know for so many years, its fine up there...........OH, I am going home tonight and make a nice rough airfield, full of dirt and grass out there in the boondocks of FSX.

What I found immensely ironical was that in the evening I voted basically against Flight and the next morning, not 7 hours later, I got an email from Microsoft, an invitation to beta. LOL.I call that an irony...

Edited by Kosta

FS X didn't impress me when I bought it in November 2007. However, when I bought a new system in August 2011, I was hooked. I will wait and see.

FS X didn't impress me when I bought it in November 2007. However, when I bought a new system in August 2011, I was hooked. I will wait and see.
What was the impression different?

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.