Sign in to follow this  
mcbellette

Qantas and the Boeing 777

Oliver, I recently read an article in an aviation magazine in which the boss of Qantas was interviewed. He said that Qantas' international arm was losing money and that only Qantas' domestic services plus Jetstar's continued success is keeping the airline afloat. Reading between the lines, it sounds like Qantas does not intend to make large capital outlays on its international fleet in the short term and will focus on updating/upgrading its domestic operations first. That's what I reckon, anyway.

For too long, QANTAS has neglected their product. The ceo and board fat cats, content in the knowledge that they were the only major, fulll service airline that operated both domestically and internationally would be able to rely on aussies being nationalistic and only flying on the national carrier, regardless of price, convenience andthe quality of their product. Once industry leaders, they have been reactionary to other airlines innovations and wanted their customers believe that they know what's best for them.

QANTAS has missed the boat in so many ways over the past 20 years. Quality IFE is still hit and miss, personal space on board is minimal and they only introduced premium economy, on select aircraft, in the last few years. They have major industrial relations issues and the current CEO seems to be hell bent on off shoring most aspects of the airline.

It's a pity really. If the A380 engine failure happened to many other airlines, we could very well have been reading about the shocking number deaths on the first crash of the A380. For many in australia QANTAS is still their first choice, especially domestically. The delays of the b787 have hit them hard but is still really no excuse to offer a sub par product.

No matter what aircraft an airline flies, and the b777 is probably one of the best, ultimately it comes down to having a quality product for a reasonable price. QANTAS is failing massively in this at the moment and I fear it will be not too long before the Flying Kangaroo logo can only be seen inside Australia.

Thank you for listening to my rant.

Cheers,

Greg Johnstone

Oliver, I recently read an article in an aviation magazine in which the boss of Qantas was interviewed. He said that Qantas' international arm was losing money and that only Qantas' domestic services plus Jetstar's continued success is keeping the airline afloat. Reading between the lines, it sounds like Qantas does not intend to make large capital outlays on its international fleet in the short term and will focus on updating/upgrading its domestic operations first. That's what I reckon, anyway.

This wasn't Australian aviation or Airliner World was it? I read a similar thing and personally don't see there international devision lasting long.

I think what I posted went over your head, I was referring to your username, and how appropriate it is.

LMFAO its so true sometimes.

Hi Everyone,

I believe that QANTAS made a huge mistake in not buying the B772LR when it became available. Historically, QANTAS has always been a long haul airline flying some of the longest sectors / routes in the world. The LR would have fit perfectly into their fleet for this role.

The problem is QANTAS has become too Sydney centric. Where I live in Perth, I can fly to either SIngapore or Hong Kong with QANTAS. If I want to get to America or Europe I need to go to either Singapore or Sydney, change planes and fly to one of the the destinations they deem to be most desirable. I married into a Dutch family and while I enjoyed my visit to London, don't want to fly to Singapore (change plane), Heathrow then (change plane) fly back to Amsterdam. Emirates for example flies one stop direct to most detinations and has a more desirable time of departure or arrival.

Smaller, longer ranges aircraft like the B772LR would allow them offer a greater number of non stop destinations from Perth, Adelaide, Darwin and Brisbane. Perhaps then their International arm of the operation wouldn't be in such dire straight.

My 2 cents,

Cheers,

Greg Johnstone

I am not sure about the specifics of the market in Perth, but for Qantas to make money on routes the flights need to have strong yields. For an airlines such as Qantas strong yields mean that both Business and First Class are filled with paying passengers. If Perth can't provide that in strong enough numbers, then there is no way it will work. For YPPH-EGLL to work I believe the 777-200LR would need to take a weight penalty, so cargo loads or even passenger loads will need to be reduced, so it is not that viable.

The Airbus A330 is quite a decent aircraft compared to the B777. If they hadn't had any input into the development of the B777 then buying the A330 wouldn't seem to bad of a thing.

The thing is that the A330 was meant to be a 767 competitor, not a 777 competitor.

I am not sure about the specifics of the market in Perth, but for Qantas to make money on routes the flights need to have strong yields. For an airlines such as Qantas strong yields mean that both Business and First Class are filled with paying passengers. If Perth can't provide that in strong enough numbers, then there is no way it will work. For YPPH-EGLL to work I believe the 777-200LR would need to take a weight penalty, so cargo loads or even passenger loads will need to be reduced, so it is not that viable.

Perth has the market. We have flights from all over Asia and the middle east. QANTAS are just too Eastern State focused and can't be stuffed doing anything in Perth.

I would not be talking if I where u!!! You do not have your real name as your user name, unless you are a plane and and that is your registration. Plus there is no rule saying your name has to be your user name, enough said homey.

I gathered so much about you in the 3 sentences you wrote.

Anyway

They use NZ pilots (Jet Connect) for Trans Tasman so the aussie pilots would be stuck flying around just doing a milk run.

I did not know that, I guess you learn something new each day.

Regards,
Jamaljé Bassue

So why is the 777-300ER not right for Qantas? For Air NZ, the 777-300ER is the largest aircraft they need going forward. Qantas, however, needs more capacity. Enter the A380, an aircraft Qantas has consistently filled to Los Angeles, Singapore, and London. Offering the 777-300ER, an aircraft with fewer seats, on key and slot-restricted routes is not justified.

Then enters the argument the 777 could serve secondary Qantas routes, such as Australia to Asia and from Asia to smaller European cities. But there the 777 is too much aircraft. The mainland Chinese carriers, as well as Cathay Pacific, primarily operate the A330 into Australia. Soon Malaysia Airlines will start replacing the 777 on Australian routes with the A330 (a move a few years behind AirAsia X).

Even better than using the A330 instead of the 777 would be the 787, which Qantas would have been doing by now if it were not for programme delays.

So while perfect for Air NZ, the 777 for Qantas is either too little or too much, and not just right.

ANZ's 77W is the best 777 I've been on to date. Seats, food, service and those 115 rumbles!

Ahh yes, the joys of AVSIM - nothing better than getting ordered to do something by some immature adolescent with no authority whatsoever.

Anyway...

Leave the policing to PMDG and there will be far less conflicts between posters here if we followed that suggestion. Anyways here is a tibit on 777 development from Boeing.

Kinda strange that they say that ANA was the first operator of the 200 model when Boeing also shows that United was the launch customer, unless they mean to say that ANA is the first to operate all 3 at the same time.

http://www.boeing.co...ackgrounder.pdf

http://www.boeing.co...background.html

First Asian operator. United was in fact the first operator of the 777, N777UA was the first delivered 777, although not the first built.

Go look at boeings website, with pax a 200LR can go Between LHR- SYD. It is in its range. Sign your name to, it is a fourm rule.

While it's technically possible, yes, it's not economically possible, i.e. capable of making a viable profit in normal passenger transporting operations. An empty 744 can make EGLL-YSSY too for that matter, not that that means much. As I understand it, most of the issue derives from the westbound YSSY-EGLL because of the winds, not necessarily EGLL-YSSY. Obviously, you can't have one without the other.

-john paul

ANZ's 77W is the best 777 I've been on to date. Seats, food, service and those 115 rumbles!

Like your video's, which are the best Luke :)

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

BA did fly a 777 non stop PER LHR, but it only had the Queen and her crew on it, Perth airport is not really a suitable stop over for people flying from the eastern states to the UK via PER

For international flights, Qantas is not the preferred airline, Qantas only has 18% of the international market share, so 82% of the flying public choose to fly a foreign carrier, this is costing $200 million last FY, a lot of this comes down to price, the Australian government de-regulated foreign airlines, into and out of Australia, and therefore can operate at a much lower cost than Qantas, when ever they like, taking passengers away from Qantas, also Qantas is what they call an End of line carrier, that is, Australia is not really a stop over point for any where, unlike Singapore or Hong Kong, If Qantas operates a flight PER SIN, they can really only carry passengers who travel on wards to LHR, where as when Singapore airlines operates a PER SIN flight, they can carry passengers that can travel all over Asia.

There is no level playing field.

Regards

Kirk