Sign in to follow this  
A380

The aerocache phenomenon

For those that don't know me, I'm one of those that thought I could see Flight as a potential FS next and was/is very happy with the new format and performance.

I'm also one of those that doesn't care much for the gamy side of it and therefore don't use it as such and thought that the majority of us were like minded but there seems to be a lot of excitement about these aerocache things lately and I really am left wondering whether I'm on my own or whether I'm missing something.

So what am I missing?

Aerocaches are quite fun/educational to complete, can be done several ways;

I prefer to do some web research and at least read a bit about them, then I position my plane in a close by airport and take off to hunt it.

You get to see some good looking scenery on the way to it, and the place is usually interesting in one form or another; it might be in a difficult position, a ravine, a cliff's edge or in an interesting remote place.

You can set your weather and change time to make a better flight experience. (Although some aerocaches, at least during the beta seemed to be only available during daytime)

Have not been to Hawaii yet, But if I go, im sure I will remember some of those places. A future déjà-vu so to speak.

Most aerocaches are simply landmarks. Those are educational as well as giving you a goal... If you can't decide where to fly and don't want to do a job, pick an aerocache and try to find it.

You are likely to see something you've flown right by before without even noticing.

To add to the excellent replies, an Aerocache is a Point of Interest for those who like to see the sights, view the region, and learn about it. As Ramón points out, you gain a lot by reading up on the landmark, looking at maps and aerial images first. Although there is no obligation to do so, and you can just do the Hunt with no research if you want.

You can leave the Aerocache sensor on to help you find it, or you can turn it off and really enjoy the Hunt aspect.

Best regards.

Luis

I actually enjoy doing the more difficult ones with no hints... just home in as best I can with the meter, then set up and execute a search grid until I finally find it...

Simple things amuse simple minds, I guess... ; )

As I often thought that I saw all of Hawaii when flying around and doing jobs I'm always surprised, when aeorocache leads me to some beautiful, unknown region.

On a similar note, has anyone else had "Aerocache of the Day is not available" for the last few days?

Yes, but it was fixed for me today.

Mike

It's just something to do. The first ones were educational and I learnt a few things about Hawaii. Recently they've gotten a little more mundane but I still try to do them each day. If I feel confident of their location I'll fly a scenic flight mission and detour to collect them. If searching is required I set off on my own in free flight, using the 'cold & dark save' file (cheers Jeroen).

There have been two or three where we've been given coordinates or VOR radials, wish there was more of those. Although for 'Water water everywhere' I calculated a flight plan using Google Earth and have made at least three sorties, without any luck. Even tried a couple of search patterns when I got there, still nothing :huh:

Yes, but it was fixed for me today.

Mike

Did you have to do anything to fix it or did it just fix itself?

There have been two or three where we've been given coordinates or VOR radials, wish there was more of those. Although for 'Water water everywhere' I calculated a flight plan using Google Earth and have made at least three sorties, without any luck. Even tried a couple of search patterns when I got there, still nothing

Tune into 115.7 and fly the 157 radial to about 70 DME. At 2000' you should pick up the marker...

Gareth Howell

Cheshire (UK)

Tune into 115.7 and fly the 157 radial to about 70 DME. At 2000' you should pick up the marker...

Thanks Gareth, a group of us set out and found it tonight - 157 is correct, I was using Google Earth's course which did not account for magnetic variation :blush:

On a similar note, has anyone else had "Aerocache of the Day is not available" for the last few days?

I think it's related to the two aerocaches per day, when the first expires the second is not ready so in between you see that message for an hour or so.

I think it's related to the two aerocaches per day, when the first expires the second is not ready so in between you see that message for an hour or so.

Adding to Voics answer. Hook also found out that issue during the beta. The workaround seems to be "Restart Flight". It works for me.

Hi Folks

fsxkitty -

Currently 2 aerocaches are available per day, (AM & PM).

If you collect the AM aerocache

and then leave FLIGHT running

till the PM changeover time,

then you will receive the "Aerocache of the Day is not available" message.

Shut down & restart FLIGHT,

and it'll detect the PM aerocache.

EDIT -

Ramon posted while I was composing, yet again. :smile:

HTH

ATB

Paul

This topic made me decide to go for the aerocaches I didn't find by accident yet and I have to say I had a fun time finding them all. I did cheat terribly though. First of all I copied all search terms to Google maps and secondly I managed to grab the hard to reach aerocaches by clever use of the M key... There was for instance an aerocache beside a wall: when I saw it, I was flying straight towards the wall. I simply flew on and when the screen turned yellow and my plane was about 2 feet of the wall, I pressed M and repositioned myself elsewhere on the map. Mission accomplished LOL. I did the same with those hard to reach waterfall-caches. :wink:

However, since I got all the caches that come with the game (apart from Curvature and that glider thing, which both can't be done with the planes that have a VC afaik), I do think I will now frequently try those aerocaches of the day, but then as you should, so no use of Google maps and M-tricks, but simply fly around and enjoy the scenery until you find it. This does give some purpose to flying around. Pity you need the HUD for it though. (I know it can be done without the hud but I want this game to be fun... :wink: )