Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clutch Cargo

Could AMD be improving their drivers due to MS FLight?

My thinking is MS would be asking for improved drivers for Flight and thinking the code is similar to FSX this could in turn resolve some issues?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Why would a DX 9 piece of software need improved drivers?What FSX issues are directly the result of AMD drivers? Please let me know because I have been an AMD/ATI man for life and nothing has ever caused a problem for me in any version of FS.

Really? Nothing? Works perfectly? Everytime I throw in my 6970 I get severe shimmering, AA issues, moire effects. And this is after some of the tweaks. And if you don't apply the tweaks you can have tearing, severe drop in FPS with clouds.Clutch

If thousands of FS users are using thousands of ATI/AMD drivers and there are not waves of reports of problems after HOW MANY years of usage, what does this come down to? I can post some 12.1 beta driver/FS9 shots if anyone would like!

after HOW MANY years of usage
True only for older ATI/AMD cards. Useage of the 7xxx series can be measured only in terms of days.Cheers,- jahman.

Pardon me, but I see tons of complaints with users that have ATI/AMD cards in FSX. Why do you think Bojote created the Shader 3 mod? Jim, you said it yourself. You've been "an AMD/ATI man for life". That screams the fanboyism you so blatantly speak against on the Intel post. Give it a break, man.To the OP. I highly doubt FSX will benefit any driver updates for Flight.

Zach,3 posts since October 30th, hardly "tons of complaints" so quit blowing smoke.Yes, I have used AMD/ATI for life. That is a true statement, nothing more, nothing less. If you want to read into that go right ahead, but that's you doing that, not me.

Jim, you turned this thread about new drivers into some sort of quest for vindication for ATI/AMD. Just about every Intel/Nvidia/ATI/AMD thread you chime in on quickly turns into either this or an Intel vs. AMD/Nvidia vs ATI thread. The writing is on the walls. Me and everyone else in these forums "read into that".3 posts since October? Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is one tiny community and FSX is 6 years old. Folks have had enough time to know the best route for building or buying an FSX rig.Blowing smoke would be giving one and two word answers to a forum member here. Saying things like:

user error
If you've figured out the secret formula to having an AMD system running FSX balls to the wall, why don't you share it to those in need? --Besides the fact that you exclusively use default aircraft.-- It gets very tiresome having you give nonsensical statements, only to have no proof and no clues as to how you've achieved it.

Hey Jim, please tell me what's your secret? What card do you have and what settings in CCC? I could always try to replicate what you have.Clutch

CC,When I get back on that computer I'll be glad to post my information so hold tight!

OK, here it is:5770 card12.1 Beta driversUse a driver cleaner between every driver install/re-install.AA 4X Filter Wide-tentAF 4XTessellation OffCat. AI High QualityMipmap Detail High QualityWait for Vert. Refresh Always OnAA Mode Super-Sample AA............................... If you get a super bad FPS hit with clouds then back this off one notch to Multi-Sample

Thanks Jim, Gave 'er a shot. Took out my 580 and put in the 6970. Installed the bete drivers you had, same settings as you but I did not see that "wide-tent" option in CCC? Had FSX build a new .cfg file and performed no tweaks.Did not really see a difference as compared to my last trials of comparing the two. It did help me refreash my memory of why I keep leaning towards the 580 and I jotted a few of thes down:1, Used the default trike flight up in Washinton. First thing noticed immediatedly was all the tree shimmering. It seemed to really stick out this time around as it being winter up there.2. The drop down lists have a font that is hard to read and nearly transparent.3, Buildings once again gave off a flashing or moire effect. Particulary noticible at airports.Had a few other quirks but that could just be the "beta" talking. Tried other settings as well but just wasn't happy with the results.Thx for your input as it did help me finally to put this issue to rest.P.S. - Well, after just reading some reports of the new AMD 7970 trickling in, I am putting my purchase into a "holding pattern" for a bit, as this new card sounds promising for FSX. (ah.... it never ends! Rolling%20Eyes.gif )Clutch