Sign in to follow this  
Rush1169

RV-6 Landing Challenge #6 - ILS - Sweetly Intense

I am tempted to try. To be honest, the only thing preventing me from installing the free base product is that I don't want to mess with my system, which is running my NGX in Fsx with all my addons with amazing results. That's why I'm all over this forum and the Flight site trying to find one compelling reason to assume the risk. So far, I'm not persuaded.
You're posting multiple semi-negative comments and you haven't even flown Flight yet??? Download it, put in at least a few hours and then you'll have you're own opinion. If it's negative then what have you lost? Saying that you 'don't want to mess up FSX' when there's zero evidence that this occurs makes no sense.It's a bit like me going over to the ngx forum, making a bunch of posts kind of dissing it, and then saying that i haven't ever actually flown it for some random non-reason. Multiply that by dozens of posters doing the same thing, and the forum signal to noise ratio would suffer. No one would get away with that over there - people who post almost always own the product and have given it plenty of time.I'm all for diversity of comments - negative as well as positive - but I really do think the Flight forums have been, and still are, affected negatively by too many posters with zero or almost zero hours actually flying the product.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Hi Folks

That's why I'm all over this forum and the Flight site trying to find one compelling reason to assume the risk. So far, I'm not persuaded.
L+P -Being persuaded to do so, or otherwise,is solely down to your attitude/perceptions/receptiveness.Groundless or otherwise.As with any windows compliant application,programatically,FSX, or any addons,should not be affected, in any way whatsoeverby you installing Flight, or its DLC.Positive reasons for doing so -Getting back to flying basics.Flight offers a potential training/learning regimen,not present in previous FS versions.VFR free-flight situations can be a hoot !As differentiated from the Activities,for which some aspects, particularly the Challenges, are exceedingly well thought out.i.e. They're an absolute hoot !The AIRCRAFT-TYPE Landing Challengesmight improve your flying abilities.Achieve GOLD on all.No matter how capable we consider ourselves,we all can improve on our current skillset,or learn something, even if tangential.HTHATBPaul

A question for Fr. Bill:Having done all the landing challenges already, I'm trying to perfect my aerobatic skills now

...did you forget the question already? :LMAO:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Fr. Bill: In your attempts to perfect your aerobatic skills, have you had any difficulty spinning the Stearman? I get a steep spiral every time. I know how to put the plane into a spin and how to recover; I've done it many times in a real-world glider. I can get the RV to spin without a problem; airspeed hovers between 80 and 85 knots without increasing beyond that. Using the same technique in the Stearman, however, gets me into a spiral with airspeed shooting up toward 130-140 very quickly. Any suggestions?"Having done all the landing challenges already, I'm trying to perfect my aerobatic skills now."

I would love to hear Larry Adamson's take on the RV-6 as he has a real one!!!
Yes I would too... nothing like the voice of experience... and so much too...Also Larry if you see and don't mind the question... did you build your RV-6?

Fr. Bill: In your attempts to perfect your aerobatic skills, have you had any difficulty spinning the Stearman? I get a steep spiral every time. I know how to put the plane into a spin and how to recover; I've done it many times in a real-world glider. I can get the RV to spin without a problem; airspeed hovers between 80 and 85 knots without increasing beyond that. Using the same technique in the Stearman, however, gets me into a spiral with airspeed shooting up toward 130-140 very quickly. Any suggestions?"Having done all the landing challenges already, I'm trying to perfect my aerobatic skills now."
Try this. Use map to get to a high point. Set the mouse to fly s & l and go get a cup of coffee. When you come back you will be between FL130 and FL150. Take over manually, fly straight ahead while reducing power to zero. Just as it stalls give it full right or left rudder. Count ten tight spins, apply opposite rudder and recover at 2 or 3,000 feet. On recovery, your spin, beomes a spiral, just easy the nose up, add some power and do it again.Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Thanks for the tip, Ray. So far I've not managed a proper spin in the Stearman yet, but I'll keep trying!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Now take a moment and reflect on this. This hairy situation in what people are calling a child's game. (And not a flight Sim at all)This "game" that while progressing through simple steps, may end with possibly millions of people knowing the fear of an ILS landing in inclement weather.This "game" that while allowing you to chase coins through an obstacle coarse, is also at the same time teaching you the subtleties of aircraft maneuvering without you even needing to be consciously aware of that fact.This "game" that is in fact imparting all the basic information necessary to then become curious and move on to more advanced principals.
The landing challenges in the Icon have been teaching me about the back-side of the power curve with a vengance, even though I already knew what it was.
Thanks for the tip, Ray. So far I've not managed a proper spin in the Stearman yet, but I'll keep trying!
I have quite some difficulties getting the Stearman in a spin too, Malia was most disappointed :lol:.Having quite a bit of back pressure on the stick when you stall seems to help. Don't gently ease into a stall from straight and level, but give the stick a good pull.

The trouble with spins on PC aircraft, They almost all recover automatically as soon as you let go of the stick, I think I can count the "real auto-rotaters" on the fingers of one hand. Although when you do get a good one going in the Flight Stearman, it feels so good, you want to take it all the way down ;) Next best was spinning the Mustang down from 38000 feet - I got 30 full spins before I chickened.I am glad we don't feel reall forces in Flight. I remember a flat inverted spin I once suffered in a Slingsby Swallow from 6500. Sycamore leaf, head banged hard against the canopy and all the dirt from the footwell up on the "roof"... That is the last I ever want to do in Flight ;)

Chris Brisland - the repainter known as EagleSkinner is back from the dead. Perhaps. Or maybe not.

System: Intel I9 32 GB RAM, nVidia RTX 3090 graphics 24 GB VRAM, three 32" Samsung monitors, Logitech yoke, pedals, switch panel, multi panel

Yes I would too... nothing like the voice of experience... and so much too...Also Larry if you see and don't mind the question... did you build your RV-6?
At this point, I don't have the Flight RV6. I'm trying out the Baytower RV7 at the moment. I did build my 6A.

I agree. I just completed that challenge and managed to get gold (1459 xp). It was the most intense (and most rewarding) ILS landing I have ever performed in any aircraft in any sim ever. Very easy to get "spatial disorientation" in that one.

Now take a moment and reflect on this. This hairy situation in what people are calling a child's game. (And not a flight Sim at all)This "game" that while progressing through simple steps, may end with possibly millions of people knowing the fear of an ILS landing in inclement weather.This "game" that while allowing you to chase coins through an obstacle coarse, is also at the same time teaching you the subtleties of aircraft maneuvering without you even needing to be consciously aware of that fact.This "game" that is in fact imparting all the basic information necessary to then become curious and move on to more advanced principals.In the ivory towers of "true" Sim puritanism, with the worship of all that is most complicated and obscure, how often is the time and effort spared to do that anymore?Somebody has seen fit to turn back and finally throw down a rope to the forgotten masses, and I am very very happy for that.
I will put it to you that your argument is flawed. Just because you can set conditions in which no RV should ever find itself and then try to get a perfect landing does not make a simulation. It is a challenge, that is all. In fact, I think that getting gold on any of the coin challenges is far harder and requires far more flying skill, but it does not make it a simulation either - at least not to the level that people claim it to be.This "game" has some simulation in it. Clearly, planes are flying, the sun shines, and there is wind. These are all simulations of the real thing. The question is what separates a game from a simulation. Fidelity and flexibility to simulate a wide range of situations.When you can manually set up the airport, visibility and winds, then we can call it a simulator. Until then it is a challenge in a game, no different than having to collect coins or flying through hoops.

does not make a simulation
Sure, you can argue whether or not to call Flight a simulation. Call it a golf game if you want - it doesn't really matter what 'genre' you want to assign to it, many people really like Flight. Personally, I think it is 100x better than FSX on many fronts and many others do to. Many don't like it, but regardless of what the dislikers post, it will not change someone who likes it into someone who doesn't. HiFlyer likes it and no matter what genre you put it in, doesn't change his/her liking it.The point isn't the "realism" of whether an RV6 will be in that situation, it's the fact that that situation was intense, involving, disorienting, challenging, and fun. The same scenerio is FSX is not. For some.Certainly, during the RV6 Landing Challenge #6, the fact that you are limited to Hawaii doesn't matter. The fact that there are no jets doesn't matter. The missing AI, the lack of "real weather", no helicopters, etc - none mattered during the descent and landing. Edited by Rush1169