Sign in to follow this  
MaorC

Model for the DA42

Hi ,Yesterday i posted a topic what aircraft should i choose for IFR Twin engine aircraft ? Some people said " DA42 " and gave me a picture , the airplane looks really cool and i would like to try it .There is any realistic model for this beutifull a/c ?Thanks ,Maor .

Hi ,Yesterday i posted a topic what aircraft should i choose for IFR Twin engine aircraft ?Some people said " DA42 " and gave me a picture , the airplane looks really cool and i would like to try it .There is any realistic model for this beutifull a/c ?Thanks ,Maor .
http://www.eaglesoftdg.com/DiamondDA42.htm is nice.DJ

Not sure about realism but the exterior looks nice. The VC is not that great tho. Another model is by irissimulations (http://www.irissimulations.com/product-pro-da42.php).It looks ok and has a better vc than the eaglesoft one.Not sure if the Irissim*.* is realistic either.Vendors very often say "tested by real world pilots" but it is hard to tell if it's true.

Anyone interested can rely on the truth regarding our DA42 Twinstar.That truth is that it really was tested by a personal friend who regularly flies his wife on cross country outings in non other than a DA42 Twinstar with the Thielart Diesel Engines.In addition he worked closely with our resident FDE Expert to "hit the numbers" and have that 'feel' that only a real pilot can attest to.The included G1000 is true to the real world DA42 Twinstar in appearance and operation at an entertainment level/pricepoint.Finally we offered a "direct dropin option" for owners of the Mindstar G1000 for DA42 Pilots who may want a more in depth G1000 than is included at this pricepoint.PS: Almost forgot that Eaglesoft uses the Flight One Ecommerce System and offers a 30 Day refund option as well.

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

I have the IRIS version of the DA-42 and it is pretty cool. It features a mildly modified from default glass set and avionics and reasonable engine sounds. My main issue with the model is a problem getting the weight/balance properly set for flight....its a bit of a PITA if I am honest and I have my final compromise balance weights stashed somewhere. I think the folks at IRIS were going to sort this out but to date I have not been aware of any patch scheme. The sound from the engines is pretty uniques and the flaps make a rather satisfying "snick...hiss" during deployment. Its a reasonable model at a fair price with limited FPS hit...in my opinion. Heck I got it for a less than a fiver during the 2010 Christmas sales :( .I'll dredge up a screenshot or two for you...bear with me.I have not flown the Eaglesoft version. Looking at the spec it would appear Eaglesoft has significantly more detailed systems modelling judging from the presence of anti-ice options in the cockpit (IRIS does not show this....just pitot heater.). When I got the IRIS version I was not aware of the Eaglesoft model being available at the time. Judging from other folks anecdotes regarding Eaglesoft products I am sure you wouldn't go wrong there.Gimme a few minutes and I'll chuck a couple images of the IRIS version up.

AVSIM Staff Reviewer
Bush Is Good!
banTedG01.jpg

OK I forgot the IRIS images were on my previous PC drive. So I booted it up just for you and took a quick test flight.Sounds are great...seriously! The TDI version is just awesome.The avionics are the mildly modified default Garmins; however, the IRIS-specific stuff is quite lovely.The balance issue remains....this is with the old hotfix 1.05 applied.Only the two popups as you can see....L/R PFDNo anti-ice etc.Lots of liveriesA distracting visual bug that I circled in yellow where the glare shield is not properly aligned...not very nice.It seems to have a mild frame hit...nothing major.Anyway this is not a review of any kind. Just my opinion and some images. For the money I paid it remains a reasonable model.Hope this was helpful. I hope Mr Hamilton will be kind enough to chuck a couple of comparison images with the Eaglesoft version for the sake of fairness :( .CheersTed**edit**The woman riding in the CP seat looks like she would rather be elsewhere :(**edit**These are pretty lo-fi images with a quicky paint conversion from .bmp. Things look crisper close-up at proper resolution.

AVSIM Staff Reviewer
Bush Is Good!
banTedG01.jpg

I do not recommend the Iris DA42, mainly because it doesn't put DME on the G1000, plus a host of other small items--starting with the occupants. Like most Iris airplanes, it's great if you get it on sale, but otherwise....Actually, the gap between the glareshield and panel is quite realistic and typical of Diamond airplanes.I have no experience with the Eaglesoft model.

Edited by Tube and Rag

I'm the one who made the post to recommend you look at the DA-42 for twin flight training. I also have the Christmas 2010 version for $5.00, but I'm not sure I got got my moneys worth as I don't don't even have it loaded on my HD anymore.The Flight1 money back in 30 days should be a no-brainer. Check it out yourself on your system for 29 days and then you will know the answer.Another recommendation is the old Just Flight twin - Beech Duchess. It has a limited demo, maybe 10 days, available. Absolutely great sound, designed to look beatup inside due to being based on a flight training local model. Older avionics but can be updated easily. Should also be dirt cheap by now. I still fly it quite often. Might be the best older twin that I own.Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

I do not recommend the Iris DA42, mainly because it doesn't put DME on the G1000, plus a host of other small items--starting with the occupants. Like most Iris airplanes, it's great if you get it on sale, but otherwise....Actually, the gap between the glareshield and panel is quite realistic and typical of Diamond airplanes.
A huge thank you for the info regarding what I always thought was a bug looking at the glareshield/panel gap! Apologies to IRIS for my lack of RW knowledge :( .And I actually quite like the IRIS DME....its the little custom display below the left side PFD.

AVSIM Staff Reviewer
Bush Is Good!
banTedG01.jpg