Sign in to follow this  
xXArch_AngelXx

How MS should have done this.

I know a lot of you's are very 'passionate' and eager to dismiss this new title, because of various differences compared to previous instalments, but may I ask this:If they approached this from a different angle (I will give an example), would you (s) have reacted differently? Less like a mob filled with fury and disappointment? No no, dont leave just yet... hear me out.For instance, If they had of possibly created a questionnaire, with various options to see whether or not the new direction would be well received, and leave space for peoples opinions and suggestions... all of this before it was set in stone, would you be more forgiving? Some may think the current movement is total blasphemy, and unwise... We don't know how things will turn out, maybe it will work, maybe not. But anyway, what's your genuine views, and what do you think they should have done differently (as in, announcing these changes, for better or for worse).

Edited by xXArch_AngelXx

My thought is that MS could have satisfied both camps-- the enthusiasts and the casual gamer. However it is obvious that they have chosen a different demographic that doesn't include the Flight Sim community, and that is why we were never consulted or asked what features we wanted, etc. As for what they should have done different. They should have let on from the get go what the game was going to be, rather than string us along with the hopes that they were going to satisfy the hardcore Flight Sim user.

What do I think they should have done? Oh I dunno, maybe listening to the user base that made the Flight name relevant to begin with.

I know a lot of you's are very 'passionate' and eager to dismiss this new title, because of various differences compared to previous instalments, but may I ask this:If they approached this from a different angle (I will give an example), would you (s) have reacted differently? Less like a mob filled with fury and disappointment? No no, dont leave just yet... hear me out.For instance, If they had of possibly created a questionnaire, with various options to see whether or not the new direction would be well received, and leave space for peoples opinions and suggestions... all of this before it was set in stone, would you be more forgiving? Some may think the current movement is total blasphemy, and unwise... We don't know how things will turn out, maybe it will work, maybe not. But anyway, what's your genuine views, and what do you think they should have done differently (as in, announcing these changes, for better or for worse).
I would been perfectly ok with the flight store, I don't even mind paying for all the regions of the world but they appear to be shutting out 3rd party development such as PMDG, even free stuff like vatsim will never be able to work with this. Some people that like slow and low flying might like this game. But for those of us into big iron and vatsim this is total crapI don't know how this crap even made it this far.. This is a game NOBODY wants or asked for.. Young kids will be bored with it in five minutes even if it has crash effects. Teens won't even look at it they want to play BF3 or COD games. Out of the adults only ones that are into flying will be remotely interested and they will stick with a more serious sim like FSX/FS9 or XPX over this..This is a game with NO market, a total waste of money.They could have made a real FS game with a MS market and had third party developers sell games in a flight sim market so MS gets a cut.. They may have made money on that but this arcade game will be a total failure and probably be the last flight related game ever released by MS for pcMy suggestion to anybody on the "flight" development team that may read this.. Don't make any large purchases and save your money, you may need it when MS pulls the plug on this project, the job market is pretty tough right now. Edited by mikea76

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

I would been perfectly ok with the flight store, I don't even mind paying for all the regions of the world but they appear to be shutting out 3rd party development such as PMDG, even free stuff like vatsim will never be able to work with this. Some people that like slow and low flying might like this game. But for those of us into big iron and vatsim this is total crapI don't know how this crap even made it this far.. This is a game NOBODY wants or asked for.. Young kids will be bored with it in five minutes even if it has crash effects. Teens won't even look at it they want to play BF3 or COD games. Out of the adults only ones that are into flying will be remotely interested and they will stick with a more serious sim like FSX/FS9 or XPX over this..This is a game with NO market, a total waste of money.They could have made a real FS game with a MS market and had third party developers sell games in a flight sim market so MS gets a cut.. They may have made money on that but this arcade game will be a total failure and probably be the last flight related game ever released by MS for pc
I disagree on some points there, as you are being furious over it... understandable, but I want a genuine, completely honest response... that isn't affected by ones personal emotional state XD (trying to be posh a bit, since I cant seem to put it into words)I'm a 'teen', many of us don't like COD (I despise it, with a passion). Don't generalise my age range based on a few stupid kids, screaming over mics online. Its more to do with maturity, than age.Anyway, I doubt that MS had much of an option, other than going the free2play direction. Recession, MS tightening its sphincter on the budget as a result... I honestly thought that MS would cancel the Flight 'project'. I think Its best, you wait till you actually lay your hands on a build of the game (be it final or the beta build), then you can safely comment on whether you like it or not. Its free, so why not give it a try. If only some people could be a little less stubborn, and get out of their comfort zone once in a while, they might find some things that they once hated, they realise they actually like. Its free, there is little to lose other than a few minutes to download, and a few hours to give it a go. There is no sign-up fee, or anything like that. A lot of games are turning towards free to play, It seems that its the games that may otherwise struggle with sales, that are making this turn. Hold your horses about me saying that, just think to yourself... do you really think that we are the ONLY consumer market they are aiming for? Nope. I would have seriously considered going the free2play route, If I was in MS's shoes. (thank god I'm not, right, RIGHT? :( )Anyway, that's my views on the matter. :(Oh golly gosh, I'm feeling rather posh today. :(

I disagree on some points there, as you are being furious over it... understandable, but I want a genuine, completely honest response... that isn't affected by ones personal emotional state XD (trying to be posh a bit, since I cant seem to put it into words)I'm a 'teen', many of us don't like COD (I despise it, with a passion). Don't generalise my age range based on a few stupid kids, screaming over mics online. Its more to do with maturity, than age.Anyway, I doubt that MS had much of an option, other than going the free2play direction. Recession, MS tightening its sphincter on the budget as a result... I honestly thought that MS would cancel the Flight 'project'. I think Its best, you wait till you actually lay your hands on a build of the game (be it final or the beta build), then you can safely comment on whether you like it or not. Its free, so why not give it a try. If only some people could be a little less stubborn, and get out of their comfort zone once in a while, they might find some things that they once hated, they realise they actually like. Its free, there is little to lose other than a few minutes to download, and a few hours to give it a go. There is no sign-up fee, or anything like that.A lot of games are turning towards free to play, It seems that its the games that may otherwise struggle with sales, that are making this turn. Hold your horses about me saying that, just think to yourself... do you really think that we are the ONLY consumer market they are aiming for? Nope. I would have seriously considered going the free2play route, If I was in MS's shoes. (thank god I'm not, right, RIGHT? :( )Anyway, that's my views on the matter. :(Oh golly gosh, I'm feeling rather posh today. :(
Jamie, You have to admit most teenagers are not going to be interested in this title. HELL 99 percent of adults would rather pass out in front of the tv with a beer in hand then play MS collect the coins and dodge balloons. Another thing most people can afford to buy a videogame. Any adult that can't afford 50 bucks seriously needs to concentrate on other things in life then a " fun flying game"My issue is not with the sales model they chose, hell If the rest of the world scenery was 500 bucks and they fixed the weather problems that earlier titles had I would pay the 500 in a heartbeat. I also do not have a issue buying 3rd party add-on's from a flight store. The issue I have is there will be NO 3rd party content.I am not interested in bi-planes ... I want PMDG or beyond systems, I want realistic weather.Trust me this will be a epic failure unless they get the 3rd party developers involved. Because the casual gamer is not interested in dodging balloons and collecting coins in a bi-plane. If they want the casual gamer they would be better off making MS Flight Afghanistan and have a F-16 you can blow up stuff with Edited by mikea76

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

I am not interested in bi-planes ... I want PMDG or beyond systems, I want realistic weather.Trust me this will be a epic failure unless they get the 3rd party developers involved.
That, I agree on.

Since FLIGHT will be a game and World of Warcraft is enormously popular, why not just make FLIGHT a Massively Multiplayer Role Playing Game? Call it World of FlightCraft!You can create your avatar who is an ancient pilot and sorcerer who can shoot lightning bolts out of his fingers. At the low levels you only have to fight ATC controllers to prevent them from giving you vectors around the Class B airspace and mobs of zombie ramp agents who keep trying put bags on your airplane thus making it impossible to calculate weight and balance. To get to the next level you have to fight the director of the Honolulu FAA office that tries to bury you in paperwork and prevent you from filing an IFR flight plan. If you win you get to purchase more scenery levels and fight regional FAA personnel from around the country. If you lose you are stuck only flying VFR over the Honolulu for the rest of your life. Eventually you become a powerful Sith Lord of immense power with an Airline Transport Pilot license. You must fly your airplane to Washington DC (add-on package purchase required) where you have to engage in combat to the death with the Director of the NTSB by trying to prevent him from revoking your pilots licence. But he is very powerful and can kill you with ancient government bureaucracy at any time so you have to make sure you have a powerful aviation attorney with you who can fire massive class action lawsuits at him. This will weaken him and distract him long enough so you can shut the airplane door on his fingers while he's reaching in to take the keys out of the ignition. While he is yelling in pain you give him massive paper cuts cuts with the edge of your plastic FAA Airman's Certificate until he bleeds to death and then you win!I foresee World of FlightCraft making millions if not billions of dollars thanks to me.

Edited by Mike T

Hi,Not sure what the thinking is/was when designing the game. Most will be bored long before they purchase anything. I think this is going to be just as bad as Windows ME.

Former Beta Tester - (for a few companies) - As well as provide Regional Voice Set Recordings

Four-Intel I9/10900K | One-AMD-7950X3D | Three-Asus TUF 4090s | One-3090 | One-1080TI | Five-64GB DDR5 RAM 6000mhz | Five-Cosair 1300 P/S | Five-Pro900 2TB NVME        One-Eugenius ECS2512 / 2.5 GHz Switch | Five-Ice Giant Elite CPU Coolers | Three-75" 4K UHDTVs | One-24" 1080P Monitor | One-19" 1080P Monitor | One-Boeing 737NG Flight Deck

Mike,I have this very funny image in my head, I see Jim flying in the air above Hawaii, rushing to gather coins in the virtual sky and trying to beat the time trial so he can move to the next beta level. I believe there's a jet at the end of the rainbow....Big%20Grin.gif

My thought is that MS could have satisfied both camps-- the enthusiasts and the casual gamer.
Anybody who has ever tried to straddle this fence has always failed one way or another. It is literally impossible to create a single product that will effectively appeal to two completely different markets.

Not sure what the thinking is/was when designing the game. Most will be bored long before they purchase anything. I think this is going to be just as bad as Windows ME.
Worse than ME, Mike. Much, much worse. :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I'm also a female who "loves flying," but I've been a girl gamer a LOT longer than you. I'm also very involved in single player Role Playing Games (have a gaming website, make huge overhaul mods, and run a small international gaming forum).I've personally witnessed the decay of computer RPGs, as the role-playing part as been reduced to the point that that most RPGs are now mostly just action first (or third) person shooters (or slashers). The reason for their decline is that the largest developers decided to cater to casual gamers (who would not even like playing a real RPG). There are hardly any PC RPGs left, and most of these are Xbox games that were ported to the PC. If it wasn't for the modding community, I would have given up on RPGs several years ago.Now I'm witnessing the decline of flight simulators, as developers like Microsoft are catering to casual gamers and ignoring the long time supporters of their flightsims. Money is tight for me . . . I don't have much money left after the bills have been paid each month, but I would have managed to come up with $50 (or even $ mega_shok.gif) for Flight . . .if it was actually FSXI.I'm not angry, but this is all pretty depressing for me. I supported MS until today, while they finally admitted that they have discarded the "hard-core" flightsim community ("Hard-core" now seems to mean any gamer who actually enjoys games/sims that have any depth, or take longer than 30 minutes to master).I had real hopes for Flight, but Microsoft blew it, big time. You don't turn your back on your former/current customers, just to make a buck, That is wrong. MS should have been honest with us from the start, instead of stringing us along about how "realistic" Flight was going to be. In fact, in my opinion, they are still not being honest with us.

Edited by Arwen

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Now I'm witnessing the decline of flight simulators...
Correction: you're seeing the decline of Microsoft Flight Simulator. There are other developers who continue to wholeheartedly support the hardcore sim enthusiasts. Namely Laminar Research. The developers of FlightGear also deserve a mention.

I'm also a female who "loves flying," but I've been a girl gamer a LOT longer than you. I'm also very involved in single player Role Playing Games (have a gaming website, make huge overhaul mods, and run a small international gaming forum).I've personally witnessed the decay of computer RPGs, as the role-playing part as been reduced to the point that that most RPGs are now mostly just action first (or third) person shooters (or slashers). The reason for their decline is that the largest developers decided to cater to casual gamers (who would not even like playing a real RPG). There are hardly any PC RPGs left, and most of these are Xbox games that were ported to the PC. If it wasn't for the modding community, I would have given up on RPGs several years ago.Now I'm witnessing the decline of flight simulators, as developers like Microsoft are catering to casual gamers and ignoring the long time supporters of their flightsims. Money is tight for me . . . I don't have much money left after the bills have been paid each month, but I would have managed to come up with $50 (or even $ mega_shok.gif) for Flight . . .if it was actually FSXI.I'm not angry, but this is all pretty depressing for me. I supported MS until today, while they finally admitted that they have discarded the "hard-core" flightsim community ("Hard-core" now seems to mean any gamer who actually enjoys games/sims that have any depth, or take longer than 30 minutes to master).I had real hopes for Flight, but Microsoft blew it, big time. You don't turn your back on your former/current customers, just to make a buck, That is wrong. MS should have been honest with us from the start, instead of stringing us along about how "realistic" Flight was going to be. In fact, in my opinion, they are still not being honest with us.
The funny thing is they are not even going to make a buck.. The only people interested in flight games are simmers, and simmers don't like coin gathering bi plane games.

Mike Avallone

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.