Sign in to follow this  
Nane

Takeoff "beeping"

Hello!

Shortly after i takeoff the NGX starts beeping and i can see the letters "om" on the panel. This lasts for about 15 sec, and returns for another 15 sec on the final approach.

What is this?

Thank you

Thats the marker beacon for the opposite runway you took off from. Set your nav radios to 108.00 and i should go away

Thats the marker beacon for the opposite runway you took off from. Set your nav radios to 108.00 and i should go away

Jack, I've heard that you are RW pilot, but where is it stated that 108.0 will turn off marker sound? Or you know it from your experience?

I thought i have to turn off MKR switch on audio control panel.

Did you push ctrl+1-4 ? This enables the Speaker on the different radios (ADF or NAV)

Jack, I've heard that you are RW pilot, but where is it stated that 108.0 will turn off marker sound? Or you know it from your experience?

It's like FM Radio stations. The band is protected (in the States at least) up to 108.0 MHz, but normal radios for FM only really go to 107.9. Similarly, even though there's a large range of frequencies allocated for both voice and nav in aviation, certain frequencies go unused at the top and bottom because of interference from other bands, poor propagation, and other factors.

Kyle Rodgers

Hey Rostyslav. This exact topic came up during beta. Ryan ad asked me about the marker beacons. And my honest answer was You know, I dont recall ever hearing the marker beacons going off in our plane. Up here in Canada we gt rid f marker beacons in the 90s but we do fly down in the states a lot. I am not sure if the marker beacon is an option (it must be) for the NG. So to tell you the truth I wouldn't know how to turn them off on the NG. I would assume (and a big assumption) would be they might work in conjunction with the ILS freq. so by turning the freq to 108.00 would ALMOST guarantee the dsabling of the beacons. I havent come across any ILS freqs that are 108.00. In fact the only 108.00 freq I know of is around LAS. I dont think its an ILS freq though. I only know it exists because unless we are using the NAV radios, they are always on 108.00. So we we are near LAS the green dashed line always appears on our ND.

But you're not supposed to tune your NAV radio with the beacons. They flash automatically; you can just make them silent by turning off the mic at the audio panel (or hear it if mic is on of course!)...

The radio freq is irrelevant, isn't it?

You don't tune marker beacons. They are completely separate from the ILS.

Back in the day, you could fly around the country and have marker beacons light up at cruise, simply because you happened to fly over an airport's approach. Not so common anymore.

Matt Cee

Marker beacons are separate from ILS frequency. The working principle of marker beacon is transmission of the defined signal in very limited upwardly direction, leading to the airplane overflying to recieve the signal for a short period of time. The aircraft can differentiate between three types of markers, outer, middle and inner, although even historically, inner was very rarely used.

The markers emit the same signal at their every point of placement, thereby being indistinguishable one from another (if of the same kind).

On overflying a marker in the NG, an indication will be shown on top right corner of the PFD, and, if set so, aural signal will sound.

Hello!

Shortly after i takeoff the NGX starts beeping and i can see the letters "om" on the panel. This lasts for about 15 sec, and returns for another 15 sec on the final approach.

What is this?

Thank you

You pick up the Outer Marker and Inner Marker. These are mandatory beacons for an ILS approach for cross-reference (altitude vs. distance from touchdown zone). An alternative is an independant DME station. All this according to ICAO requirments, don't know about FAA-stuff.

Bert Van Bulck

Do you have a newer version of FSUIPC4 installed?

If you do, there is a version of that utility that will beep a warning if you are about to have an OOM. Peter Dowson put this in as a nice warning tool.....and I have personally experienced it when landing at a complex airport, with the PMDG 737 NGX and FS2Crew voice edition running. I believe the time between beeps gets shorter as you get closer to the out of memory situation.

It is just a thought.

Bill Clark

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB

If you do, there is a version of that utility that will beep a warning if you are about to have an OOM. Peter Dowson put this in as a nice warning tool.....and I have personally experienced it when landing at a complex airport, with the PMDG 737 NGX and FS2Crew voice edition running. I believe the time between beeps gets shorter as you get closer to the out of memory situation.

It is just a thought.

Bill Clark

Bill, that "om" on the panel described in the original post is most likely the outer marker icon on the PFD (see icon 3 on page 10.11.16 of the FCOM). I'm pretty sure it's not an "outa memory" warning. Straight%20Face.gif

All, marker beacons operate at 75 MHz and can't be tuned. In an aircraft like the 737 they're always on (if installed, as in the case of the aircraft modeled by PMDG). The only thing you can do is turn the audio off. See area 2 and the switch labeled "MKR" on page 5.10.6 of the FCOM for the push-to-toggle switch location.

See this article from Wikipedia for examples of the tones.

Herman Ross

Seattle, USA

Thanks, now i know what it is, and that theres nothing wrong.

Ill try that.

It is just a thought.

Bill Clark

Im pretty sure its the outer marker beeping. Its the same interval between the beeps.

Nathan