Sign in to follow this  
mcbellette

Qantas and the Boeing 777

His name is Oliver Cooksey. Show me where it says in either the AVSIM forum rules or PMDG forum rules that prohibits names being used for usernames.

I just did, it said must be signed to posts. ie manually or in the signature box, but not user names. We not know that for sure that is his real name. enough said

From what i remember about the history of QF & 777 was they helped extensivly in the developement of it - but simply the aircraft couldnt do the long haul legs from Aust to Europe because of headwind component - the return direction no problem.

This forum police thing is getting annoying...

But to stay on topic, I think Qantas should invest in some 777-200LR... To be honest, there are 2 liveries that look absolutely horrible on the A380: Qantas and Malaysian Airlines. Seriously. The thing is too dang big for their logo.

Edited by linux731

I just did, it said must be signed to posts. ie manually or in the signature box, but not user names. We not know that for sure that is his real name. enough said

How come you are not using your user name as your real name ?

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

Leave the policing to PMDG and there will be far less conflicts between posters here if we followed that suggestion. Anyways here is a tibit on 777 development from Boeing.

Japan is the largest market for Boeing twin-aisle airplanes. Japan Airlines

(JAL) is the largest 747 customer, having ordered 186 airplanes from the 747

family to date. All Nippon Airways (ANA) operates 60 Boeing 767s, making it

the largest international customer for this family of airplanes. Together,

Japan’s major carriers — JAL Group and ANA — make Japan the largest

international customer for the 777, with a total of 105 ordered. Also, in 1999,

ANA became the first airline in the world to operate the initial three 777

models: the 777-200, -200ER and -300.

Japan also plays an important role in launching major new programs. JAL and

ANA were among a number of carriers with whom Boeing held intensive

discussions to define and develop the 777 configuration. ANA was one of the

launch customers of the Boeing 777 and became the first Asian carrier to operate

the airplane it helped define. Led by MHI, KHI and FHI, the Japan Aircraft

Industry (JAI) builds approximately 20 percent of the airframe structure —

making Japan the largest single international participant in the 777 program.

Kinda strange that they say that ANA was the first operator of the 200 model when Boeing also shows that United was the launch customer, unless they mean to say that ANA is the first to operate all 3 at the same time.

http://www.boeing.co...ackgrounder.pdf

http://www.boeing.co...background.html

Moving back on topic, I read somewhere that QANTAS were a major decisions maker in the design and construction processes of the 777. For them to not place an order for the aircraft would mean there was ever an issue with the Aircraft design they didn't like, a secret dealing with Airbus (As mentioned before) or maybe they just lost interest in the aircraft.

The Airbus A330 is quite a decent aircraft compared to the B777. If they hadn't had any input into the development of the B777 then buying the A330 wouldn't seem to bad of a thing.

Hi Everyone,

I believe that QANTAS made a huge mistake in not buying the B772LR when it became available. Historically, QANTAS has always been a long haul airline flying some of the longest sectors / routes in the world. The LR would have fit perfectly into their fleet for this role.

The problem is QANTAS has become too Sydney centric. Where I live in Perth, I can fly to either SIngapore or Hong Kong with QANTAS. If I want to get to America or Europe I need to go to either Singapore or Sydney, change planes and fly to one of the the destinations they deem to be most desirable. I married into a Dutch family and while I enjoyed my visit to London, don't want to fly to Singapore (change plane), Heathrow then (change plane) fly back to Amsterdam. Emirates for example flies one stop direct to most detinations and has a more desirable time of departure or arrival.

Smaller, longer ranges aircraft like the B772LR would allow them offer a greater number of non stop destinations from Perth, Adelaide, Darwin and Brisbane. Perhaps then their International arm of the operation wouldn't be in such dire straight.

My 2 cents,

Cheers,

Greg Johnstone

Hi Everyone,

I believe that QANTAS made a huge mistake in not buying the B772LR when it became available. Historically, QANTAS has always been a long haul airline flying some of the longest sectors / routes in the world. The LR would have fit perfectly into their fleet for this role.

The problem is QANTAS has become too Sydney centric. Where I live in Perth, I can fly to either SIngapore or Hong Kong with QANTAS. If I want to get to America or Europe I need to go to either Singapore or Sydney, change planes and fly to one of the the destinations they deem to be most desirable. I married into a Dutch family and while I enjoyed my visit to London, don't want to fly to Singapore (change plane), Heathrow then (change plane) fly back to Amsterdam. Emirates for example flies one stop direct to most detinations and has a more desirable time of departure or arrival.

Smaller, longer ranges aircraft like the B772LR would allow them offer a greater number of non stop destinations from Perth, Adelaide, Darwin and Brisbane. Perhaps then their International arm of the operation wouldn't be in such dire straight.

My 2 cents,

Cheers,

Greg Johnstone

Great read Greg. I have the same situation too. I wanted 1 stop to Manchester but only emirates do that (at 3x the price too). QANTAS just don't seem bothered with Perth, so much that they don't even have a lounge at the international terminal, unlike Singapore, emirates and virgin (through the use of singapores lounge).

I don't see QANTAS adding anymore flights out of Perth for a while and instead international airlines and Virgin will continue to grow from here. Maybe if they had got the 777-200LR on a Perth - London route non-stop, there international department wouldn't be in the negatives.

I would not be talking if I where u!!! You do not have your real name as your user name, unless you are a plane and and that is your registration. Plus there is no rule saying your name has to be your user name, enough said homey.

I think what I posted went over your head, I was referring to your username, and how appropriate it is.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

This forum police thing is getting annoying...

But to stay on topic, I think Qantas should invest in some 777-200LR... To be honest, there are 2 liveries that look absolutely horrible on the A380: Qantas and Malaysian Airlines. Seriously. The thing is too dang big for their logo.

The tail seems way too big for the kangaroo.

I think what I posted went over your head, I was referring to your username, and how appropriate it is.

Quoting Michael Kelso (not sure you guys get American tv down there): burn!

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

I also think they need to buy the 777, the A330 would still be better in terms of load factor on Asian and domestic flights. But flights across the pacific, to Africa and even Europe could be done better with the 777. Now Qantas is contemplating the A332 on some routes to Europe.

But maybe they need to invest in the new 748 instead? This would do better on it's DFW-SYD route and finally be a welcoming upgrade to the SYD-FRA route.

Just a thought

Yours truly
Boaz Fraizer
Copenhagen, Denmark

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

I also think they need to buy the 777, the A330 would still be better in terms of load factor on Asian and domestic flights. But flights across the pacific, to Africa and even Europe could be done better with the 777. Now Qantas is contemplating the A332 on some routes to Europe.

But maybe they need to invest in the new 748 instead? This would do better on it's DFW-SYD route and finally be a welcoming upgrade to the SYD-FRA route.

Just a thought

Problem is QANTAS won't invest in there long haul fleet for a long time. They have delayed there A380s on order and are keeping there 744 in service till 2018, not to mention the cutback recently.

And now they are separating domestic and international as 2 separate divisions

"

QANTAS today announced that from July it would split its business into International and Domestic divisions which would each have their own Chief Executive and would report their financial results separately. With International Airbus A330 and Boeing 747 aircraft and crews scheduled to operate on Domestic Australian services and Domestic Boeing 737 and 767 aircraft and crews operating International services to Auckland and Noumea this will have complications.

Current Frequent Flyer Chief Executive Simon Hickey will head QANTAS International whilst current Executive of Operations Lyell Strambi will head QANTAS Domestic. Both will report to CEO Alan Joyce.

Both QANTAS International and QANTAS Domestic divisions will be covered by the QANTAS Sale Act preventing majority foreign ownership."

And now they are separating domestic and international as 2 separate companies (Not divisions)

"

QANTAS today announced that from July it would split its business into International and Domestic divisions which would each have their own Chief Executive and would report their financial results separately. With International Airbus A330 and Boeing 747 aircraft and crews scheduled to operate on Domestic Australian services and Domestic Boeing 737 and 767 aircraft and crews operating International services to Auckland and Noumea this will have complications.

Current Frequent Flyer Chief Executive Simon Hickey will head QANTAS International whilst current Executive of Operations Lyell Strambi will head QANTAS Domestic. Both will report to CEO Alan Joyce.

Both QANTAS International and QANTAS Domestic divisions will be covered by the QANTAS Sale Act preventing majority foreign ownership."

How would upgrading work with two different companies? I'd say flying as a 737 captain would get tiresome after a while...

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

They use NZ pilots (Jet Connect) for Trans Tasman so the aussie pilots would be stuck flying around just doing a milk run.