Sign in to follow this  

Two of the best moments ever in a flight sim

I was so happy when I got my first gold on the landing! Its NOT easy!!!!

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

I got gold on the RV landing mission number 6 after two tries. I am so proud of myself. I never had such intense moments in a flight sim before... And never did I expect that I would love getting 'gold' in a sim... When I first heard of 'levels' and 'XP' and 'missions' I though '?????' but I love it!!! This is a game AND a sim in one and the combination is a lot more fun then I ever expected!

Edited by J van E

Fs passengers was a good example of adding game-type functions to fsx, giving you more feedback and rewards to work for.Flight is similar in some ways. I'd like some more data - landing v/s in feet per second, not just a score - but it's great to get some feedback. Would be cool to get this data in free flight as well.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

As I posted on the Beta forums "Looks great, runs smooth, flies great but too bad its has been handcuffed by limitation of 3PD aircraft & scenery"
I'm not sure I understand your post? If the scenery and aircraft Microsoft has as DLC is any indication of what may be in the future, I don't see any limitations. If these are handcuffs, I'm ready for some more bondage!I LOVE finding a dirt strip in the middle of an Island - it doesn't stick out, just kinda realistically blends with everything else. Reminds me of flying up to my Dad's place (he has a 3000 ft sod strip). Immersion factor is great on Flight in both VFR and IFR.

On the Stearman introduction mission after you pass the cruise liner the instructor tells you to put the plane through it's paces. Sure thing I said and did a full roll. The instructor's reaction: "That was a pretty nice roll". Nice little easter egg I thought.

I think I could empathise and go with the enthusiasm and excitement for GA in Flight, if only we had TrackIR .... Flight is really gorgous, visually, and I also sense the good immersion level, but then I forget and turn my head and realize I can no longer intuitively look down at that gorgous scenery, and the moment is lost.......The Flight guys just have to get this TrackIR support nailed - then I'll be with your guys. :smile: and will buy the expansion / RV stuff...

Edited by Stick

I think I could empathise and go with the enthusiasm and excitement for GA in Flight, if only we had TrackIR .... Flight is really gorgous, visually, and I also sense the good immersion level, but then I forget and turn my head and realize I can no longer intuitively look down at that gorgous scenery, and the moment is lost.......The Flight guys just have to get this TrackIR support nailed - then I'll be with your guys. :smile: and will buy the expansion / RV stuff...
Agreed. Although for me MS Flight is so good and so much fun that I am getting used to NOT looking around...!Here are some tips that helps me survive MS Flight without Track IR :wink: Obviously this doesn't come close to Track IR plpus EZdok but it helps me.1. Use control-E to move forward (which is NOT zoom!). I don't like the default seating at all: way too far back. (BTW control-Q moves you back again.)2. When you use control-E, take a good look at some pointers like the edge of a guage or the windows and remember where you stop moving. I have already found a default setting for my aircraft which I use every single time. The controls are very exact, so it's quite easy to set up the same view every time.3. What also does help is the intelligent mouse zoom: when you want to zoom in on something, POINT at what you want to see closer and then scroll the wheel: you will then zoom in on that spot and the camera will also move sideways or up or down if needed. Er... I think you have to give it a try to know what I mean. :wink: When you zoom back again, you will be able to very easily zoom back to the exact same spot as you set up in tip 1 and 2: just as the control-E setting, the zoom is very precise and not random but easy reproducable.4. Whenever you really need to look around using the right mouse plus drag method, you usually will be able to restore the view with the 'pointers' from step 2. Although sometimes it's easier to hit backspace and use control-E again.Yes, I know, it still sucks compared to Track IR but it MS Flight IS worth the compromise for now... :wink:

Agree with the track ir comment +1000As for the 3rd party dlc - that is what i think i'll miss most in the future. Am very happy with flight for now, but the constant inovation from the 3pd was what kept me interested in fsx for 6 years and counting. Would love to see ms revisit this decision and open up the ecosystem somewhat.

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Agree with the track ir comment +1000As for the 3rd party dlc - that is what i think i'll miss most in the future. Am very happy with flight for now, but the constant inovation from the 3pd was what kept me interested in fsx for 6 years and counting. Would love to see ms revisit this decision and open up the ecosystem somewhat.
3rd party dlc would be fine and all but whatever happens, I really hope it will be dlc that's avalaible through the marketplace, just as MS own dlc. The idea of having to go through all kinds of installation routines, updates, patches with all those various serials, key codes, key files usernames, logins and whatever... I am glad that's a thing of the past with MS Flight. I just LOVE the one shop, one login principle for everything.

I just shake my head in disbelief, Jeroen...Sorry!Rolling%20Eyes.gif

I just shake my head in disbelief, Jeroen...Sorry!Rolling%20Eyes.gif
You don't have to be sorry for your opinion! :wink: But maybe you could say what post exactly you are referring to...?

Guys: You can adjust the Cockpit InitialZoom value on the Cameras.cfg fileBUT FIRST: MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF THE FILEYou can find it here:

%appdata%microsoftflightcamera.cfg (e.g. c:usersUSERNAMEappdataroamingmicrosoftflightcamera.cfg).Note that you can type %appdata% in the Start menu search/run box and then navigate to microsoftflight
Look for this:
[CameraDefinition.002]Title = $CockpitGuid = {XXXXXXXXXX}Description = This is the description of the cockpit view.Origin = Virtual CockpitMomentumEffect = YesSnapPbhAdjust = SwivelSnapPbhReturn = FalsePanPbhAdjust = SwivelPanPbhReturn = FalseTrack = NoneShowAxis = YESAllowZoom = TRUEInitialZoom = 0.6 (AND CHANGE TO 0.8,1.0 or whatever suits you)SmoothZoomTime = 2.0ZoomPanScalar = 1.0ShowWeather = YesXyzAdjust = TRUEShowLensFlare=FALSECategory = CockpitPitchPanRate=30HeadingPanRate=75PanAcceleratorTime=0UseSimVelocity = TRUEHotKeySelect=2ShakeEnabled=1.0OverspeedShakeFrequency=10OverspeedShakeAmplitudeScalar=.18StallShakeAmplitudeScalar=.15xyzrate=0.12MaxZoom=2.0
Hope this helps.RamonHere is another Tip from NBZ:
What other fixes? The one where you would like the default cockpit view looking slightly down, so you can see more of the panel?...which can be done by writingInitialPbh=9.0, 0, 0below the section[CameraDefinition.002]Title = $Cockpitin the Cameras.cfg?(AppDataRoamingMicrosoftFlight)The value 9.0 is how many degrees down you will be looking.
Edited by Kabronicus

Nice find, Ramon, although it won't help me because this is the zoom setting and I don't want to change the default zoom (because it also influenced the view on the outside world) but the default position. Maybe there are some specific plane files to edit for that.

or a moment I was flying towards the sun and I could see scratches and stuff on the window! And the sun wasn't a round light, it was a faded sun!!! And the way the sun shone on the hills in the distance...!!! My goodness... AWESOME!!!
Yep, there are a few really amazing moments in Flight... and yet there is still way too much that needs fixing or even adding. I really think Flight has a place for all of us, BUT it is very much an "Emperor's New Clothes" kind of story. If you look a little closer you will see that the beauty is only skin-deep (yet? still?). There's still a lot of unsatisfactory features - not all switches work, Ps and Ts don't respond accurately as in real world, differential braking is unreal, there's no pause or replay... OK, thes can all be suffixed with the word "YET". For now...I notice no one appears to find the "tiling" of the terrain textures annoying. Or the sharp edged landclass polygons. Or many other scenery distractions. People are indeed seeing the new clothes and not what is beneath... YET ;)My biggest concern is that with a staff of 50 working on Flight in Redmond, we won't see progress as fast as would really be satisfying. One "Wow" moment I had was seeing trees wave in the wind. I see FTX now has trees that loose their leaves as well as sway in the wind.And YET... I had a really gob-smacking WOW moment while beta testing Flight. Sun low behind me, flying low level, collecting leaves in the landing gear (very "One-Eye" of me) and suddenly it dawned on me - I was sweating buckets, I was ducking and jinking on my chair, and I was really beginning to get an adrenaline rush. Why? I realised my plane's shadow was rushing up the trees, hills, cliff faces and hangar walls as I approached them. The fact that my joy-riding passenger was rather unwell didn't matter a jot. The eye-candy rocks! Edited by stormpup

Chris Brisland - the repainter known as EagleSkinner is back from the dead. Perhaps. Or maybe not.

System: Intel I9 32 GB RAM, nVidia RTX 3090 graphics 24 GB VRAM, three 32" Samsung monitors, Logitech yoke, pedals, switch panel, multi panel

Until trackir is supported I have set up my number pad keys to change the view point8- move forward9- move up4- move left5- revert to default6- move right2- move back 3- move downIt's of course not as good as trackir but it's okay for now.

Noah Bryant