Sign in to follow this  
Simcees

Are you still hopeful?

Am i hopeful? Of course i am hopeful! And here's why:

Just like every other company in the world, Microsoft is trying to earn money. Also, MS is a smart company. They are fully aware of the fact that a casual gamer will buy a cockpitless bird or two, than quit playing Flight for few weeks or months and then check in again to see what's new. Now, there is a chance that a certain percentage of casual gamers will eventually become simmers in near future but they will not rely on that possibility alone. They will then release products that simmers require (be it by 3PD or by MS itself) since they are well aware that us, simmers, present the constant income for their company. They know that we were paying big bucks in the past to get the most out of our simulators and they are eager to get that money. It is just that those cockpitless birds have already been made prior to Flight's release but even if they weren't , they took a little time to develop and they know they must not fail with their first "serious" DLC such as Alaska. They do not want to release something that is below the standard 3PD have set so they are taking their time and planning the future of Flight.

Another reason is found in hangar; on the bottom right, there is a filter of aircraft displayed. Select the drop down menu and see for yourself. All those categories will eventually be there, we just have to wait.

And last but not least, awards and achievements are more than enough proof that we will get bigger and faster planes in future. As well as larger areas to fly around :)

Cheers

Select the drop down menu and see for yourself. All those categories will eventually be there, we just have to wait.

Actually it only lists categories in which there are planes available. All the airplanes in Flight so far fits in one or more categories so there is no "empty category".

Actually it only lists categories in which there are planes available. All the airplanes in Flight far fits in one or more categories so there is no "empty category".

Darn it! Didn't bother to examine that more thoroughly :D Thanks for that explanation.

However, everything else i wrote still remains ;)

Cheers

Well at least like you've said, there are achievements and awards that provide hints as to what kind of planes to expect in the future. I seriously doubt you can carry a large number of passengers in cockpitless warbirds and keep them happy. :Just Kidding:

Well at least like you've said, there are achievements and awards that provide hints as to what kind of planes to expect in the future. I seriously doubt you can carry a large number of passengers in cockpitless warbirds and keep them happy. :Just Kidding:

lol you said it, brother :) fully agree and hope that we are right about those hints.

P.S. Warbirds belong in a museum :)

Cheers

I'm enjoying flight thoroughly for what it is. I see this first incarnation of Flight as the framework from what the rest of it will be built on. Its only been two months, and as others have mentioned the current DLC has been in the pipeline since before Flight was released. Give the devs a chance to see how the current batch of DLC is going, and for them to see the feedback regarding the lack of VC. Flight is an entirely new product, not as evolved as FSX, FS9, FS8 etc... Its going to take some time for it to mature, after all I'm pretty sure they didn't put all the work of adding nav aids, and very well modeled instruments for only a few planes, the deluxe planes will come, along with new areas and activities. Until then, I can be patient, there is a lot more to life than sitting on the MS Flight home page pressing refresh waiting for new content.

That's exactly what I feel/think! Also, maybe because I haven't that much time to play FLIGHT, I never felt bored at it - today I flew my first Mission!!! Yes, only today!!! And, if you go through my poor record - search for "jcommFLIGHT" you'll see the very few chances I have to start it and really enjoy.

I concentrate primarilly on FM, systems if included. Of course I never flew any of the included aircraft (well, I did get my hands on an RV9, and from what I recall, it's close enough to the RV6 in FLIGHT) but there are basic things that an airplane physics model must have in order for me not to simply put it asside.

Putting aircraft models asside, like I did with many in previous versions of MSFS and other simulators is something that didn't yet happen with FLIGHT, and I have it all, up to their latest p-40.

The one I like the less is the p-51.

I'm enjoying flight thoroughly for what it is. I see this first incarnation of Flight as the framework from what the rest of it will be built on. Its only been two months, and as others have mentioned the current DLC has been in the pipeline since before Flight was released. Give the devs a chance to see how the current batch of DLC is going, and for them to see the feedback regarding the lack of VC. Flight is an entirely new product, not as evolved as FSX, FS9, FS8 etc... Its going to take some time for it to mature, after all I'm pretty sure they didn't put all the work of adding nav aids, and very well modeled instruments for only a few planes, the deluxe planes will come, along with new areas and activities. Until then, I can be patient, there is a lot more to life than sitting on the MS Flight home page pressing refresh waiting for new content.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

The downward spiral of flight simulation's relative popularity is something I've watched and lamented for a long time. I walked away from simming years ago myself, though I love aviation and have spent 25 years involved in it in one fashion or another.

The market-base must grow significantly if a true revival of flight simulation is to occur. Think about what a flight sim could be like with the kind of budget a AAA game receives. Now, I'm not saying that's going to happen, but increasing the customer base will only lead to higher budgets on future projects, even if they aren't so focused on the gaming aspects of flying.

Like it or not... I believe that Josh Howard is the project manager that flight simulation needs, but not the one that it wants right now. So, we'll flame him, because he can take it. He's not a hero, he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a Dark Knight.

Like it or not... I believe that Josh Howard is the project manager that flight simulation needs, but not the one that it wants right now

well said Robo! Although I think "it" (in my opinion) represents those who expected FS11. I never made the jump to FSX...that's about the time that I stopped flight simming because my computer couldn't keep up. I still go to FS9 to attempt to control helicopters, but Flight is filling my computerized aviation needs at the moment.

the Dark Knight reference is the main reason I quoted you - fantastic!

Heh, I got to "the project manager that flight simulation needs, but not the one that it wants" and the rest just kind of popped out. Just%20Kidding.gif

But it kind of fits. I vote for politicians that will do things I feel we need, even if it's going to cost me in taxes. I support other leaders or groups that do things harmful to me in the short-term if I see a greater benefit down the road. That's how I view Flight.

The complexity of flight sims has been steadily growing for decades, dragging the learning curve with it. A lot of us have grown along with those increases in complexity, and appreciate the high-fidelity experience it offers. Meanwhile, novices who are interested in flight simulation have been effectively shut out. Yes, there are tutorials and other ways to learn what is needed, but be realistic... those look like work, require effort, and are often lacking in critical ways. A novice interested in simulated flying wants to actually fly, not go to school. If they enjoy the experience, they will then become interested in learning what they need for more advanced flying. We are actually seeing some of that now, in questions here and on the Steam forum. But if their introduction to flight simulation is met with too much complexity, they will not enjoy the experience and move on to something different.

You cannot increase your user-base with ever-increasing complexity. The members of your user-base who grow with you will keep up, some will fall behind, and those who start later will never even have a chance to catch up. That is what Flight offers... a new on-ramp to the super-highway of flight simulation.

Well said, RR - that is exactly how I see Flight as well. A new beginning in many ways...

The start of a journey that will NOT be defined in the first few weeks or months, but will reveal itself slowly as the combined forces of market economics and data on the way people actually use the game (not what the say) are analysed...

Flight might become good good flying game for new people to join, but I can't see it ever developing to anything that could actually simulate realistic operations of aircraft anything more complex than a Cessna. I hope that Flight will stay as a game with not much learning curve, and then someone else offering FSX kind of simulation experience where people can jump after first getting familiar with basic methods of flying in Flight... Maybe that could bring people with even less patience to FS. Myself I had patience get over learning curve of FSX just by doing manual flying around until I could handle it.

In my opinion, the "make it simple" argument as the main purpose for the existence of Flight is ludicrous. Flight simulators as we knew them are computer programs only, and as such the simplicity of a "Flight" could have been built right into an FS11 as an menu option choice. Ditto that for gameplay.

Flight is about taking an open architecture program and turning it into a closed architecture program, for the purpose of closed-door profit. That is what the movement to the "cloud", dedicated game boxes, and "freemium" offerings by virtually all the big software developers is all about. Even Adobe is headed that way. That being said, there is no guarantee that this is not just another passing fad. Personally, I think it is..... except for certain cell phone, game box, and tablet applications.

The reality is, Flight is "dumbed down" and "content limited" by about 95 percent, and now we will be asked to pay for every increment to get back to where an FSX, with third-party payware add-ons, was/is !

Bob - Las Cruces, NM

Hello Bill

A different opinion, Profanity laced or not, is not necessarily a torrent of hate.

Hate is far too strong a word to use when talking about a computer game.

...<snipped for brevity>...

I cannot help it, and I doubt the nice bottle of red wine I have just enjoyed is helping

The post in question took place in the MSGS Beta forum, and was directed at fellow human beings, not the "computer game." It was nothing less than an ad hominem attack on specific individuals.

I'm delighted to learn that you recognize that affect of wine. Pliny the Elder's pithy quip In Vino Veritas is an insidious lie... :LMAO:

Now, with respect to the actual thread's question: Yes, I remain hopeful. After all, Flight can only get better over time... :Peace:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator