Sign in to follow this  
jackcnd

Boosting Flight Framerate ...

I'm running a GTX280 and a older QX9650 Core 2 Quad at 4GHz.Flight on 1920x1080 High setting with Sharpness bumped to maximum.Checked the framerate with Fraps and noticed over Honolulu it could be better.Here's a couple screen shots over the area, one at 18fps the other at 11fps.Just wondering what framerates others are getting in Honolulu area, how best to boost it ?Flight11fps.jpgFlight18fps.jpg

Edited by jackcnd

Well since you are running at 4ghz, even though it is an older processor, I would think you would benefit greatly from a better video card, like the 570 or 580, or even a GTX 460... Flight is not quite as dependant on cpu as FSX, and makes much better use of the GPU.I have not measured framerates yet, but am geting very good performance with all my graphics set to the highest levels, very smooth and no stuttering as of yet.

If anyone gets a chance, try downloading Fraps and checking the framerate over Honolulu.Be interesting to hear how newer setups are performing with Flight on High / Max Sharpness.Just might be time to get a 570 :)

Edited by jackcnd

All graphics settings as high as they go1920x1080 fullscreenAMD 6990 running in Crossfire overclocked at 920/1375I7 2600k @ 4.2GHZ8GB Mushkin DDR3 running at 1600MHZ8a33a084.jpgcb73f6dc.jpg

Edited by styckx

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I agree, a better GPU would help. Think GTX 560 ti or 570.... Make sure your PSU is up to the task of course.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

All graphics settings as high as they go1920x1080 fullscreenAMD 6990 running in Crossfire overclocked at 920/1375I7 2600k @ 4.2GHZ8GB Munchkin DDR3 running at 1600MHZ
Something must be wrong...you should be murdering the graphics! I don't imagine you should be dropping much below 50-60 FPS

Nah.. Seems about right.. Boths GPUs are maxing out at around 50% each. Which is basically 99% GPU usage on a single GPU if I wasn't in Crossfire (and when I disable Crossfire that's exactly what my GPU load is in this area).It's the sharpness, which I assume is controlling the AAIn the CFG file I have this.

AntialiasingQuality=16
I'm assuming that's 16x Antialiasing, also assuming it's Multisampling. Even on high end cards like mine 16X MSAA is asking a lot especially considering the complexity of Honolulu. Edited by styckx

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Could someone please send me their fraps settings,to make this work?I have th unregistered version.Thanks

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

AMD 1055T X6AMD 69501920x1200Everything maxed but Scenery Detail is Med, water Med.50FPS over down town.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

I have a quadcore 2, ATI 5770, 4GB RAM. I have everything HIGH settings except Shadows and weather set at med. Screen res is at 1920x1080Getting 30-35 over towns and 40-50 anywhere else.Check out, you are not forcing AA, AF or morphological filtering, in the Catalyst control center.

I think the #1 thing you can do to get better FPS is to lower your resolution. 1280x720 should almost double your frame rate, and still look good. Your video card is not very good, so something must give. Water and Scenery Detail are the biggest killers of frame rate also.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

To improve performance, I would suggest to find out if there are not one or two settings that could be reduced by one notch, but still look good enough.In particular, I found the Sharpness setting to perfectly fine for me when set to "high" instead of "maximum". This setting seems to follow the law of diminishing returns strongly, with the highest setting gaining only very little visual improvement at the cost of a lot more computing power required.To get a nice overview of what the individual settings do, please refer to the following excellent thread by J van E:http://forum.avsim.net/topic/364699-graphic-settings-examples/I'm personally running everything on "high", except Scenery Quality which is on "maximum" because of the water.MVGibbage, I would recommend to NOT reduce screen resolution, rather sacrificing a lot other things first, as any resolution other than the monitors hardware res. will result in an interpolated blurry image.(I had Flight running on a GTX275 - okay, I only had 1680*1050, but that idea would not have crossed my mind.)

Thanks for the tips, might just build a new Ivy Bridge system when it ships.nVidia has some new cards due shortly I understand too.I'm surprised the GTX280 does not do better compared to newer cards.With Scenery Quality at Maximum, the main highway in Honolulu becomes grey strip?Tried 1024x768 in windowed mode and performance did increase greatly,but full screen 1080p is too hard to give up, have to play with some of the settings for now.

Edited by jackcnd

Take the scenery density setting down to Medium, that will get you better performance and less "blurries"like your highway example. And scenery quality on High.

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert