Sign in to follow this  
SpiritFlyer

A Minority Report

You would be even more dissapointed if you did get in!
I am excited for FLIGHT. Unlike the sourness of this community.

CES Jan 10-13th may shed more light on the topic. Hopefully someone from here will ask the tough questions and get insightful information. Great post Stephen, I am with you on this one.

Anywho, the OP made alot of valid points. A friend of mine saw alot of functionality hidden in the beta that seems to support a deeper flightsim than what has been shown.
Indications from many Beta testers that are leaking out is that the physics and flight modeling in FLIGHT is of another class altogether. It is said to be better than anything that has come before it or that is even possible in any present flight simulator. If that is so, then FLIGHT is no mere amateur, but a world class, leading edge advance in flight reproduction technology. It's also fun, I hear. Hope so!Kind regards, Edited by SpiritFlyer

Stephen, don't take this the wrong way, but 'leaks' and second or third hand rumours about the engine/aero model of flight are something I personally wouldn't put a lot of faith in, not until I see an actual published report from a reputable source, or check it out myself.TL:DR version:wikipedian_protester.png

Exactly, I agree 100%, I wouldn't either, unless it could be confirmed by meeting one criteria, or the other. :smile:Question, and it is not intended to be rhetorical, but in earnest, something that is very evident (to me) in AVSIM these days: Bad news is always easier to believe than good. Why is that?Kind regards,

Edited by SpiritFlyer

Well, I think Bad News is easier to believe if you are a pessimist. I also think the community as a whole took a big punch to the nethers when the SDK denial info was being released. It was a big grain of salt, and changed the lens through which the community saw flight. It also confirms doubts and fears that had only been minor nags before.Microsoft hurt us once, so now we're openly questioning anything that appears to be good news. (Because hey, we thought MS Flight was good news when we first learned about it years ago.)

Well, I think Bad News is easier to believe if you are a pessimist. I also think the community as a whole took a big punch to the nethers when the SDK denial info was being released. It was a big grain of salt, and changed the lens through which the community saw flight. It also confirms doubts and fears that had only been minor nags before.Microsoft hurt us once, so now we're openly questioning anything that appears to be good news. (Because hey, we thought MS Flight was good news when we first learned about it years ago.)
Thanks for the direct answer. I know as I was part of the community as well, and was sickened with the news as then presented, but I wanted to hear the other side of the story, but Microsoft was silent. We need to hear both sides when accusations of ill conduct are made. I regret my early kneejerk reactions. Be that as it may, there really is reason to hope for something better here. Edited by SpiritFlyer

Oh yes, I agree entirely Stephen, I sincerely hope that MS realizes what it is doing and fixes the situation. But as I mentioned, because of the lack of trust they have engendered with their conduct so far, that hope is a glimmer at best. I personally find the openness and honesty from Laminar Research refreshing. Reading their blog and seeing them openly admitting mistakes is quite nice for a change. It is for that reason that I have voted with my wallet and bought into their product. I have been content with what I have seen so far. As to Flight, well, it could turn around and be what I would like to see it become, but it strikes me that it most likely will not happen at this juncture, just going off the information currently available and the conduct of MS up to this point.

I understand, Microsoft is not easy to love and trust, that is for sure. I would not be expressing anything positive about FLIGHT at all, if I was not convinced the hard way, and I most certainly am. I hope that both new sims flourish, and I think that will likely be the case.Kind regards,

Suggestions that Microsoft's marketing team is good at what they do flies in the face of their abject failure as a consumer marketing company. Let's review some of their raging successes....The iphone...no...sorry, that was apple. Instead we got Windows Mobile, a system so frustrating I ruined my Treo throwing it against the wall when it froze up for the umpteenth time on an important business trip.Oh, and remember the Kin? Didn't think so. I'm surprised Microsoft hasn't tried to buy up every internet reference to that flop like Jane Fonda tried to buy up every copy of Barbarella...the ipod...no...sorry, my mistake again. How could I forget that marketing powerhouse the Zune...how careless ofme.Ok, how about You Tube....ah, well, there I go again. Not Microsoft. They did publish Soap Box, but the six people who posted video there would never admit it in public today....Microsoft's marketing geniuses must have forseen the market for the ipad..right? Hmm, guess not.Let's face it, once you get past the X-Box, Money (until the banks took that market away) and Encarta (now replaced by Wikipedia) you have a legacy of abject failure to read the consumer market. It's hard not to see this as a cynical ploy to try to try to pretend this is Farmville or other games with micro economies so they can go to the stock market and say"Hey, we are still a growth stock..."Colin in Seattle

Flight for whatever it is, and most likely it's just a somewhat cleaned up in code FSX............would certainly have many capabilities, but if it comes down to no SDK release, No leaked SDK, no way to access or edit the code, then it is useless for our purposes.Even a leaked SDK would not resolve much because devleopers wouldn't get involved with that, not the payware ones.

I think that the minority is likely to be suffering from some serious Hopium withdrawal when Flight does release. Anyone else here remember what FS was like before the first real SDK appeared (in the form of FS6IPC, created not by Microsoft, but by Adam Szofran)?Colin is right...Microsoft has had a whole series of prominent and disastrous false starts. The huge market penetration of their core OS cash cow allows them to paper over and keep surviving a string of otherwise epic blunders that would wreck many (most) other software companies. Flight sure looks to be shaping up to be another one of those blunders.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I think that the minority is likely to be suffering from some serious Hopium withdrawal when Flight does release
Nail%20Biting.gif LOL, I hopium not! :(

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.