Sign in to follow this  
FIVE-BY-FIVE

I put in fs9 last night after many years

It's called "fs9CPU_ALL_CPUs_".

Link please? I google it and it seems there are many malware sites.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

I find this thread fascinating. With the hardware listed in my sig, my fps bounces around wildly between 55.5 & 63.5 (there are occasional spikes to triple digits, but only for a brief moment), yet the OP says they are getting 70-100fps (I even read a 200fps in one of her posts) on near identical hardware? I don't have any Vsync enabled that I'm aware of, so what am I missing?

I run FS9.1, GE pro, UT, REX, and FS Genesis 19m mesh in full screen mode. I mainly fly Carenado GA aircraft.

------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a i7-975 cpu and a nVidia GTX285. I get a constant 60 FPS (which I have locked at that figure) with FS9. What I have found to also be a major factor, is exactly what nVidia (if you have an nVidia card...) driver suite you are using. With using and trying (always curious....) so many over the last three years, and right up to the latest,...the most stable for FPS and the BEST and most clear rendering of them all (for my system spec's) is: Geforce 270.61 WHQL.

This set gives constant and near 30 FPS (locked down) when using it with FSX (see reason for mention of FSX later within post) set at full open graphics. To give you a reference, I tried the latest suite for my card, and after applying a clean install, I got almost a 40 percent reduction in constant FPS out of FSX. The reason that I mention FSX in this FS9 thread, is that it is a very CPU-intensive application even for my box, and your FPS fluctuation is displaying that. So the bottom line here....don't just think that with FS9 or FSX....it is only the CPU and how many cores, whatever....it is also the software that is driving the GPU...that will show up in the final FPS count in simulator play.

Try out the 270.61's if you have a nVidia 285 (or anything months within when that card was released) and you will be surprised at the maximum performance your GPU will garner. I am running the card with the latest nVidia Inspector, but to be honest, the 270.61's gave the best performance for max, stable FPS, and how crisp and clear the terrain rendering was no matter what LOD you set, it was the best that that LOD could produce.

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I'm running an ATi card. What you say does make sense though, I wonder if the OP could share what Catalyst Control Center Version they are using since they seem to be using an AMD card as well (granted the OP has a 6870 running at probably a 900MHz clock, where as mine is a 6950 at 840Mhz, could that really be the difference?). I still can't help but think I've got something set somewhere that is holding it back. This was my very first build so that wouldn't suprise me at all. Don't get me wrong, my system is super clean and runs great, but I'd really like to lock my frames at 60 to match the refesh rate of my monitor and don't understand why I can't with my hardware. However with my FPS fluxuating below 58 occasionally that doesn't appear to be the case.

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately I'm running an ATi card. What you say does make sense though, I wonder if the OP could share what Catalyst Control Center Version they are using since they seem to be using an AMD card as well (granted the OP has a 6870 running at probably a 900MHz clock, where as mine is a 6950 at 840Mhz, could that really be the difference?). I still can't help but think I've got something set somewhere that is holding it back. This was my very first build so that wouldn't suprise me at all. Don't get me wrong, my system is super clean and runs great, but I'd really like to lock my frames at 60 to match the refesh rate of my monitor and don't understand why I can't with my hardware. However with my FPS fluxuating below 58 occasionally that doesn't appear to be the case.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I would think that there would be no hardware rated reason that you could not set FS9 at 60 FPS and forget it. I do...and only under very intense multi-layer cloud rendering or refresh, will I see perhaps a fast 'blink' drop down to 40 FPS..and then right back up to a stable 60. I love FS9 for that steady 60 with Heavy Iron simulation. You just can't beat it! A busy full-featured cockpit, and a fast final with A.I. at your '6'........you want smoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooothness for sure.

Who cares if you get 1000 fps or 5 fps as longs as its smooth and its not a slide show is what counts, your not flying the fps around for some people seem to be

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Ok, I found it. It is called "fs_affinity_v2.zip" on flightsim.com

here is a link:

http://flightsim.com....php?fid=142339

Hi All,

Decided to try the affinity program on my core 2 duo.

Ran my default flight EGPF to EGGD with Level-D 767,UK2000 scenery,all settings maxed and 8xSQ.Plus Radar Contact

Observations were; Frames stayed constant at 30 Locked. (normally dips into low to mid twenties when on ground or close to airport)

Sim seemed noticably smoother and more enjoyable.

Finally a check of task manager showed both cores sharing the load equally,Something I have never seen before.

As most will see as a simmer of over 9 years, and an almost dailly reader I make few posts.However I think in this instance this program requires further investigation.

Also as someone who has used FSX for several years,I can honestly say that my last test flight was my most enjoyable flight ever.

Garry Leeds UK.

Who cares if you get 1000 fps or 5 fps as longs as its smooth and its not a slide show is what counts, your not flying the fps around for some people seem to be

You are absolutely right of course, and I do enjoy smooth flight locked at 35fps. However, if I have a machine capable of running my refresh rate and it isn’t I’m intrigued to find out why (I'm not complaining, just curious). As I said it is my first build and I’m learning constantly. On a side note, others will disagree but I feel I can tell a difference between 35fps and 60….

i'm using the 12.2 drivers and haven't touched any settings and i'm not overclocking. The new 12.3 drivers had issues with some games and sims so i went back to the older drivers.

You are absolutely right of course, and I do enjoy smooth flight locked at 35fps. However, if I have a machine capable of running my refresh rate and it isn’t I’m intrigued to find out why (I'm not complaining, just curious). As I said it is my first build and I’m learning constantly. On a side note, others will disagree but I feel I can tell a difference between 35fps and 60….

Once I ran constantly at 60FPS to match my refresh rate all the time I could see the difference between 60 and 52 FPS... It is actually really obvious... Only 60FPS on my 60hz monitor will result in PERFECTLY smooth no stutters no microstutters looks like you are watching a movie performance... As soon as I fall below 60FPS I know it, 50 FPS is noticeable, 40 FPS is very noticeable, 30 FPS is still smooth with microstutters but nowhere near 60 and anything under 30 is unacceptable.

Certain things really highlight it as well such as panning the VC, watching AI, moving instruments, passing clouds... I will know if I am below 60FPS in a heartbeat in any of those situations. I know the naysayers will say otherwise but I know what my eyes see and I would also question how many of those naysayers have actually run at 60FPS consistently for a few weeks and then gone back to 50 40 or 30 to see the difference...

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Once I ran constantly at 60FPS to match my refresh rate all the time I could see the difference between 60 and 52 FPS... It is actually really obvious... Only 60FPS on my 60hz monitor will result in PERFECTLY smooth no stutters no microstutters looks like you are watching a movie performance... As soon as I fall below 60FPS I know it, 50 FPS is noticeable, 40 FPS is very noticeable, 30 FPS is still smooth with microstutters but nowhere near 60 and anything under 30 is unacceptable.

Certain things really highlight it as well such as panning the VC, watching AI, moving instruments, passing clouds... I will know if I am below 60FPS in a heartbeat in any of those situations. I know the naysayers will say otherwise but I know what my eyes see and I would also question how many of those naysayers have actually run at 60FPS consistently for a few weeks and then gone back to 50 40 or 30 to see the difference...

very true, i can also tell the difference when my fps change in fsx but in fs9 with my PC, it's so smooth. Like you said: "it's like watching a movie" NO STUTTERS. I'm flying fs9 more now than fsx. I have XPLANE 10 arriving soon, the demo gave me some good smooth fps with most settings maxed out.

Hi.

Paul, Phlux, you're both absolutely correct. It's perfectly possible to see the difference between 50 FPS and 60 FPS, or 50 Hz and 60 Hz: just reset your monitor refresh rate to 50 Hz and see how long the headache takes to develop!

There's a long term argument concerning this in almost every hardware forum around the internet.

Regarding the simulator's FPS, the brain apparently 'sees' sequential images as smooth motion above about 25 Hz but the eye / optic nerve do a sort of switching off whenever your eye moves.

This supposedly is to stop the brain from being confused by all the swirly images when you turn to look at your prey or predator. That means anything that strobes can be seen to strobe if you move your eyes when it's in your field of vision. Next time you're behind a car with LED tail lights at night jerk your eyes around a little and notice how the lights flicker. Don't do it if you are behind the wheel obviously, just as a passenger!

Back to simming, the strobing effect of the monitor when your eyes move is overlaid on the supposedly smooth animation and causes the image to jerk in the same way that the monitor strobes. A small ameliorating effect can be derived from making the FPS a clean fraction of the monitor's refresh rate so that frame change and strobe always coincide. Similarly, having an 'bad' fraction can make the appearance worse.

I just wish my PC was capable of 72 FPS to go with my monitor's 72 Hz. (they're set to 36 FPS and 72 Hz).

Kind regards,

D

i'm using the 12.2 drivers and haven't touched any settings and i'm not overclocking. The new 12.3 drivers had issues with some games and sims so i went back to the older drivers.

Thanks for the info. I'm running 12.3, since FS9 is the only game/sim I run I haven't noticed any issues with it.

Paul, I actually thought about you when I was typing that.. after seeing you mention it in several other threads I decided to try it and I realized you were right on.

Hi.

Paul, Phlux, you're both absolutely correct. It's perfectly possible to see the difference between 50 FPS and 60 FPS, or 50 Hz and 60 Hz: just reset your monitor refresh rate to 50 Hz and see how long the headache takes to develop!

There's a long term argument concerning this in almost every hardware forum around the internet.

Regarding the simulator's FPS, the brain apparently 'sees' sequential images as smooth motion above about 25 Hz but the eye / optic nerve do a sort of switching off whenever your eye moves.

This supposedly is to stop the brain from being confused by all the swirly images when you turn to look at your prey or predator. That means anything that strobes can be seen to strobe if you move your eyes when it's in your field of vision. Next time you're behind a car with LED tail lights at night jerk your eyes around a little and notice how the lights flicker. Don't do it if you are behind the wheel obviously, just as a passenger!

Back to simming, the strobing effect of the monitor when your eyes move is overlaid on the supposedly smooth animation and causes the image to jerk in the same way that the monitor strobes. A small ameliorating effect can be derived from making the FPS a clean fraction of the monitor's refresh rate so that frame change and strobe always coincide. Similarly, having an 'bad' fraction can make the appearance worse.

Interesting stuff Dave, thank you for sharing that and confirming what we've experienced.

Still the question remains...why am I not seeing the 70-100fps (so I can indeed lock it at 60) that the OP is seeing? Particularly considering the fact that I'm running with a mild OC and they are not. Could it be that I still have hyperthreading turned on? I also don't have any whacky processes running in the background either. I'm just grasping at straws, but I would really like to get to the bottom of this because it has bugged me since I first built my rig. Keep in mind I'm just talking about a fair weather baseline, not the big graduated cloud layers in which ATi cards notoriously struggle (I've accepted that fact).

Thanks again for all of your responses.

I totally agree as well. I usually dip for cloud regen's but keep to 60.