Sign in to follow this  
Bartbear

This doesn't look promissing ...

Microsoft not only spend tons of money on an engine, but also on a convient SDK for outside developers aswell.What have they seen in return....?
What should they see in return for the work of other people? Does apple get something in return from those who sell the iPhone cases? Also why did they make an sdk for fsx if they did not want people to make their own scenery? Edited by Devinci

Back then a pubic, free-for-all SDK made sense. Today, it doesn't. Times change, it's different now - thank Apple :)

What should they see in return for the work of other people? Does apple get something in return from those who sell the iPhone cases? Also why did they make an sdk for fsx if they did not want people to make their own scenery?
Bad example. Yes apple does get paid for paid apps in the app store. Free apps are hosted, paid for by the paid apps.sorry, Microsoft wants to develope their own products, and you have no right to tell them not too.

But I saw another of your comment where you said something like the 3rd party dev's using FSX to make a lot of money! You know what I'm talking about...
I sure do !I was mainly talking about the likes of Orbx who have made a big business out of FSX but yet John Venema comes on here and says how unfair MS are nowbecause they want 30% of any 3rd parties money. Seems sorta fair to me ! Afterall, that's what a franchise is all about.Fred. Edited by RYR738

Live marketplace=no piracy.Microsoft marketing=large audienceOrbx on live=no piracy+audience=Profit!
And you get to turn your code over to MS and you have to jump through all their hoops just to MAYBE get something accepted.

And you get to turn your code over to MS and you have to jump through all their hoops just to MAYBE get something accepted.
Welcome to 2012.

Yes, their business (product) their rules.....don't like it, don't do it.

Bad example. Yes apple does get paid for paid apps in the app store. Free apps are hosted, paid for by the paid apps.sorry, Microsoft wants to develope their own products, and you have no right to tell them not too.
It's not the 3rd party dev's fault. The system was already like that... and I think for many previous fs versions.
I sure do !I was mainly talking about the likes of Orbx who have made a big business out of FSX but yet John Venema comes on here and says how unfair MS are nowbecause they want 30% of any 3rd parties money. Seems sorta fair to me ! Afterall, that's what a franchise is all about.Fred.
30% is too much. Unless they are to provide you with a website or their market place where you can sell it. In any case now even the freeware developers don't have the possibility to make addons. That's a shame if you know the number of freewares available on avsim and how they changed FSX, FS9, etc. It's all about business, but let's wait and see if this one is gonna be a success... Edited by Devinci

It's not the 3rd party dev's fault. The system was already like that... and I think for many previous fs versions.
Irrelevant.The system was like that. It isn't anymore. Resistance is futile.
30% is too much. Unless they are to provide you with a website or their market place where you can sell it. In any case now even the freeware developers don't have the possibility to make addons. That's a shame if you know the number of freewares available on avsim and how they changed FSX, FS9, etc.
They would only allow it on the marketplace. And there is next to no piracy, in comparison to where it's being sold now.

It's not the 3rd party dev's fault. The system was already like that... and I think for many previous fs versions.30% is too much. Unless they are to provide you with a website or their market place where you can sell it. In any case now even the freeware developers don't have the possibility to make addons. That's a shame if you know the number of freewares available on avsim and how they changed FSX, FS9, etc. It's all about business, but let's wait and see if this one is gonna be a success...
Refer to my post above yours.

Refer to my post above yours.
I'm not asking them to "not do their business". I'm only saying that I don't like it and I said why. You can always hope that someday, they're gonna make all the major airports and something close to the NGX. Edited by Devinci

It's not the 3rd party dev's fault. The system was already like that... and I think for many previous fs versions.30% is too much. Unless they are to provide you with a website or their market place where you can sell it. In any case now even the freeware developers don't have the possibility to make addons. That's a shame if you know the number of freewares available on avsim and how they changed FSX, FS9, etc.
I agree with you up to a point.I would only love to see MS release an SDK for Flight (which I think they will) if some sort of agreement can be reached.Some of the stuff 3rd party guys have produced is incredible and will always be much better than what MS can produce. I'm sure MS are well aware of this.Maybe Flight won't be the huge hit they are expecting ! I'm sure they have a plan B. Any well organized business has !At the moment it's a loose loose situation. We, the flight sim community loose out on the great addons. MS, loose out on the money those addons could make them.The 3rd party guys loose out on the money they could make if Flight is very successfull.Let's hope this all turns out well for everyone !!Fred. Edited by RYR738

I agree with you up to a point.I would only love to see MS release an SDK for Flight (which I think they will) if some sort of agreement can be reached.Some of the stuff 3rd party guys have produced is incredible and will always be much better than what MS can produce. I'm sure MS are well aware of this.Maybe Flight won't be the huge hit they are expecting ! I'm sure they have a plan B. Any well organized business has !At the moment it's a loose loose situation. We, the flight sim community loose out on the great addons. Ms, loose out on the money those addons could make them.The 3rd party guys loose out on the money they could make.Let's hope this all turns out well for everyone !!Fred.
What we need is competition. If only X-Plane was much better than it is right now MS would consider listening to the flight sim community as nobody would play around with their overly expensive dlc game. At the beginning I was hoping to see much more in the beta. But it turns out to be like what we all know. Also they forget that the computers are getting more and more powerful and almost all major addons are already made for FSX. So people will use it for the next 10 years!

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.