Sign in to follow this  
trevorbee

Hate the Icon

Sorry, but i just don't like it.It is not a real airplane. It reminds me of a 'dodgem' car as compared to a real car.Purely an emotional response and devoid of any logic but there you have it.

Love it for what it is:Light Sport AircraftAmphibiousModernIt`s not old school design like any other aircraft, therefore i like it most.I think most people do the mistake comparing it with a standard GA plane, it`s not that kind. Compare it with other new LSA.

Well, I can't say I hate it, like I hate other things, but it does remind me of riding in front of a lawn mower. At least it's amphibious, but it confuses me, I keep landing in the water with my gear down! Not its fault..I have one prevailing thought when in it- 'DEATHTRAP'

It is not a real airplane
Wow - Trevor - is this really you? Using "hate" in your forum topic? Saying that a heavier than air fixed wing pusher propelled aviating device "is not a real airplane"? Where did the Trevor I know go?Just having a little fun - but this really is unlike you to be so negative about something...

It`s not old school design like any other aircraft, therefore i like it most.
Sure, it is not old school design and that is why I do not like it. It is like architecture. Old school was beautiful . Modern designs are practical and ugly.. It is like paintings. Old school was inspiring and thought provoking. Modern is clever and flashy.I guess I am old fashioned and this is just my opinion. But I do like airplanes that look and feel like airplanes. Old school is beautiful.

Wow - Trevor - is this really you? Using "hate" in your forum topic?
Hiya Mike, how you doing?I know I am going out on a limb here but sombody needed to say it. If I knew how to delete the Icon I would - but I don't. Having a breeze with the Van's RV-6A though. Yes, Flight is good.

Give me a seabee anyday. The Icon design is pretty modern and sleek, it'll be as classic as a '93 Hyundai.

It is at least a more promising light sport aircraft than the skycrasher, I mean ground catcher, I mean skycatcher...Cessna made a huge mistake putting the Continental O-200D in that thing!

it does remind me of riding in front of a lawn mower.
Like it.
I keep landing in the water with my gear down! Not its fault..
Been there. Done that.

My kids love it...

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I actually like the Icon . . . it is not my favorite flight aircraft, but it is unique, and variety is one of the things I like most about flightsims. I do feel like I'm flying the batplane, but that is not necessarily a bad thing, :)It is actually a pretty cool concept: a small personal aircraft, with folding wings, that you can park in your garage, and trailer to a nearby lake or airstrip.It also has another unique design . . . Spin Resistance. The cuffs on the leading edge of the wings help to make the Icon resistant to spins. According to a Feb 16, 2012 Wired article, when the Icon goes into production later this year, it "will become the first production aircraft to comply completely with FAA spin resistance standards."

I love the Icon, fly it most of the time. Too bad they didn't include the flaps.
Icon didn't decide to add flaps to the production Icon A5 until mid February, which didn't exactly give the Flight Team time to add them.Note that the Icon in the photo's in the above Wired article does not have flaps.

~ Arwen ~

Home Airfield: KHIE

Hiya Mike, how you doing?I know I am going out on a limb here but sombody needed to say it. If I knew how to delete the Icon I would - but I don't. Having a breeze with the Van's RV-6A though. Yes, Flight is good.
Hiya Trevor! I enjoy the Icon for what it is - but as someone else said, a Seabee would be incredible! The Icon is a good aircraft for low and slow, hi vis, land anywhere type of flying. My "aircraft of choice" is the Stearman - talk about a flying work of art! Sound, looks, charisma - love it!

It uses the principle of aerodynamic lift to achieve controlled flight via a fixed wing, therefore it's a real airplane.