Sign in to follow this  
jwk737

Viewing instruments on remote computer

I don't get it ...again.....I have 3 monitors set up with TH2GO and I run a laptop for the approach plates via the internet/router.I also have a 4th monitor hook up to the lap top for charts.Can I use that monitor for the this program? How would I go about hooking that up.

One question,Do the windows on the FSX machine have to be visible? The reason I'm asking is that I only want to see the outside view on that monitor and the instruments on the other computer.Thanks

I don't get it ...again.....I have 3 monitors set up with TH2GO and I run a laptop for the approach plates via the internet/router.I also have a 4th monitor hook up to the lap top for charts.Can I use that monitor for the this program? How would I go about hooking that up.
Yes you can, see https://docs.google....mMjg1ZjA1NTlkOQ for a brief intro. Please also note the remarks below.I intend to write a decent manual when all functionality is included, that should be a couple of days from now.
One question,Do the windows on the FSX machine have to be visible? The reason I'm asking is that I only want to see the outside view on that monitor and the instruments on the other computer.Thanks
Yes, FSX Spy "records" the window content and "broadcasts" to remote computers. If the window is overlapped by other windows or partly outside the destop, that part will not be renderer or refreshed.Here is a picture from the opencockpits (http://www.opencockpits.com) legacy pmdg 737NG driver manual where the whole idea originated. FSX Spy is the same, it just adds some functionality.Hth Johan

Hi All,Version 0.3 is now ready for download on https://sites.google...37/home/fsx-spySome of the above mentioned items have been dealt with. The once that didn't yet: - autostartup at login time: put it in the AllPrograms/Startup folder for now - multiple viewer persistency for multiple channels: start more than one instance and do it by hand :)The once that did:- server - multiple cutout channels from the same window - improved empty windows filter - live channel grid update - added remove channel button - default selection is now client area of window, reset selects all - adjustable fps is back- viewer - added disconnect - lock aspect ratio option - bug fix, hide frames at startupHave fun!Johan

JohanThis is really good stuff.I have tested with 4 copies of the same window, with 4 different cuts, broadcasting it to laptop and it works great. I cant notice any fps drop at all when using same window many times to cut from, but my fps is up in the sky anyway in window mode. This is a brilliant tool. I love it.A couple things I notice. On my fsx computer, I use a tripplehead2go, and 3 monitors. So the window I see in FSXspy is very small. So it is hard to cut exactly what I want. maybe it is possible to make a simple zoom and pan function for easier to aim at the cutzone?I also discovered, that if I changed the fps on SPYserver, then I had to disconnect, and reconnect on clients for updating the fps shown there.Not a big issue.Below two screenshots from FSX, and laptop. FSX had approx 90 fps when screenshot taken,Laptop:FSXspy1Kopier.jpgFSX:FSXspy12Kopier.jpgThank you so much for your efforts in making this tool. im%20Not%20Worthy.gifIvar Hestnes

Also a couple more ideas for functionality on the clients...If someone wants to use a HUD, the image must be "reversed" for it to be displayed correct.Maybe functionality for rotating clientwindow 90 degrees, + vertically, and horisontally mirroring of image on selected client.Ivar Hestnes

JohanThis is really good stuff.I have tested with 4 copies of the same window, with 4 different cuts, broadcasting it to laptop and it works great. I cant notice any fps drop at all when using same window many times to cut from, but my fps is up in the sky anyway in window mode. This is a brilliant tool. I love it.A couple things I notice. On my fsx computer, I use a tripplehead2go, and 3 monitors. So the window I see in FSXspy is very small. So it is hard to cut exactly what I want. maybe it is possible to make a simple zoom and pan function for easier to aim at the cutzone?I also discovered, that if I changed the fps on SPYserver, then I had to disconnect, and reconnect on clients for updating the fps shown there.Not a big issue.Below two screenshots from FSX, and laptop. FSX had approx 90 fps when screenshot taken,Laptop:FSXspy1Kopier.jpgFSX:FSXspy12Kopier.jpgThank you so much for your efforts in making this tool. im%20Not%20Worthy.gifIvar Hestnes
I'm confused by the fact that the windows should be visible. So where do you have the actual outside view? Your not flying with all that stuff in front of you, are you? Bert Van Bulck

I'm confused by the fact that the windows should be visible. So where do you have the actual outside view? Your not flying with all that stuff in front of you, are you? Bert Van Bulck
My plan is to use the FSX computer as a server computer, so it will not show anything useful at all. The visuals will most likely be on another computer via Wideview. Then another computer or two, for displaying the instruments from the server computer.Got a bluescreen now after a while... with 8 images cut from one "base image". And then all the clients froze, and would not shut down for a while. Is there a datalogger or another place I can get details from to help you Johan?

After flying around now with a finally complete dcu, I noticed a couple of practical anomalies as well :). Mainly that if the server and client lost contact between each other or when the window is recreated (e.g. after a plane reload, flight load or whatever) you have to restart them both. I'll fix that in the next version along with some things mentioned above and other.

Gr,

Johan

... The visuals will most likely be on another computer via Wideview. ...

Do you (or anyone else) have experience with WideVieW and the NGX, does it look natural? I have a 3x1 eyefinity setup right now, but I miss the 3d-surround view feeling. The demo installs but I don't get menus etc, but that's for another forum.

thanks,

Johan

Not tried the NGX on wideview yet. That is some time into the future yet. But I am running another sim on wideview, and that works pretty well.

The one thing I am worried about with the NGX via wideview, is if the landing lights will work. I believe I have read it somewhere here, that NGX landing lights does not work same way as traditional addon lights.

I am getting the following error:

The server rejected the client credentials.

This error can be cleared by establishing an SMB connection to a share on the server, however after doing so I get the following error when attempting to connect:

the communication object system.servicemodel.channels.servicechannel, cannot be used for communication because it is in the faulted state.

I have Windows 7 x64 on both machines in use, both very recent installs, no antivirus, firewall disabled, static IP on server, both machines on same subnet, physical network and switch. I can ping the server.

The server and client executables are set to always run as administrator and UAC is off. I can telnet to port 8328 from the client to the server too...

I can run the viewer on the 'server' and it picks up the displays fine.

Any thoughts?

I am getting the following error:

The server rejected the client credentials.

This error can be cleared by establishing an SMB connection to a share on the server, however after doing so I get the following error when attempting to connect:

the communication object system.servicemodel.channels.servicechannel, cannot be used for communication because it is in the faulted state.

I have Windows 7 x64 on both machines in use, both very recent installs, no antivirus, firewall disabled, static IP on server, both machines on same subnet, physical network and switch. I can ping the server.

The server and client executables are set to always run as administrator and UAC is off. I can telnet to port 8328 from the client to the server too...

I can run the viewer on the 'server' and it picks up the displays fine.

Any thoughts?

Good grief where did my manners go?!

Any thoughts, please :)

And I also meant to add myself to the list of very grateful users... thanks for saving me from building my home ****pit with proj magenta, ifly and other expensive alternatives!

Update: running the client on the 'server' computer works fine... Running the server on the 'client' computer and reconfiguring to connect to localhost produces same error...

Update - FIXED!

I needed to provide credentials to connect to a share on the server computer before the viewer would connect. However because I authenticated to "\\computername\share" but set FSX Spy Viewer to connect to the IP address, it didn't work. I then tried connecting to "\\192.168.xxx.xxx\share", reopened FSXSpy Viewer and connected by IP and it worked!

I thought rather than removing all the crud above that it might be worth leaving if it's of use to anyone else troubleshooting :)