Sign in to follow this  
BR4593

5 bucks for redownload?

I want to redownload my purchased NGX base pack. Why should I pay 5 more bucks for download after I paid 70 $ for this product?

Because you purchased it and should have made a copy for future use. They should reserve bandwith for you because you didn't make a copy? If you buy something at a store can you go back to the store and get another for free if you lose it?

Richie Walsh

Because you purchased it and should have made a copy for future use. They should reserve bandwith for you because you didn't make a copy? If you buy something at a store can you go back to the store and get another for free if you lose it?

You're right, bandwidth isn't free...but you can't compare a physical product with a digital one in terms of replacing it. Not even the same thing.

Personally I think $5 just to redownload something that isn't even 1GB is more money then I would pay, but I don't need to since I backed up my download file as soon as I bought it.

The consumer has to take some responsibility too.

^^^^^^This^^^^^^

Richie Walsh

+1

I kept every one of my original files from purchase.

I had a hard-drive crash here recently and had to re-install everything from scratch.

After getting FSX back up to speed, I installed PMDG from the original files I SAVED....and guess what? Code was expired so I had to pay the 5 bucks to get a new one.

Now how did I not have consumer responsibility??

Clay

There are a number of FS software distributors offering this re-download service for free including keeping your registration keys ad eternam to help their clients, it is neither out of place nor unreasonable to suggest to PMDG to consider offering such a service. Decision is obviously theirs but suggestions are ours...

I want to redownload my purchased NGX base pack. Why should I pay 5 more bucks for download after I paid 70 $ for this product?

It would be easy to burn files onto a re-writable CD as backup, therefore making the re-download service unnecessary.

PMDG is still thinking of an online shop like a digital version of a "post office" by charging for traffic / transportation costs you might as well go all the way and start selling "virtual stamps" in various sizes accounting for weight. A small update would cost say $1.25? That would be the logical next move, wouldn't it?...

I think it's safe to assume that internet traffic isn't the huge cost it used to be, that's certainly the case for end users these days. If that's not the case for companies, then why have so many other software companies stopped charging for downloads? As Jean-Claude pointed out, a lot of other software companies have come around.

BTW I'm a real backup geek and do a (almost) monthly triple backup where I mirror my internal drive wth two external USB drives, one for my cupboard and the other for my parents' safe across town. I still think the download charge is a bit antiquated and don't like the thought of having bought a license for a lot of money and the company requires more money for something that most competitors seem to be glad to help with for free. I'd love PMDG to be more "certainly sir, it's the least we can do since you supported us by buying a license" and less "haha joke's on you buddy".

.and guess what? Code was expired so I had to pay the 5 bucks to get a new one.

Clay

Codes don't expire. If your activation did not work, all you had to do was send a support ticket, you just wasted 5 bucks.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I kept every one of my original files from purchase.

I had a hard-drive crash here recently and had to re-install everything from scratch.

After getting FSX back up to speed, I installed PMDG from the original files I SAVED....and guess what? Code was expired so I had to pay the 5 bucks to get a new one.

Clay

A responsible person would make back ups of the HDD,

I paid the $5 though because I had no idea where my base package download went. ooops. Hypocracy much? I am not complaining though ^ :P

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

Bandwith does cost something. Based on the download URL's PMDG uses AWS S3 for hosting. You can take a look at the rates here: http://aws.amazon.com/s3/pricing/ However, even at maximum cost of $0.120/GB the cost for them is about $.08 per download of the main installer (unless the file size has increased since SP1). It's not $5 but that will give you as many downloads as you like.

Bandwith does cost something. Based on the download URL's PMDG uses AWS S3 for hosting. You can take a look at the rates here: http://aws.amazon.com/s3/pricing/ However, even at maximum cost of $0.120/GB the cost for them is about $.08 per download of the main installer (unless the file size has increased since SP1). It's not $5 but that will give you as many downloads as you like.

Yes but someone at PMDG has to manually activate your extended download too, also, if you think about how much you got for what you paid, dont you think we should think of this more as an extra thankyou cost for everything they do for us?

Fact is I welcome the ability to do that, and I will gladly pay for it, and have done, more than once. In fact I did so the other week in order to redownload the J41 and the NGX for a total of ten bucks, and I've done that a couple of times before that as well, once on the FS9 747 and once on something else.

On all occasions it was because I'd had a double hard disk crash, so lost two back ups, which is unlucky, but not impossible as I know to my dissatisfaction. The alternative is one I also had to put up with last week as well, for example, upon enquiring to Dauntless Software in order to re-download Simplates, I got the answer which basically amounted to 'tough ****' That's their choice of course and I can understand it, since it is their bandwidth and they do make that clear, but my choice is to not buy from them again, as opposed to PMDG, whom I will happily buy from, since they offer that extra safety net, and I'm willing to pay for the privelege. I'd have been willing to pay for it with Dauntless too if they'd offered the option.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Yes but someone at PMDG has to manually activate your extended download too, also, if you think about how much you got for what you paid, dont you think we should think of this more as an extra thankyou cost for everything they do for us?

PMDG does a great job. The NGX is the number one product in the flight simulation categoryת But I paid 70$ for them and I am expecting to be able to redownload my product for free.