Sign in to follow this  
louiseSEUK

Finding an airport x miles from my origin

Hi everyone,

Bit of another way round to the usual Flight planner questions. Are there any tools (freeware/payware/online) that can tell me available airports within a radius of origin airport? Googling has not been very fruitful on this.

EG - Airport A is my origin. I would like to be able to find all available airports of no more than an hour of airport A, or a distance of 500nm (give or take) of it.

Can't see that this is something I am able to do in FSCommander or FSBuild. At the moment, I am picking an airport and then guessing distances, which can be a bit hit and miss!

Thanks, Leo

Louise

London, UK

I'm not going to be much help, but yes there is such a tool. I've seen it in the past, but don't see it on my HD. Hopefully someone else will come along with some more info or a link. I'll keep browsing through my HD to see if I hid it somewhere that I don't recall...

It was something along the lines of; I'm at airport 'X', flying airplane 'A' with a speed of 'Y' kts, tell me what airports are within 'Z' distance. A cool bit of programming, IMO.

Thanks Meshman, that's exactly the sort of tool I was looking for! At last I know it exists now. Next step will be finding it :-)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Louise

London, UK

If you pull up the FSX GPS,(F4) key, it will give you a short list of nearest airports ,and navaids.

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

I just use Google Earth. You can turn on Airports in the Primary Database under More/Transportation/Airports and measure distances with the ruler tool. This more of a visual tool compared to what you are talking about but it does work. You also get to see what terrain you will be flying over.

You can also try PlanG as it builds a database from FSX or FS2004 and can provide a lot of information as well....and it is freeware.

Cheers

Matthew Kane

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. Bigsky - I don't often fly planes using the default GPS, but its obvious now you mention it :)

I'm taking a look at Plan G - the Range rings look to be getting there for what I'm hoping to achieve and lots more by the looks of it, so thanks to you ytzpilot. You can't really beat freeware either!

Louise

London, UK

Are there any tools (freeware/payware/online) that can tell me available airports within a radius of origin airport? Googling has not been very fruitful on this.

Hello

Martin Gleeson wrote a very nice program to do this, it will also let you search on distance , runway lenght , surface type , specific direction N,S,E W ect.

Find it in the Avsim library although it says FS9 it also works correctly for FSX as it pulls the data from the sims scenery files.

Filename: destination_finder_for_fs9_v1.1.zip

License: Freeware

Added: 24th January 2008

Downloads: 4051

Author: Martin Gleeson

Size: 1767kb

Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but at least something:

http://www.freemapto...round-point.htm

mapcircle.jpg

You can choose your airport as the radius point and then, knowing the distance to your destination, type in the distance to get the circle.

Wow, the suggestions keep coming; mad dog you've found me just what I am after - epic work there, sir. Rafal, this looks a lot like the ring function in gmap that I mentioned earlier (which I am liking, btw).

Louise

London, UK

Hello Leo

I have been using Destination Finder over my network for quite a while now, very nicely written piece of software, amazing what folk give to the hobby as freeware.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I've played around with plan-g; I love its distance feature, very cool. Kudos to the clever integration with Google Earth. Still getting to grips with its flight planning, though I suspect at the moment I will probably stick with FSC/FSBuild for that. Destination Finder though was without doubt precisely what I was looking for, thank you for that!

As Mad Dog says, I really am amazed at the freeware stuff that you can find these days - just about an app for anything :)

Louise

London, UK