Sign in to follow this  

MS pulling an Orbx now...?

Hm, I see I could have gotten my addons cheaper if I had waited a little and bought it on Steam... Feels like MS is doing an Orbx, if you know what I mean. Not too pleased about it.

I'd have saved $5 (as I have no interest in any plane without a cockpit, so I'm not factoring that one in).

I'm OK with spending $5 not to have to wait a month for the rest of the islands, the RV-6 and the Maule.

I’ll stick to GFWL Marketplace, the last thing I need is another internet enabled app lurking in my system.

(I Have a Steam account at home so my kids can play games on their PC)

I was reading out...but sorry for my ignorance but can you elaborate on the topic?

Thanks

Well, gotta say it is somewhat "unfair" if i can put it like that.

I am a Steam user for many years now and they do provide some great deals quite frequently but usually it takes much longer than one month after game's release. This can lead me to question Mr. Howard's statement about selling much more than they have expected since it doesn't make too much sense. Another thing coming to mind is that talks between Valve and Microsoft took little longer than planned or there were some other reasons for not offering Flight over Steam from the beginning. Whatever the case, i also do not mind that much the price difference and just like RoboRay, i too do not have any interest in exterior model aircraft at all so it doesn't bother me that much all together.

But it does feel kind of cheap of Microsoft to do this.

Cheers

Sales and bundle discounts happen all the time all over the place on all kinds of different products. Of course I don't get excited to see something cheaper than what I paid, but that's just the way it is. . .nothing exclusive or special about Flight products. . .

Hm, I see I could have gotten my addons cheaper if I had waited a little and bought it on Steam... Feels like MS is doing an Orbx, if you know what I mean. Not too pleased about it.

Whats wrong with orbx putting on a sale? That's how sales work duh!!! sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

I understand your frustration, but we may not want to begin comparing companies on the forum as it may be considered by some as slanderous depending on the context of your comparision. You left it pretty vague so I'm not sure what you mean, nor do I want to assume, what you meant by MS pulling an ORBX.

I've found that with anything related to computers or technology you can pretty much expect the purchase prices to drop starting soon after the product is released, and that applies especially to non-sim "games" which often drop in price or go on sale within a week or two of release.

I think this Flight situation is not so unusual for a "game" (which Flight wants to be considered) since it has been out for a month and the price is just now lower.

My personal approach to buying any new computer, game or technology product and avoid regrets is to ask myself if the product is worth it to me at the current price or not, if so I buy it and don't worry about later price drops, if not I wait for the price to drop or a sale.

The Orbx situation was a bit different IMHO because they highlighted the pre-order discount to their loyal customers which was not as low as the soon to appear sale, and even one of the pre-order products (PAKT) was released in a not final state.

--John near KPAE

Posted by Garsands on the beta forum today !

" As I like stats here are a few ones

Microsoft Flight: Hawaiian Starter Bundle at the moment is the 13th top selling game on steam.

The 42 top played steam game at this point in time with 1,439 players playing it right now, this has been going up & up each hour, this is just the ones playing it using steam.

Not bad as it's not been on steam with 24 hours yet.

With 4,246,247 steam users online "

Fred.

Well imho that can only mean good things for this flight sim/game.

Hopefully that will help secure future development going forward and maybe we will all see more of what we want to see in it.

Microsoft Flight: Hawaiian Starter Bundle at the moment is the 13th top selling game on steam.

The 42 top played steam game at this point in time with 1,439 players playing it right now, this has been going up & up each hour, this is just the ones playing it using steam.

Not bad as it's not been on steam with 24 hours yet.

With 4,246,247 steam users online "

Fred.

But different thing is how many of those players will actually continue using Flight and buying addons for it in months to come.

I agree with Don. It can only mean good things for Flight's future.

Should MS find it lucrative as they probably planned it to be, they will invest more and more and that means us, simmers, have plenty of things to look forward to.

Cheers

But different thing is how many of those players will actually continue using Flight for weeks to come.

I bet nobody knows. Not you, not me, not even the guys who won the lottery.

Now; I wish many more users, as that would mean more future for the Microsoft Flight product and its DLC.

A win-win for MS and for US.

I’ll stick to GFWL Marketplace, the last thing I need is another internet enabled app lurking in my system.

(I Have a Steam account at home so my kids can play games on their PC)

I also like Flight because it has everyting in one place. I don't feel like installing Steam at all, really... But I do wonder how long it takes for Alaska to become cheaper after its release. Of course the price difference isn't huge considering I am not interested in that fighter plane...

I understand your frustration, but we may not want to begin comparing companies on the forum as it may be considered by some as slanderous depending on the context of your comparision. You left it pretty vague so I'm not sure what you mean, nor do I want to assume, what you meant by MS pulling an ORBX.

Hm, I regret already calling it 'pulling an Orbx'. It was my first reaction after reading about it. It reminded me of what Orbx did last year with their sale after releasing stuff for a full price just before that. 'Pulling an Orbx' immediately came to mind. I guess I should have used other words for it...