Sign in to follow this  
Cub1

True Virtual Cockpit Perspective Tweak.

Hi folks,As others have mentioned here the default views were too zoomed out for me also, so i changed them:Go to C:/Users/yourname/Appdata/Roaming/Microsoft/Flight/Cameras.cfg( you may need to show hidden folders in folder options ) and browse down to Initial Zoom in Virtual Cockpit section[CameraDefinition.002]Title = $CockpitGuid = {C95EAB58-9E4A-4E2A-A34C-D8D9D948F078}Description = This is the description of the cockpit view.Origin = Virtual CockpitInitialPbh=8.0, 0, 0MomentumEffect = YesSnapPbhAdjust = SwivelSnapPbhReturn = FalsePanPbhAdjust = SwivelPanPbhReturn = FalseTrack = NoneShowAxis = YESAllowZoom = TRUEInitialZoom = 1.0 ...................................... change this from 0.6 to 1.0 as I have done.SmoothZoomTime = 2.0ZoomPanScalar = 1.0ShowWeather = YesThis will give a truer perspective while in the Virtual Cockpit and will be saved for all planes.Someone on this forum posted a slight look down view which you can see i have implemented above -with the line " InitialPbh=8.0, 0, 0 " which gives you an eight degree look down to show slightly more of the panel. Change numbers to suit.Hope this helps, get tweaking !Cub 1.

Thanks Cub1, that is exactly what I have been looking for. By doing so, I also noticed this:[CameraDefinition.011]Title = AI PlanesGuid = {75A8357E-AB58-4294-9416-90C73FAFDD90}Description = This is the description of the AI aircraft view.which is [CameraDefinition.010] in FSX.

Changing the initial zoom also changes the zoom on the outside world, which creates an entirely different experience. I love the default view on the world (perfect zoom, wide view, great speed sensation), but I don't like the position in the aircraft, which is way too far back. You can change the latter with control-E (forward) and control-Q (backward), which is better then changing the overall zoom imho. I wish I could change THAT setting for every aircraft.

The default 0.6 zoom is for me like looking through the bottom of a beer glass. Using 1.0 gives no zoom at all and has the benefit of giving the illusion of moving your seat forward.I guess its all a matter of personal preference.One thing I wish you could do is to have a permanant mouse look without having to hold down the right mouse button. I tried to map it to a button using a repeated key press but with no luck.Cheers all,Cub.

This is a really good tip!Having the default zoom at 1.0 and having a yoke button assigned to cockpit view, and anotherto reset eyepoint make it a lot easier to snap back to the panel after exploring various other views!Thanks!!

Bert

Good idea, Bert. I seem to have two rocker controls on my CH Yoke that're currently unassigned...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

The default 0.6 zoom is for me like looking through the bottom of a beer glass. Using 1.0 gives no zoom at all and has the benefit of giving the illusion of moving your seat forward.I guess its all a matter of personal preference.One thing I wish you could do is to have a permanant mouse look without having to hold down the right mouse button. I tried to map it to a button using a repeated key press but with no luck.Cheers all,Cub.
This is easily done using GlovePie (www.glovepie.org). Just create a simple script where you put
Mouse.RightButton = True

and run it while running Microsoft Flight. You could also map it to "not" a button, e.g.

Mouse.RightButton = not key.Backspace

or any other key. This turns mouselook off while holding down the key.I use this to tie it in with TrackIR, so that mouselook is affected by trackIR whenever I am not pressing a certain button on my joystick. I have tied another button to "backspace" to reset the view.

Edited by kolaf

Frank Olaf Sem-Jacobsen

Thanks Cub1. I hate the fisheye view so I made the changes in the cfg file. Good work!Kind regards,

Yes, all good tweaks. On my surround 3 screen system, I had to push the zoom to 1.8 to reduce the side screen eyefish effect, then move the eyepoint aft. This changed the experience totally from the day 1....

Pierre

P3D when its freezing in Quebec....well, that's most of the time...
C-GDXL based at CYQB for real flying when its warming up...

Yes, all good tweaks. On my surround 3 screen system, I had to push the zoom to 1.8 to reduce the side screen eyefish effect, then move the eyepoint aft. This changed the experience totally from the day 1....
I have a DTH2GO... I'll have to try that. Just so I understand lama2004, you went from 0.6 to 1.8 and then you move the eyepoint aft.. with the "Control- Q" keys? Is that correct.EDIT:WOW, what a difference... no more fish eye!!! Thanks Lama2004... you da man!I find GA flying in "any" simulator to be much more realistic with a surround setup in the VC. Landing, taxiing, and takeoffs are SO much easier... when you have an extended perf! Edited by Murray_CHYZ

Okay, while we're here, something else I have fiddled with - the Dynamic Head Movement settings.To me they were just a little mild, so I muliplied all the settings in DynamicHeadMovement section of the Flight.cfg by 1.5 to get the following:[DynamicHeadMovement]Enabled=1.000000LonAccelOnHeadLon=-0.011250LonAccelOnHeadPitch=-0.001500LonAccelOnHeadAlt=0.022500RollAccelOnHeadLat=0.015000YawAccelOnHeadLat=0.453000RollAccelOnHeadRoll=0.150000MaxHeadAngle=4.500000MaxHeadOffset=0.262500HeadMoveTimeConstant=0.450000Not too strong, but just a little more real ?Still testing but it works - now try that approach in high winds and a thunderstorm !Kolaf: I had forgotten about GlovePie, as I have used it before, I will try it with your tips - Thanks Edit: Can't get it to work. Mind you if it did we would still have to somehow " Hide " the cursor while its in freelook mode.Cub.

Edited by Cub1

I use this to tie it in with TrackIR, so that mouselook is affected by trackIR whenever I am not pressing a certain button on my joystick. I have tied another button to "backspace" to reset the view.
Would you consider writing up a brief tutorial on this and placing it in the new "Tutorial" section here? It should be filed in the "Microsoft's Flight Game" category, Early Tutorials...http://forum.avsim.net/tutorials/category/28-early-tutorials/I'm sure it would be truly appreciated by everyone who owns TrackIR......I know I sure would!

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks for the tip, Cub1. I really hated that fisheye look, also. Do you have any idea how to make the Backspace key maintain that zoom level? When I tap it, I have fisheye again.Best regards,Tom Murphy

Guest bstolle

Well, I wouldn't call this 'true' perspective tweak as this is really only a matter of preference.I always have the view zoomed out as much as possible when flying VFR (in FLIGHT and FSX) because from RW experience I know that the peripheral vision is extremely important during visual maneuvering.Also the sense of speed is more realistic at a wider angle which is e.g. especially noticable approaching the runway on short final.Can't imagine doing a 3 point landing in the Stearman with 1.0 zoom. That would be pure guessing instead of seeing in the final stages.....

Edited by bstolle

I´m sure I´m bashing in an already open door, but I thought I´d remind you that you don´t need to press any keyboard keys to move the eyepoint. Simply press and hold your mouse scrollwheel and drag the view as you like, makes it very easy to look over the engine in taildraggers.I´ve no clue how this maps for those that don´t have a clickable scroll wheel though. Backspace reverts to the default eyepoint.

/Tord Hoppe, Sweden