Sign in to follow this  

Two of the best moments ever in a flight sim

I was fortunate enough to watch Bob Hoover perform as a kid at El Toro. Something truly magical about his performance and seeing it first hand. Air shows then was all about NOISE and POWER, then you have some guy shut off his engines, and do what can only be called a ballet in the sky, in silence, and still maintain so much energy doing it. Truly magical.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

No not me. I have mayabe 2 minutes of inverted time in MS Flight. That will take a lot of loops and rolls. I'll have to check and see if the RV6 has the inverted time counter installed. Anything will do a barrel roll if executed properly 1 G max throughout. You can hold a glass of water in your hand as you make the roll, well maybe your passenger can hold a glass of water was you execute the roll.Ray
No, i mean the rw one. So it sounds like you didn't get an 'achievement badge' after your first hour shiny side down in the Cessna? Not sure who you need to talk to, but I think it's badge-worthy.Probably better to shoot for that one than the real world ''magnetic" achievement. :)

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

There's a different version of that video on YouTube where Mr Hoover explains that for him the hardest part of that shot was learning how to pour the ice-tea backhanded so he didn't block the view of the camera
Actually, fwiw, he does say that in this video... after the story about the coffee and the generals... about 2:30+
Truly magical.
It was Kevin... it surely was...

Yes, all three checks with a perfect 500 would be near impossible for me. You can goof off a little, but not much. You have to have 1450 of 1500 so that doesn't leave much slack. Sometimes I would have 2 of 3 perfect 500s and near zero on the other. Most of those times it was the vertical speed for me. I can nail the centerline most times but either mess up the horziontal or vertical. Just like my golf. If I driving and putting good then I can't chip that day. If I can chip and drive then I can't putt. Just hard to get it all together at the same time. But, I am certainly enjoying my efforts.Ray
Ray, I love you signature! Very cool.

I just got the One Hour Inverted Flight Achievement just before lunch. Man, you need a pressure suit to keep the blood from running out your eyeballs. The little RV6 stood up well, though. I;m working on repaints for Flight now.I need a Navy version.Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

I just got the One Hour Inverted Flight Achievement just before lunch. Man, you need a pressure suit to keep the blood from running out your eyeballs. The little RV6 stood up well, though. I;m working on repaints for Flight now.I need a Navy version.Ray
My goodness...! :hi:Luckly I don't really care about achievements otherwise this game would start to frustrate me...! It's fine with me if I accidently accomplish an achievement but if I would focus on that, I would want to get them all, which in most games I know is impossible or takes way too much time... Anyway, this is one achievement I won't be completing accidently, that's for sure... :wink:

I was fortunate enough to watch Bob Hoover perform as a kid at El Toro. Something truly magical about his performance and seeing it first hand. Air shows then was all about NOISE and POWER, then you have some guy shut off his engines, and do what can only be called a ballet in the sky, in silence, and still maintain so much energy doing it. Truly magical.
Yep, I saw that routine at Oshkosk '96. Once he shut down both engines you could hear the Aero Commander creaking and groaning under the loads, and the air rushing over the fuselage, and the whistling noises made as the control surfaces moved. Just awesome.As for my one-hour-inverted, I'm up to 3.5 minutes so far; but then I'm being hard-core and doing it in the Icon! :Big Grin: Gravity-fed carburettor FTW!

I always think, the few times I have actually had the chance to see a real air show, that i should enjoy it while I can.With the way we seem to be coddled now with nothing even remotely unsafe allowed, I sometimes wonder when airshows will be pronounced "too dangerous" and afterward slowly fade into history.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Got my first Gold Landing tonight. I took a bunch of tries. Felt like my first solo in a single seater.
Gratz

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Hey kama2004,Have you figured out how to move the eyepoint back in the default cockpit view [Camera.cfg, under CameraDefinition.002]What I would like to do is be able to increase the default cockpit zoom (as close to 1.0 as possible), and move the eyepoint back enough to still see most of the instruments.
No I havent. I just programmed the move forward and backward on two buttons and added the repeat 32 command to them.

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

No I havent. I just programmed the move forward and backward on two buttons and added the repeat 32 command to them.
Thanks, that's exactly what I am doing.I was hoping that there was a way to set the default cockpit view's eyepoint back a bit in the standard.xml file.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE