Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Air1

Detail,Detail,Detail

I landed at the Very Long Baseline Array site on the side of Mauna Kea. I then ran all the way ( about 5 miles ) up the road to the Observatory Domes to have a look around. What detail with all the buildings, what a view of the surrounding area. But then I did not feel like hiking all the way down to the RV so I conjured up a Maule out of thin air and fly off into the sunset. A very short field takeoff and down hill to pick up flying speed.

Steve A

... But then I did not feel like hiking all the way down to the RV so I conjured up a Maule out of thin air and fly off into the sunset. A very short field takeoff and down hill to pick up flying speed.

Dang I wish I'd known that trick earlier! There were a couple of times I went on Aerocache hiking expeditions and had a b*tch of a time finding my aircraft afterwards. :LMAO:

Dang I wish I'd known that trick earlier! There were a couple of times I went on Aerocache hiking expeditions and had a b*tch of a time finding my aircraft afterwards. :LMAO:

LOL

You can ALWAYS bring up the map (well, not during jobs and missions) and go to the hangar to pick a plane (also the one you left behind earlier on) and/or move yourself elsewhere (no real need for a short field takeoff either). It saves quite some time walking... :wink:

Wait...I feel dumb....

How do you conjure up a plane on the ground? When I go to my map into the freeflight section and move a plane around, I always begin in the air.

Only other way I know is to 'take-off' from an aiport. Is there a way in free flight to produce a plane on the ground?

Wait...I feel dumb....

Don't feel dumb, I was about to ask the same question - glad you beat me to it!

:smile:

After you land and exit the aircraft, walk to a different location and exit free flight. Start freeflight again and the aircraft will appear where you were last standing on the ground. Very nice when you get lost and can't find where you parked the dang thing. Oh yes, when you are out of freeflight you can also go the hanger and change aircraft, add fuel or whatever. Have fun.

Last time I landed to get an Aerocache, I misjudged the distance and had to walk for about 10 minutes (use Shift + right mouse click to Run!). Now, I try to get them by kamikaze diving! :LMAO:

Great pictures, amazing detail, and all the landmarks are like that. Incredible attention to detail.

Best regards.

Luis

You can also use the "Summon Airplane" trick for a simulated pushback if you taxi too close to an obstacle and can't turn around... Just get out, walk to where you want your plane to be, face in the direction you want the nose pointing, and open the hangar menu to pick your plane.

I found that I can run by pulling the triger on my joystick as I push forward to walk. The triger normally is used for the brakes when in the aircraft.

After you land and exit the aircraft, walk to a different location and exit free flight. Start freeflight again and the aircraft will appear where you were last standing on the ground. Very nice when you get lost and can't find where you parked the dang thing. Oh yes, when you are out of freeflight you can also go the hanger and change aircraft, add fuel or whatever. Have fun.

Funny how people define things differently. When you said 'exit free flight' I thought you meant 'go to the main menu'. But the last sentence shows you meant what I would call 'go to the map'. When I go to the map (which I always do with M) I don't have the idea I have exited the flight: with one press of M I am back in the plane again, almost instantly. :wink: I only 'exit the flight' when I go to the main menu or exit the game altogether.

BTW One of the things I like very much about Flight is how easy you can get to the map and all the options and back again to the game by just pressing M. It's fast and easy and awesome!

Thanks Air1 for bringing this to my attention.

Now if I could just get this pesky job finished for the day, I could get get home and try this out!

One of my group flying buddies (Wingman Tingly) came up with an in-game way of backing up with the RV-6:

1. Parking Brake ON
  2. Throttle FULL
  3. Mixture OFF (full lean)
  4. Parking Brake OFF

Do steps 3 & 4 quickly. Once you get the timing right, the RV will back up around 2-3 plane lengths.

Lol, nose strut compression recoil?

Mmmm, could be. :smile:

I haven't gotten it to work on any of the other cockpit planes. One guy tried it the other night on one of the warbirds and immediately flipped it on its nose. :LMAO:

Well, it wouldn't work on any tail-dragger.

Notice how going to high-power with brakes set causes the nose to dip a bit? The thrust, with no other reaction available due to the brakes, pushing forward on the nose gear causes the shock absorber to compress slightly. The plane is trying to pivot vertically around the braked main gear, but a planet is getting in the way.

Suddenly releasing that forward pressure by killing the engine, combined with simultaneously releasing the brakes could account for that bit of pushback as the shock absorber rebounds.

How do you set the brake in the RV-6? I have yet to find it.

and also - why walk to get aerocaches? Ive only found about two that I had to get out of my aircraft for. Of course walking does give you a better view and I did get a careless award while trying to get one particular set of falls. but its fun trying to get a cache thats five feet off the ground and nestled between buildings and trees while doing 140knots :)

and also - why walk to get aerocaches? Ive only found about two that I had to get out of my aircraft for. Of course walking does give you a better view and I did get a careless award while trying to get one particular set of falls. but its fun trying to get a cache thats five feet off the ground and nestled between buildings and trees while doing 140knots :)

RV-6 brake: you can only set it with a key shortcut (Shift-X). Unfortunately...

I never walk for any aerocache: I simply fly straight at it and when I have it and am 1 second away from a fatal crash, I press M and reposition myself elsewhere on the map. :wink:

You don't even really have to set the parking brake to try the pushback trick... simply hold the regular brakes button and you will get the same effect. Just don't accidentally release them at high-power unless you want to "go for a ride."

I walked to a couple of "hard" aerocaches early on, but soon mastered semi-suicidal dives and got the rest by air. I do wish I'd gotten a video of when I rolled inverted just above a mountain peak, then dove straight down the face of a waterfall to get one, actually smacking tree limbs on the pull-out and nearly tumbling out of control before recovering and flying away. That was fun!

I first did the walkabout method while going for one of the waterfalls on Kauai, and was really impressed with the scenery (holy sheep dip those mountains are steep...) Strolling up those valleys was really cool.

Of course, I also enjoy screaming around between trees, buildings, through hangars, under bridges, under awnings... :biggrin:

never walk for any aerocache: I simply fly straight at it and when I have it and am 1 second away from a fatal crash, I press M and reposition myself elsewhere on the map.

Ahh man, that's just wrong!!

Translation = now why didn't I think of that...

holy sheep dip those mountains are steep...

When I was a child and drew pictures of mountains, they were all vertical sides and sharp, pointy tops. Then I grew up and saw real mountains, and knew those childish drawings were pretty bad.

Then I went to Hawaii and found those mountains I used to draw as a kid!

Ahh man, that's just wrong!!

Translation = now why didn't I think of that...

LOL

RV-6 brake: you can only set it with a key shortcut (Shift-X). Unfortunately...

I never walk for any aerocache: I simply fly straight at it and when I have it and am 1 second away from a fatal crash, I press M and reposition myself elsewhere on the map. :wink:

J Van E - Thanks. I looked all over that aircraft and never could find the brake.

You don't even really have to set the parking brake to try the pushback trick... simply hold the regular brakes button and you will get the same effect. Just don't accidentally release them at high-power unless you want to "go for a ride."

I walked to a couple of "hard" aerocaches early on, but soon mastered semi-suicidal dives and got the rest by air. I do wish I'd gotten a video of when I rolled inverted just above a mountain peak, then dove straight down the face of a waterfall to get one, actually smacking tree limbs on the pull-out and nearly tumbling out of control before recovering and flying away. That was fun!

RoboRay - This is exactly how I found out how maneuverable the RV-6 (and apparently me) was. grammar. HAH! but yeah....I was trying to get this one set of falls and I just missed it and was headed for the mountainside so I pulled straight up and then arched it over and fell straight back down and the air started buffeting the wings and the roar picked up and I swooped in and got the cache and made it out alive...it was FUN.