Sign in to follow this  

MS Flight vs FSX: it's simple, really

Sorry DX11 was an assumption, surely MS would take advantage of their own API? Oh wait I remember DX10 in FSX...

Guest mna27
Not to offend you - but - from your statement regarding fsx - i believe you do not have a clue what fsx is and do or feel like.
and not to offend you, but you seem like yet another grumpy old man that's doesn't like change.....even if it's for the betterMna27, that is too strong and over the line into personal attack. Please don't go there. - Mod SF

Seeing as many people have had so much trouble with 3rd party addons for FSX, its easy to see why so many like Flight. Flight is a great sim, the aircrafts available to us now are quite basic. Just wait and see until they add more advanced aircraft. I'm thinking we will see something more with the Alaska DLC. If they keep up the level of detail on planes and cockpits we have seen until now, it sure is going to be interesting.

Sorry DX11 was an assumption, surely MS would take advantage of their own API? Oh wait I remember DX10 in FSX...
Flight has to be compatible with WinXP, which is precisely why it is using DX9c exclusively.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

had hoped Flight might be next gen FSX
Now, you put the finger on the potential cause... Hope is what make people happy. When MS did the announcement, hope was more powerful than the real statements made by MS

There were a lot of disappointed folks out there when Flight was released and that disappointment turned into anger. Natural reaction. I think in a very short time that anger will fade and things will get back to normal. I already see a change here with almost all of the posts being positive. I love Flight but I never had FSX so I didn't try to compare the two. I might have felt differently if I had FSX and wanted MS to release a new version.

So... why don't people simply react in the same way when it comes to FSX and MS Flight...?
Simple... . Because we are all different. As many people think Flight is great, others would like to compare it with FSX, and perhaps think FSX is better and offers lot more than Flight does.So, as you said, peace to everyone with what they think.I have to agree with you in something, they are different things. FSX is a sim that brings you a wide sphere of posibilities, Flight is trying to be a game... for now, just trying.

I think it's all about keeping a positive slant on things; after all this is a hobby - it's about enjoying ourselves :smile:FLIGHT doesn't do it for me right now, purely because I want/need two things within my virtual flying; TrackIR support, and the ability to use the toe breaks on my pedals..... So Flight doesn't deliver those yet, but I am excited for the future when they will; as I agree the graphics engine and some other elements look great. No ATC or AI is a problem, and again a factor why I don't load Flight up on my PC right now, but unlike others, I can really foresee the modular approach MS are taking; and I can imagine DLC that will cover ATC, AI, complex aircraft functions, etc ...... of course, it means paying a LOT of money over time to MS, to get those things, but I paid a lot of money (to a lot of different people) to get FSX how I wanted it too..... I'm currently blissfully happy flying in Orbx NZ South Island in some amazing planes in FSX, so I'm happy right now, but the prospect of having the features that I value, alongside FLIGHT's younger abilities, makes the future bright.Now everyone, after three, a big smile from y'all; one.......two......three....... [stretch those facial muscles]....and SMile! :lol:

Guest Antlab

Hi all.Unfortunately I think that the OP wrote something that really, probably oppositely to his intentions, reinforce the position of the FSX lovers disapppointed by several aspects of Flight.Besides flight simulation I also like sim racing. I think to knowing quite well also the history of the sector, and its milestones, as GP2, GPL, GTR, rF and others.The OP cite two typical arcade games, Dirt and F12011, by Codemasters. The problem with FSX and Flight is really different. To be more precise, it would be like if Dave Kaemmer, the genial author of Grand Prix Legends, NR2003 and other great simulation titles, had begun to produce some Dirt or NFS clone. Kaemmer instead in the recent years created with other investors the new racing platform Iracing.Also in that case there have been (and there are still) many discussions, because iRacing use a subscription model, you only "rent" the program instead than buying it. But the question is that iRacing is surely one of the most difficult game/sims. The users of GPL and serious sims can surely argue about the business model, but Kaemmer maintained the "hardcore" level also in the new platform.With FSX and the present Flight (we obviously don't know the future), MS clearly decided to change target. From a quite complete sim (I don't want to repeat, but the usual questions apply, ATC, AI, AP, variety of aircraft and so on) to a more immediate experience, for the moment quite limited regarding complexity.It would be more similar to a passage from GPL to Dirt. Surely refreshing and relaxing for many, but hardly acceptable for others. I don't want to express judgements on the relative positions and logic, but simply trying a more precise comparison with other sectors, as in this case the sim racing.A.

Good point, A. :wink: Obviously every comparison with other game genres you make can backfire on you, hehe... but you've got a valid point.

I think it's really simple.Besides flying on the pc I also race on the pc. One of the racing games I like is Dirt. Love it. Played it a lot. Great fun. Then the same company (!) who created Dirt released F1 2010. For those who don't know it: that's also a game that lets you drive in cars... Nice. However, there are some differences between the games...So what did I do?I went to the Codemasters forum and posted (time after time, in every possible topic) that F1 2011 was crap because it didn't offer me what Dirt offered me. It only had closed tracks. I want open stages!!! It has some 23 other cars on the track. Screw Codemasters! I want to drive on my own! One game lets me setup the car in detail and the other game doesn't. This game sucks!!! I am going back to Dirt!!! FS 2011 is crap!!!Did I do that? Of course not. I enjoyed both: they each offer something different and I appreciate them for what the offer me. If I wouldn't have liked F1, I obviously wouldn't have bothered with FS 2011 at all and I would have kept on playing Dirt.So... why don't people simply react in the same way when it comes to FSX and MS Flight...? MSF Flight is NOT FSX. Nor is it FS11. It's something else.So... stop comparing MS Flight with FSX and use them for what they offer you or don't use them. Simple as that. Peace to everyone in their own little virtual world, whatever that may be. Discussion closed. (Probably not, but well... it doesnt hurt to try... :wink: ).
We went the same route with Silenthunter 3 and 5. Strange that totally different sims goes the same way. It seems like a sign of the times.Do we have more comparisons? Fallout3 vs New Vegas? or OFP vs ARMA ?

Microsoft flight is a more like a racing game and not a flight simulator. Microsoft created both but FSX is a training simulator which are used by aviation trainers to train for flying. On the other hand Microsoft Flight is more like a game. Exactly like some said earlier "its like apples and oranges", i.e. both are fruits of different nature, likewise FSX and Flight are connected with flying but meant for two different reasons.

I thought gaming was supposed to be fun. I thought training was supposed to be fun. What's the difference?

Microsoft flight is a more like a racing game and not a flight simulator. Microsoft created both but FSX is a training simulator which are used by aviation trainers to train for flying. On the other hand Microsoft Flight is more like a game. Exactly like some said earlier "its like apples and oranges", i.e. both are fruits of different nature, likewise FSX and Flight are connected with flying but meant for two different reasons.

Gee ..do you think MS might get angry now that people are beginning to port over planes from their "simulator" to their "game". :lol:

They wouldn't want the two to mingle together now would they...even though they were both sold under Microsoft Games.