Sign in to follow this  
evro

still unsure as to what prepar3d is?

I've read the website, and a forum or two in which i thought i'd be informed of a few things, but have yet to really see why prepar3d is significant. Why should i buy it? i know there are some aesthetic improvements, but what other benefits does it have to offer? Improved physics? if so, how much better are they? i'm struggling to justify paying a $50 subscription fee for something that just makes the textures a little bit better. Thanks for any help!

-Evan

Prepar3D is the commercial version of MS ESP. it shares the code with FSX. What Lockheed Martin has done is clean the code, kill some bugs (creating new ones at the same time) and enhance it for use in commerical simulation cabins.

Many features are under the hood:

1. Cleaner graphics

2. Better multithreading, which in this case it means that you can set up several machines to run the same simulation with each machine handling just one part of the graphics.

3. Enhanced simconnect. This also includes the ability to use an external physics engine if the internal one does not suit your needs.

4. Something they call bathymetry, which is the ability to navigate under the sea surface and see the sea floor. This is usually disabled if you are not going to use submarines since your fps will take a huge hit.

LM intention is to convert Prepar3D into the core of every simulator: air, land sea and undersea vehicles.

Aah. That makes sense. It seems as though most of what LM has done is just clean house a little bit, and broaden FSX to accommodate land and sea vehicles which is definitely cool. So other than being able to use different physics engines, are there no other parts of Prepar3d that have the purpose of enhancing the overall realism of the sim? are there any other physics engines out there that are usable, or better than current FSX?

clean the code

Honestly, LM has done little to the base code. It is very apparent when opening the main P3D folder just to simply find the same exact files repacked to be considered a new simulator.

If there are, they are not commercially available. There is a downloadable example for an external physics engine. LM has recognized that they won't be able to accomodate all types of vehicles within the framework of P3D so they have decided to allow other people to create an engine that better suits their needs.

They are currently working on ver 2.0 which will make use of DirectX 11. Of course, it probably won't be available until next year.

Honestly, LM has done little to the base code. It is very apparent when opening the main P3D folder just to simply find the same exact files repacked to be considered a new simulator.

As I said, it is in the code. That usually does not involve how files are distributed/used. They have squashed some bugs and because it is the nature of the beast, created new ones. The most important difference between P3D and FSX is that P3D is supported. LM does actively support and sqash reported bugs. Of course bug squashing is done on a priority basis.

With all the hype, I really expected more out of it. There seems to be little improvement on the parts of it that i'm actually interested in (flight simulation/realism upgrades). hopefully with some further development, and maybe some new physics engines being created in the future it will increase the value of P3D. I'd be interested in seeing where the other vehicle types end up too, as i'm a big fan of sub/ship sims like Silent Hunter.

...are there any other physics engines out there that are usable, or better than current FSX?

Well, if what you are after is better physics, then you should consider Xplane. The key feature is physics based on blade theory and not data table. In other words, feed Xplane any kind of object and it will tell you how it will fly (or fall down in cries of terror). Also, a free demo is available from their website.

T.

With all the hype, I really expected more out of it. There seems to be little improvement on the parts of it that i'm actually interested in (flight simulation/realism upgrades). hopefully with some further development, and maybe some new physics engines being created in the future it will increase the value of P3D. I'd be interested in seeing where the other vehicle types end up too, as i'm a big fan of sub/ship sims like Silent Hunter.

The hype, as you call it. is that there is a possible successor to FSX. MS Flight dissapointed a lot of hardcore simmers and most of us despaired of having a new aircraft simulator in the market. Prepar3D is a blessing in that regard. Of course, it still is basically ESP (or FSX if you want), but it is being upgraded and a new version is expected. At least speaking for myself, I wasn't expecting more than that.

I think some are expecting entirely too much. What's the least most people have wanted for years? Somehow for FSX to at least get SP3. Just fix some of the annoyances, blurries etc.. Lockheed Martin has not only done that they also went ahead and did some more (a lot more and still going).. I fought with fully adopting Prepar3D also but once I got over being stubbornly lazy and fully embraced Prepar3D I am in full supporting it mode. Yes, some addons don't work, and that sucks but that's life.. You wanted change and that change is happening. When things change sometimes you have to leave some other things on the floor. Those things you leave on the floor will most likely only temporary as little by little more developers are starting to at the very least raise an eyebrow at Prepar3D. Others are fully embracing it. The guys at Lockheed Martin are a classy bunch and actively listening to feedback and bug reports.

This is a perfect example at their commitment: http://www.prepar3d....viewtopic&t=927

Customer posts a list of known ESP scenery flaws, and a month later a LM dev posts he is fixing it all as he speaks. That's a fast turn around.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I think some are expecting entirely too much.

That's correct. At this time, Prepar3D is in its infancy, the first major overhaul of the code is coming out with ver 2.0. At this time LM is delivering incremental upgrades and bug correction.

What's the least most people have wanted for years? Somehow for FSX to at least get SP3. Just fix some of the annoyances, blurries etc.. Lockheed Martin has not only done that they also went ahead and did some more (a lot more and still going).. I fought with fully adopting Prepar3D also but once I got over being stubbornly lazy and fully embraced Prepar3D I am in full supporting it mode. Yes, some addons don't work, and that sucks but that's life.. You wanted change and that change is happening. When things change sometimes you have to leave some other things on the floor. Those things you leave on the floor will most likely only temporary as little by little more developers are starting to at the very least raise an eyebrow at Prepar3D. Others are fully embracing it.

I believe that most people, including some add-on developers, are actually waiting for ver 2.0 before commiting themselves. I understand that ORBX is actually working with LM regarding ver 2.0.

The guys at Lockheed Martin are a classy bunch and actively listening to feedback and bug reports.

This is a perfect example at their commitment: http://www.prepar3d....viewtopic&t=927

Customer posts a list of known ESP scenery flaws, and a month later a LM dev posts he is fixing it all as he speaks. That's a fast turn around.

For me that is the main selling point. Actual support.

That's correct. At this time, Prepar3D is in its infancy, the first major overhaul of the code is coming out with ver 2.0. At this time LM is delivering incremental upgrades and bug correction.

I believe that most people, including some add-on developers, are actually waiting for ver 2.0 before commiting themselves. I understand that ORBX is actually working with LM regarding ver 2.0.

For me that is the main selling point. Actual support.

It's great that they're providing sufficient support and all, but that's not really what's going to sell the product to me :/..product support should be expected of any dev who's accepting money for the product. From all the comparison i've seen, P3D (for now) is still just a tweaked version of FSX. On the other hand i think it's great that someone (LM) is taking simming seriously with plans to expand on what's already here, but still I don't see the need to convert just yet. When they implement something that improves the overal quallity of the sim such as new physics, ATC, etc. then I'll be here waiting patiently.

evro, my friend, you are just a touch tendentious.

P3D is FSX on vitamins - LM is slowly cleaning up the worst problems with FSX or the MS ESP. In my opinion it is now better running than FSX and many developers of Add-ons are moving to it, as an option of course.

From comments in this and the LM forum, the present version 1.3 is not the last with more updates to come.

It is wonderfully backward compatible and with a bit of forum reading and care with EULAs, most everything can be made to work.

If the DX11 P3D v2.0 is not backward comapatible so what, then we move to another era of simming. I have more than enough add-ons rendered useless just by OS changes let-alone simulator changes. But if it is the next great step forward that will be wonderful.

If you prefer to stay with the legacy FSX then do so, if it runs well for you then continue with it. It is a free world and it is your choice.

But if what has been said in the posts above does not convince you, then please stop shouting from the rooftops.

It is wonderfully backward compatible and with a bit of forum reading and care with EULAs, most everything can be made to work.

If the DX11 P3D v2.0 is not backward comapatible so what, then we move to another era of simming. I have more than enough add-ons rendered useless just by OS changes let-alone simulator changes. But if it is the next great step forward that will be wonderful.

Just an addendum, the P3D team has said that they are trying to maintain backwards compatibility for as long as it is possible.

here is some "from the horses mouth" stuff about backwards compatibility:

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum-5/?mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=757

Having said that, I have heard it mentioned that V2 with DX11 shaders will not be so compatible as 1.3, but I can't find the posts now (they were on the LM forum)

j

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Your question has been answered well in many forums.

To put it succinctly LM has acquired the longstanding orphan, FSX, or more correctly, its source code ESP. So think of the present state of P3D as FSX on vitamins. Getting the work abandoned with the sacking of ACES by Microsoft all those years ago.

More upgrades are coming to v1.3 so by the end of the year some of the worst limitiations of FSX should be gone.

v2.0 seems to be more likely next year, and that will be the never started FS11. FSX on steroids.

DX11 is mentioned, but also backward compatability seems still on the menu.

I no longer fly FSX. P3D though still with many bugs, is smoother and crisper than the fossilised FSX.