Sign in to follow this  
Guest dlrk

Why is AVSIM supporting flight?

Let people enjoy flying the way they want to. Its really an elitist point of view to say "It must be MY way or its not a sim" and that just rubs me wrong in every possible way.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

Let people enjoy flying the way they want to. Its really an elitist point of view to say "It must be MY way or its not a sim" and that just rubs me wrong in every possible way.
As it should. It is the "nanny state" writ big on the Flight Simulation / Gaming / Ad Nauseam community. It is an unacceptable attitude as far as I am concerned and I suspect that there are far more that agree with me.

Registering and getting banned all within two hours is NOT a record, but close. I have to worry about our world sometimes... With posts like his I have to wonder what our collective IQ is... to ponder that too far is scary. :Skull:
:Just Kidding:

As for me, I am now glad AVSIM supports the Flight forum and do not want to see this change. I came into beta testing a hard core flight simmer and retired real world pilot expecting to see the next generation replacement for FSX. I was initially disappointed and offended with what I saw in Flight. However, as I continued to participate in the beta, I changed my mind. After I accepted it was not a replacement to FSX, but a complement, I started having fun. I am now a supporter.I still fly FSX, as well as X-plane 10, and now Flight. Even though my time for simming is a premium, I enjoy the strengths and variety offered by each and THIS helps keep my flight experience from going stale.All I have to say is, eachnofnus has to decide what we like, but perhaps give it a chance.Happy flying, GW

Guest russellbdavis

I consider flight simming a large family of products. There isn't any one product that defines the genre. My forte is air traffic control, and not flying at all. But that is also a very crucial piece of genre that we classify as "flight simulation". So, there is always room for all products related to the genre that make up a collective conciousness. FLIGHT is just a new member of the family, and really isn't meant to replace any other member of the family, although some would like to think so. It's really an opportunity for everyone to add a new element to their collection. I consider AVSIM the largest authority on the genre available on the web today. I like it that AVSIM covers every aspect/product available for our hobby. It'd be pretty boring if they didn't. I like being able to visit a single site that is so informed about all the virtual aviation products. So I don't consider AVSIM "endorsing" FLIGHT, simply doing what they do best; keeping all of us simmers informed.

As it should. It is the "nanny state" writ big on the Flight Simulation / Gaming / Ad Nauseam community. It is an unacceptable attitude as far as I am concerned and I suspect that there are far more that agree with me.
Yes sir. Exactly that!

Guest jahman
Its really an elitist point of view to say "It must be MY way or its not a sim" and that just rubs me wrong in every possible way.
We are not elitist!Flight was expected by many here to be the continuation of the MSFS franchise. When it wasn't, many of us were upset (and still are), that while folks enjoying Flight get a new sim, whe are no longer going to get new versions of MSFS.So all concerned, please do try and understand that.To Administrators, by now you must all be tired of hearing discontent from us over Flight not being FSXI, so for balance please make an effort to also stop any and all criticism of us folks not happy with Flight, by those who do enjoy Flight.Many thanks! (And back to lurking on the Flight forum.)Cheers,- jahman.

I don't get all these posts.
Why is betrayal difficult to understand?
It's been my impression that this forum is for all software products which simulate virtual flight. FSX is one, X-Plane is one, Prepar3D is one and Flight is one.
Indeed, and I do conceded to Flight what it now stands to be.Yes,
These posts are the same as going over into the X-Plane subforum and saying "X-Plane is crap". The FSX subforum, the FS9 subforum, the X-Plane subforum, etc, is still there. If you don't like Flight, you don't have to be here. Other's want to give it a chance and want to use this subforum to discuss technical issues and experiences with the software. I understand peoples dissappointment, but nothing you do or say here will make Microsoft change their plans, all it's doing is cluttering the forum up.
Eventually (and forcefully) the "Let it be" perspective will reign. However, when this forum was closed, we were encouraged to opine on Flight as it is released, and some of us are.Our disappointment/betrayal can be perhaps summed through this allegory:Imagine in 1985/1986 you heard that Van Halen was coming out with a new record and tour. Imagine that you were given the impression that the "good ol' Van Halen" that you know and love will be coming to town again. Then you started getting picture of Sammy Hagar and you still were told: "no man, I promise, this is going to respect all that is Vintage Halen." Then, the record comes out and it's Van Hagar.Now, I actually like Van Hagar for what it was, but I'd be sore too if the ol' bait and switch happened.My experience is on par with all of the evidence leaked during beta and I am sorry for the loss that the franchise has experienced in Flight.Since it has only been out for a day or two, and since we were asked to hold our judgment until we had evidence to draw from (rather the speculative conjecture), it stands to reason that some will offer summary judgment in a negative fashion. Sim City was a franchise that really expanded and matured over time and spawned a great "lightweight" title called "the sims." Rather than leaving Sim City to its own evolution, it was decided that Sim City too must be watered down and "gamed up" and the result was Sim City Societies. History, thus far, has shown that this was ill-fated.In any case, please give the disappointed and disenfranchised a respectable period to critique, criticize, and otherwise, respectfully (sans personal attacks, etc.), the ability to properly mourn now that we have the artifact in hand. To ignore the legacy of the titles that came before Flight is not only short-sighted, but it is unfair. Flight is a step in the lineage and, accordingly, it is somewhat fair to compare Flight longitudinally to its predecessors.I don't want to be muzzled, nor do I want to muzzle any. Once I have properly mourned, I will leave Flight to be the game it wants to be.Thank you. Edited by ahuimanu

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

The problem I have with the Avsim review is that it tries to string along those of us who have come to expect a full flight simulation experience. Flight does not provide that. Fine. But don't tell me it's going to meet the expectations of the current FS audience. Tell me the truth. It's a great flight simulator for the jump-in-and-fly crowd. If you want the full experience of navigation, avionics, and the wealth of immersion provided by the current flightim ecosystem via add-ons, Flight is not for you. And don't talk to me about DLC. Hope and Change by another name. There are reasons to promote and even enjoy Flight. But not for any of us who take our simming experience a little more seriously than sight-seeing in a Stearman. Microsoft is absolutely right, this is not a simulator. You guys need to portray this fact for what it is. Instead, you tell me it isn't, at the moment, but might be soon. That's irritating. Tell me what is, everything else is marketing.Every incarnation of flight sim did what its predecessor did and a little more. This is a clean break from the franchise and removes *EVERYTHING* that's important to me as a flight simmer. Now, if they get it together and give me back at least what I had in FS9, then I will gladly stand tall as you throw eggs at me. But you and I both know that's not going to happen.

pmdg_j41_banner.jpg

The future has spoken.

I guess many of us share your frustration. Like you, I would have liked a fully fledged Flight Simulator. (where we could hook up all our add-ons and hardware)But like you, I don’t know, and I doubt many here know the truth. Only MS and MSGS know what they want for their product or what Flight will end up being.So I can only hope, based on what I saw during the last couple months.If, at the end or a reasonable time period Flight does not deliver, I will go back to FSX or whatever other Simulator I want.

Many seem to be missing the point. There's no need at all to "go back to FSX (or FS9)" because......there's nothing making you leave it behind!Flight simulation is not a zero-sum game nor even a binary choice. I freely use FS9, FSX and Flight as my whims dictate. :Peace:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Many seem to be missing the point. There's no need at all to "go back to FSX (or FS9)" because......there's nothing making you leave it behind!Flight simulation is not a zero-sum game nor even a binary choice. I freely use FS9, FSX and Flight as my whims dictate. :Peace:
That is the whole point isn't it? Using one sim does not prohibit use of the others. This does not have to be a monogamous relationship! Big%20Grin.gif

I agree with you Bill, there is no reason why they can’t coexistIn a previous post on this thread I wrote Someone +FSX + Flight = 2 times Happy; I am that one.

I don't understand why people think that if Flight is downloaded onto their HDD, the FSX root folder will suddenly disappear. :Thinking:

So if I like flight and keep buying more dlc as it becomes available all im doing its helping to kill the hobby ? And supporting a little kids idea of a arcade game ????

Image removed as image is no longer available.