Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Questions about iFly 737

Performence is one thing that concerns me somewhat.

Remember that all systems are different - my own experience on an i7 920 @ 3.2 Ghz is similar to Mad Dog's. Also remember the the FSX only version of the iFly is only $55 and has a 30 day full refund policy with no questions asked since it is a Flight1 product.

DJ

Actually, performance on the PMDG one is not bad considering its complexity. Like I previously mentioned, the iFly one is a bit less demanding on system resources and so is more able to cope with other things running alongside FSX, but you might be surprised how well the PMDG one runs; when it was still awaiting release, people were fretting all over the PMDG forums and racing out to buy I7 processors and fifty Gigs of RAM, thinking that anything less would see it be a slideshow, but it's not like that at all. Sure it needs a fairly decent computer, but it doesn't necessarily need a rocket ship PC to be usable.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

"Still I hesitate $70 is very expensive for an addon plane"

Well, you knew this prior to your first post.

So, back to iFly then. Lower initial + upgrade price for iFly FS9 and FSX.

Then you can purchase the PMDG NGX later.

Rather like this

1) Pick either iFly 737 or PMDG 737NGX

2) A2A B377 + COTS (also very advanced addon but of course a completely different plane)

3) Concorde X

then think about the order to get them

Actually, performance on the PMDG one is not bad considering its complexity. Like I previously mentioned, the iFly one is a bit less demanding on system resources and so is more able to cope with other things running alongside FSX, but you might be surprised how well the PMDG one runs; when it was still awaiting release, people were fretting all over the PMDG forums and racing out to buy I7 processors and fifty Gigs of RAM, thinking that anything less would see it be a slideshow, but it's not like that at all. Sure it needs a fairly decent computer, but it doesn't necessarily need a rocket ship PC to be usable.

Al

Another thing comes to my mind. Does not the iFly also have a weather radar which 737NGX doesn't have?

Does not the iFly also have a weather radar which 737NGX doesn't have?

No, it doesn't implement weather radar. It does have the terrain display however.

DJ

Frankly, all my aeroplanes have a weather radar thanks to Captain Sim. And yes I know it's not completely functional like a real weather radar, but then again there isn't really air in my PMDG or iFly NG's tires either, or any real ice on the wings, or a nun in the passenger compartment who can get out her guitar and sing to a child who is ill when I have an in flight emergency, but I'm happy to pretend that there is.

Al

Alan Bradbury

I've got to chime in on the whole price/value side of this. I haven't flown the iFly yet, but for the $70 you spend on the PMDG what you are actually getting is not simply an add on aircraft. You are buying a complex and complete 737 simulation. It is a study sim that you will spend literally months studying and immersed in. This is not a 4 hour aircraft. You can easily spend a hundred hours in the cockpit of this and still have stuff to learn. It's actually better value then than most any other form of entertainment out there.

Frankly, all my aeroplanes have a weather radar thanks to Captain Sim. And yes I know it's not completely functional like a real weather radar, but then again there isn't really air in my PMDG or iFly NG's tires either, or any real ice on the wings, or a nun in the passenger compartment who can get out her guitar and sing to a child who is ill when I have an in flight emergency, but I'm happy to pretend that there is.

Al

Does Captain Sim sell a standalone weather radar? I must have missed that.

I've got to chime in on the whole price/value side of this. I haven't flown the iFly yet, but for the $70 you spend on the PMDG what you are actually getting is not simply an add on aircraft. You are buying a complex and complete 737 simulation. It is a study sim that you will spend literally months studying and immersed in. This is not a 4 hour aircraft. You can easily spend a hundred hours in the cockpit of this and still have stuff to learn. It's actually better value then than most any other form of entertainment out there.

Can't the same to a high degree be said about iFly also?

Let's see if I can summarise the advantages for each version based on answers in this thread

iFly

+lower price and the possibilty for a refund if you change your mind

+better 2D panel

+somewhat better performence

737NGX

+even deeper system simulation

+better graphic. But I must say it's not obvious from the screenshot in this thread. Maybe they can't do justice to 737NGX. Also are there some slider or options settings required to get that better graphics?

One thing I noticed with the IFly 737 since the feature pack, is performance has dropped. Before the FP I was getting a little higher frames than the NGX, now it actually is about 3 fps less, which is really noticeable on my system, which is not really high powered by today's system standards. (E6850, 3Ghz, GTX460).

And like me you don't have a high end rig. My Phenom II is more powerful than your E6850 I think but your videocard is better than mine GTS250.

Does Captain Sim sell a standalone weather radar? I must have missed that.

http://www.captainsi.../products/r001/

Or, if you have a product which already has it in there (i.e. their 757, 727, 707 etc), you can rip the gauge out and do some surgery yourself on the panel, but frankly, for the price, it's easier just to buy it and use the dedicated installer.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Deleted, misread the post I was responding to.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Have to disagree that the iFly has deeper systems simulations that the PMDG version.

You are misreading jfri's post and have quoted it incorrectly, he wrote that the PMDG NG had deeper systems simulation.

Al

Alan Bradbury

You are misreading jfri's post and have quoted it incorrectly, he wrote that the PMDG NG had deeper systems simulation.

Al

So I was, thanks. Since there wasn't a space between the last iFly part and NGX I misread it.

Apologies to the poster I was quoting for not reading it properly.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator