Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

Joshua Howard Interview with AVSIM

A very professionel interview!:)We still have FSX hahaI must say that I understand his point about building smaller area at the time, but better!But I hope that when the day comes, when areas start bumping into one another, they will be able to connect.Maybe in there new programming, that option is already lost...?

Tom, Good interview- I give it a 9+ on a scale of 1-10, it had a great beat and you can dance to it.

Guest Antlab
Good point! I don't remember which of the elder sims it was but I seem to recall at least two of them had standard and deluxe issues in the past.
Yes, for example FSX at start was presented in two versions, Standard and Deluxe. But the differences for a normal user were not huge: some more aircraft, airports, detailed cities and other details. With Flight is very different, they should add a lot of things for reaching the content of the previous sim line. I sincerely don't think this is in present MS plans, as the interview confirms.A.

Thank you and congratulations for direct, pertinent questions (just right on target)However IMO the answers are often evasive, they give me the feel that Mr.Howard does not know where he goes relative to Flight futur and he is waiting to see what the masses want (may be....we'll see...).I highly doubt that these same masses want a Katana or NGX or or one of those wonderful addons made for Flight Simulator.It reinforces my idea, business is business ! I have absolutely no problem with that when business is done by "small" Companies/Teams/Editors who think in first : quality, expert work, craftsmanship.About the TrackIR question, hope it's not but I just see a polite way of saying no... All this IMO of course.Regards,Richard Portier

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

In aviation, *nothing* is more important than weather.
Really? Funny that I've always thought keeping the engine running was a bit more important... :shok: How silly of me... :acute:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Tom, I will echo many sentiments already expressed here.That was an excellent interview with many very important questions asked in a very professional manner.I remaind hopeful about Flight and it's future - I certainly do not want it to fail, as I am worried then the whole MSFS might fail and come to an end. No one has a crystal ball though. JH seems to think they have a fair graps on things here in the beginning, and a solid foundation and ecosystem they can use to learn from and plan for the future around. Makes some sense to me.Thank you for asking point blank about Track IR - that one thing is very essential for me, and would vastly increase my enjoyment of the sim. And I am hopeful by his response, that they are taking a very hard look at getting that added at some point. Gives me hope at least, and it at least acknowleges they are paying attention to the feedback we customers are giving.Again excellent interview, and thank you.

Flight has many of the graphics goodies we have been pining for in FSX. But what it doesn't have is many of the features we've come to expect and enjoy in FSX. All the framerate gobbling features that distinguish a sim from a game have been left out. Microsoft has made no attempt to build on all the man years of development that has gone into FSX. And that's a real shame, because it may be years before we see anything better than FSX.Cheers,Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

Really? Funny that I've always thought keeping the engine running was a bit more important... :shok:
I am with you .. however, I have always thought landing the plane was most important. :Just Kidding:

I am with you .. however, I have always thought landing the plane was most important. :Just Kidding:
Well, that too of course. Walking away from any landing though is undoubtedly the most important factor... :Peace:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Really? Funny that I've always thought keeping the engine running was a bit more important... :shok:How silly of me... :acute:
You will never even start the engine if there is a tornado over the airport. And a quick qusestion, when did you install an engine in your glider? BTW I expect a silly answer. hahaI remain correct from my original post -- *nothing* in aviation is more important than weather.

Guest firehawk44

Good interview Tom. Still disappointed with the MS Flight concept. Best regards,Jim

Great interview. Thanks Tom, and thx to JH!!!Just as I said - FLIGHT will most certainly turn into the best GA flightsimulation game Ever!I couldn't care less about airliners not being included - I'll wait for PSX - but I will not by cockpitless aircraft for sure....I also agree with a limited coverage vs whole World.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

The weather decides if you will land safely or at all - so again nothing is more important than weather.

Good interview Tom, you asked the right questions, and although I wish the answers were more direct and forthcoming I guess reading in between the lines we get something of a feel for the Flight roadmap...

TA: There are a number of things that have been suggested for “fixes” or additions. One of the more visible (no pun intended) has been that of compatibility with Track IR. Is that on your schedule to add? For those who seem to be suffering from withdrawal without it, when do think it will be done, if indeed you are going to address this?JH: As I mentioned before, TrackIR is one of the requests we are getting from simmers. In an effort to balance our investments, we are considering how we can accommodate this request along with all of the other ways we want to grow the experience. I can say that we understand that the experience of Flight with TrackIR would be very cool, even for the non-pilot, and even if the total number of TrackIR users is pretty low. I expect we will have more to say about this in the future, but today I can’t commit to anything specific.
That sounds promising, but it still leaves us without a direct answer... I'm not sure how they can measure the number of TrackIR users unless they are checking to see how many of us have the TIR software running when Flight starts, but based on the amount of complaining and even wishing for it from Flight supporters on the flightsim forums I frequent I'd guess it is not "pretty low" among the user base, this for me personally will be one of the things that determines if I keep enjoying Flight long term or buy more DLC or give it up.Hopefully support is coming and he just doesn't want to commit to avoid people switching into the "is it done yet? is it done yet?" mode if he confirmed it.

--John near KPAE