Sign in to follow this  
jwk737

Viewing instruments on remote computer

Hi All,I made a small program for my hw dcu to capture the (undocked) dcu panel and stream it to an old laptop that has a tv out. It worked out pretty ok and can be used for other instruments too, so I thought it might be usefull for other people as well.On the screenshot there is the config for what and how fast to stream, you can find more screen shots in my google docs.screenshots.rtf:https://docs.google....4OFZObjRkMUp2QQFSX Spy.zip:https://docs.google....UaGhnbElTRzZyUQIf there are any comments, please feel free; this is only version 0.1 :)Johan Knol

Does this only work in windowed mode?

So this is like "MaxiVista" where it goes through your home network? Or different somehow?

Does this only work in windowed mode?
Yes, it has to be a real "window", so a panel needs to be undocked and thus fs must be running in windowed mode.
So this is like "MaxiVista" where it goes through your home network? Or different somehow?
No, it is not a virtual monitor with all the hassle to get that configured in an already overcrowded sim machine. It is more like a live screenrecorder and a remote viewer app running on the 2nd computer. I already have 3 monitors in Eyefinity and 2 monitors for my instruments. Adding yet an other monitor for my DCU just was too much. So, it replicates a (part of a) window on a remote (or the local) computer.Johan Knol

JohanThat is absolutely brilliant. I have been thinking about this idea for a very long time, but do not have programming skills.Unfortunately no possibility for testing your software yet, but really looking fwd to it.My idea from before was to use one computer for running the NGX with all the displays on one computer, and then a second computer via wideview for the visuals. But of course, when I am going to use 1 screen per DU, + 2x CDU, 2 clocks, a ISIS and a HUD on one computer... I might get into fps troubles, even with every slider set on low... This will really solve this possible problem.Thanks for sharing!!!im%20Not%20Worthy.gif Ivar Hestnes

Very nice.However, since the window needs to be undocked and visible, there is no gain in FPS if I'm correct?Best Regards,Bert Van Bulck

I am very interested in this project, because it would allow me to buy another PC at a moderate price. Now; when I want to upgrade, because I use 6 monitors, I always need an expensive motherboard, 3 graphic cards etc,..Best Regards and keep it up!Bert Van Bulck

Looks nice.Hey Johan, can you share with me how can I put my instruments in a second monitor? I can't figure it out myself. You can pm to me if you wish. Thank you.

I9-13900K | ASUS ROG Strix Z790-E Gaming LGA 1700 | MSI Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 24GB | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE LCD Liquid Cooler | CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 64GB (2X36) 5200MHx DDR5 | Thermaltake GF3 1650W 80+ Gold PSU | Samsung QN90C Neo QLED TV 50”

Looks nice.Hey Johan, can you share with me how can I put my instruments in a second monitor? I can't figure it out myself. You can pm to me if you wish. Thank you.
On the fsx machine you start the "FSX Spy - Server", select a window in the left pane and check the Transmit button.On the 2nd machine (or the same fsx machine if you like) change the localhost in the url into the name of your fsx machine, e.g: "net.tcp://fsxmachine:8328/FsxSpy" and click the connect button.That's all really.
What do you mean by I want multi-channel?Bert Van Bulck
Right now it is only possible to "broadcast" 1 window, e.g. the dcu, but I also need a lower eicas so I am working on a kind of channel list.There is progress with the advanced selection tool and persistency so there probably will be an update in the next couple of days.Johan Knol

On the fsx machine you start the "FSX Spy - Server", select a window in the left pane and check the Transmit button.On the 2nd machine (or the same fsx machine if you like) change the localhost in the url into the name of your fsx machine, e.g: "net.tcp://fsxmachine:8328/FsxSpy" and click the connect button.That's all really.Right now it is only possible to "broadcast" 1 window, e.g. the dcu, but I also need a lower eicas so I am working on a kind of channel list.There is progress with the advanced selection tool and persistency so there probably will be an update in the next couple of days.Johan Knol
Ah! I need at least 3 channels for my current config and last night I was dreaming about expanding, so make it 6 please :)Bert Van Bulck

Hi All,It took a little bit longer but here is version 0.2:- improved selection tool, you can now draw, resize and move the selection- improved zoom- multi channels, so muliple remote instruments, no real limits here although your framerate will prove otherwise :)- persistency, both on the server and the viewer. So once you figured your channels and layout, the next start will restart the channels and restore the layout- a real installer now, so there should be no more issues with dependencies.Below is a screenshot of both the server and a viewer in action, you can download the installer here:https://docs.google....tS0hsMWp2WUc5UQHave fun,Regards,Johan Knol

Johan,Quite simply, this is genius. Thank you very much. Now that I have my copy, you really should be charging for this. I have paid a lot more for a lot less. I'm going through the house now, gathering up all my old monitors. Thanks again.

Dennis Trawick

Screen Shot Forum Rules

AVSIMSignature_zpsed110b13.jpg