Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

An informal survey!

Some basic questions that we would like to ask for an initial view of the FLIGHT announcements and images this morning from MS.  

613 members have voted

1. 1. The initial release of FLIGHT will be free. Will you download it and give it a try?

2. 2. MS has indicated in their Press Release that additional scenery and aircraft will be made available. Will you purchase these add-ons when they become available?

3. 3. FLIGHT today seems to only include GA aircraft. Do you expect airlines with appropriate aircraft to be included in the near future?

• Yes I do.
    • Nope, I could care less for the large a/c.
    • I don't really know at this point.
    • I am not going to participate in FLIGHT so it really doesn't matter.
  4. 4. MS has said that they will provide future scenery add-ons. Will you purchase them?

5. 5. Assuming all additional add-ons require you to pay for them via MS Live, what price would you be willing to pay for a scenery area?

• Over $50
    • $40 to $50
    • $30 to $40
    • $20 to $30
    • $10 to $20
    • Less than $10
    • I am not willing to pay anything for additional scenery
    • I am not going to participate in FLIGHT
  6. 6. Same question as number 5, only this time for Aircraft add-ons?

• Over $50
    • $40 to $50
    • $30 to $40
    • $20 to $30
    • $10 to $20
    • Less than $10
    • I am not willing to pay anything for additional scenery
    • I am not going to participate in FLIGHT
  7. 7. What was your first reaction when seeing the FLIGHT news?

• Happy - looking forward to flying it
    • Not so happy - I will try it out and then get excited, or not.
    • Not happy - I will not participate in FLIGHT as it is today.
    • Angry - I won't have anything to do with FLIGHT

While things are fresh in everyone's mind, I wanted to run a short and very informal survey. I look forward to looking at the community's perceptions.

I think some of the answers are little to closed.Definately try the game out, but as for purchasing anything else for the game, would entirely depend on how well the add-on was made.I mainly fly around europe in the 734. If they modeled europe in one neat little package Id spent £20 on it. If they made a 734 compareble or better than the Wilco. Id probably buy that too.I fly for a VA, will my VA move to flight? probably not because its not the entire world.

Jack Cannon

I'm very disappointed that this is the direction that Microsoft has decided to go in regards to flight simulation. It looks like for those of our ilk,(hardcore simmers) that we'll be using FSX and FS9 for a looooong time. I'll be watching Prepar 3D to see if addon developers migrate to it en mass. I'm also going to see what happens to X-Plane X as it matures as that will also be an option. As of right now, I don't see myself jumping on the Flight bandwagon past the free offering.

NAX669.png

I voted "yes" to buying scenery and aircraft, but that is entirely dependent on what I'm getting for the price point. Would I spend over $50 on something through MS Live if it's developed by PMDG? YES. Would I spend over $10 on a MS produced aircraft though MS Live? Probably Not.Quality of the scenery follows the same logic. If MS released, say, 6 different scenery packs that completed a base coverage of the whole world, I'd pay $12 or so each. However, considering the only "free" area they are releasing is ONE island out of the Hawaii chain, I find it hard to believe they will have the whole world available to purchase for anything affordable.As for MS produced scenery packs that focus on a smaller area, I would have to see the product to derive a value. The big question is will the water be warm and friendly enough for the likes of ORBX/Simwings/FSDT/FlyTampa to jump in.Will they even allow 3rd party developers an opportunity to make a profit through this system? Will they even release a public SDK?If MS is the only one controlling/producing the content, my Flight experience will END at the free demo.

Edited by Valcor

Question 2 and 4 look pretty much the same for me with no opportunity in question 4 to answer "I don't know yet".

The real question is :Comparing prior FS products to the proporsed new piece meal approach,HOW MUCH WILL IT COST TO GET THE ENTIRE WORLD AND EQUIVALENT NUMBER OF AIRCRAFT ?The cost in $ as well as hardware -processor / graphics card / RAM / Hard drive space !Does it mean that MS / Live ID is the only choice for addons ?Too many questions.Bottomline - how much and what do I get for that ?

Edited by m_av

I'll try the game out considering it's free but there is no way on Earth I am paying for any DLC, mainly because they led us on to believe this was going to be a Flight Simulator, not an Arcade game, and I don't think they deserve money for that.

I think some of the answers are little to closed.Definately try the game out, but as for purchasing anything else for the game, would entirely depend on how well the add-on was made.If they modeled europe in one neat little package Id spent £20 on it.
Question 2 and 4 look pretty much the same for me with no opportunity in question 4 to answer "I don't know yet".
The quotes above sum up my views. Whilst the news so far looks pretty disappointing I'm hoping that further details, yet to be released, will improve matters. A big question for me is whether the main flying areas will be available for purchase at launch or at least very shortly after.Hmm - the following seems to answer a lot of questions although not the way I would prefer. :(
Edited by SamYeager

Give people power to really test their personality.

I was going to make a similar poll :)I'll download it - I'm a GA fan so let's see what this engine can do. Until we know pricepoints and quality vs quantity of addons it's too hard to say whether or not I'll spend money.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I was going to make a similar poll :)I'll download it - I'm a GA fan so let's see what this engine can do. Until we know pricepoints and quality vs quantity of addons it's too hard to say whether or not I'll spend money.
The "engine" will apparently be able to render floating gold coins that you can collect to unlock new challenges. Yay.

I'd signed up to try the beta, but after what I've read today I'm no longer sure I'll even bother. I had hoped MS would really do something positive with this franchise, but the way my personal tastes run it sounds more like they've completely gutted it of everything I've liked about the previous versions. I don't care for flying small aircraft, period, and do so only extremely rarely. And I can think of few things more boring than, added to being stuck with a small aircraft, being limited to a single one of the Hawaiian Islands, which I've never visited and never will visit. And yes, I did read the part about using MS Live to download the remainder of the state. The thing I like about FS9, and even FSX, which I install only rarely, is flying heavy jets into major metropolitan and international airports, and I see virtually no chance of MS Flight making that possible in the near future. Or if they are, their PR is even worse than usual. Looks like it would be a complete waste of my time.

I'm not really sure why so many people seem to have already decided this is an arcade game. Microsoft have stated in the FAQ that the simulation elements will be retained and I for one have no basis with which to disbelieve this. Furthermore, I don't recall all this negativity on the cusp of the release of FSX, where, amongst other things, pilots would fly around in an ultralight dropping flour bag bombs or go wildlife spotting in a zebra-striped ultralight.As has also been pointed out, but seems to have been forgotton, no-one is forcing anyone to be a virtual pilot with a plastic face, bad Hawaiin shirt and bonus points for the number of hours spent inverted with blood rushing to his or her head. The free flight mode will still be there just as it has been in the MS Flight sims I have used in the last 15 years.This upcoming flight release has been exactly as I had anticipated it to be, except for the fact that the basic product is free and the pilot thing is a little silly. But since I am almost certain not amassing these "pilot points" is going to be any more mandatory than it was in order to enjoy FSX, I am not particularly concerned by that. If anything, I well may find I'll have a lot of fun with it, since it's giving me things to do.Anyway, I am very happy with what I have seen. The engine seems to run very well, the advances over the FSX engine are there and I have always been very impressed with the default MS aircraft and scenery (especially in FS2004 and FSX), even if others are not. Thus far the game information, screenshots and videos have at worst met my (hopefully high) expectations and exceeded them on most counts.

Edited by JonP01

I think many of us could see this coming and it isn't really a surprise. I doubt that FLIGHT will have any backwards compatibility due to the "store" structure and there won't be any way to tweak a .cfg to improve what they have to offer as there will only be a select few files installed on your HD in order for the game to be played via the online UI. Yep, set your settings, select your aircraft or scenario and play the sim.

\Robert Hamlich/

I doubt that FLIGHT will have any backwards compatibility due to the "store" structure and there won't be any way to tweak a .cfg to improve what they have to offer as there will only be a select few files installed on your HD in order for the game to be played via the online UI.
I for one was never expecting any backward compatability and I would actually have been extremely annoyed if there was (this is the professional programmer talking within me). It's about high time this game /simulation made a fresh start rather than having to continue to beat a dead-horse code base that is decades old and that was pushed past breaking point in FSX, let alone 6 more years down the track.I am not sure how you have decided that there will only be a select few files on the hard drive as not only has this never been stated anywhere, but it would be completely contrary to good and efficient programming practice and also contrary to the game hard drive space requirements. I think you will find it will be similar to other Live games such as the Dirt franchise, where the core game sits completely on the user's hard drive. Well, actually, I know you are completely wrong on that one. Sorry, but conclusions alot of people make on this forum are quite baffling. Edited by JonP01

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.