Sign in to follow this  

How to use GMap as a popup within Flight full screen

Also has the formatting on this topic gone all skew-wiffy? It is for me..The banner that's usually along the top has movwed to the left and the whole topic now needs to be scrolled to the right to read it!

It is not just you, it is doing that to me on every thread here.

can't post new topics either

Can't post any new topics, the display format on the forum threads is screwed up.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Fixed it!!

Went to Windows Start button,

typed 'downloads'.

right-clicked 'FSW GMAP' icon,

clicked 'trouble shoot compatibility',

and now it works.

NOTE:

ctrl/shift Z works on desktop, not in MSF, where I thought I could toggle back and forth, which is what alt/tab does.

Well, I've downloaded all that stuff, and done all that stuff, but ctrl/shift Z still doesn't work when I am in MSF.

With regards to FRAPS, by default it records directly from the DirectX / OpenGL framebuffer, therefore it is unlikely it would capture the GMap popup. There is an option however to record the desktop, so this setting might capture both Flight and GMap.

I take it the iPhone version of iGMap doesn't work with Flight?

Correct. Up to now there only is a Flight-version of GMap for the PC.

I got it working.

I think the failure to follow simple instructions is what's keeping me back in life...

I was starting FLIGHt in full screen mode, not windowed mode. Of course, a program that is trying to make another program appear in pseudo-full-screen mode needs to be started in windowed mode.

Duh.

Great tip Jeroen :smile: thanks (at last)

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

Forgot to add: I have two monitors, different sizes and resolutions..you think this matters?

Well, this topic is about using GMap and Flight on ONE monitor, so it could matter. :wink: Whenever you let Flight run in windowed mode (so also when you let it run in the pseudo windowed mode this topic is about) the RH should NOT be black anymore... You should see the desktop on it. And you should be able to put GMap on it too, meaning you don't need this tutorial at all... :wink:

Well, I've downloaded all that stuff, and done all that stuff, but ctrl/shift Z still doesn't work when I am in MSF.

Odd. However, it happened to me yesterday that pressing ctrl-shift-z enabled GMap but also made it the active window, so I lost sound and (complete) control over Flight, which is not how it is supposed to be. This was due to me restarting Flight but leaving GMap running... So if something goes wrong and you have to restart Flight, always also quit GMap!

So make sure you do EVERYTHING exactly as explained in the tutorial: the order is important! If you have really done all the preparation steps, start Flight, when it is starting press Windows-F11 to go to full screen mode, alt-tab to the desktop, start Gmap, click on the blue GMap button and when GMap is connected to Flight alt-tab back to Flight. You will still see GMap on top of Flight. Then press ctrl-shift-z and see what happens. Make sure you do it all in this order and it should work...

Remember that the opening post has been edited, so you might want to read and follow it once all over again.

So, apart from being a bit stupid and reversing Jeroen's instructions about changing FLIGHT FROM Full-Screen mode TO Windowed mode, and not the other way round, it works a treat with two monitors, and what it does, in additon to the stated goal, is to allow me to use any other program (like Plan-G or the Alaskan webcam site - for terrain familiarisation) as well as GMap, as it just makes my second screen appear like a standard Windows desktop with me able to start, and use, any othr program whilst using FLIGHT!

Double-bonus! :clapping:

JAKE EYRE
It's a small step from the sublime to the ridiculous...Napoleon Bonaparte
newSigBetaTeam.gif
lancairuk.jpg

So, apart from being a bit stupid and reversing Jeroen's instructions about changing FLIGHT FROM Full-Screen mode TO Windowed mode, and not the other way round, it works a treat with two monitors, and what it does, in additon to the stated goal, is to allow me to use any other program (like Plan-G or the Alaskan webcam site - for terrain familiarisation) as well as GMap, as it just makes my second screen appear like a standard Windows desktop with me able to start, and use, any othr program whilst using FLIGHT!

Double-bonus! :clapping:

LOL Glad you've got it working!

Well, it didn't cross my mind that this tutorial is also interesting for those who use two screens...! I simply thought people with two screens were already able to see GMap on the other screen all the time, but of course they would have to use windowed mode, which doesn't look too nice. But with the pseudo full screen trick things of course will look a lot better! :smile:

EDIT

I added this tip for those who have 2 monitors to the OP.

Thanks much for this. I just hooked up my new TrackIR and my pseudo full screen GMap and took a flight through the Clark Lake Pass into Port Alford. Totally changes the entire FLIGHT experience. Just terrific.

Thanks much for this. I just hooked up my new TrackIR and my pseudo full screen GMap and took a flight through the Clark Lake Pass into Port Alford. Totally changes the entire FLIGHT experience. Just terrific.

Ah, another succesfull story. Great to hear that. :wink:

Hi,

I no longer can get my second monitor to display GMAP. It worked fine the other evening but now Flight blacks out the second monitor. I tried various things yesterday but the only thing I can think of that I haven't tried is to "hot" connect the second monitor. I did this when I was able to see GMAP on the second display. I don't recall if Flight or GMAP was running when I hooked it up. Anyone currently able to see GMAP on the second monitor?

Also, I've tried using Plan-G several times and while attempting to use their tutorial involving creation of a flight plan about sightseeing in England, I had a difficult time. Any one know of a really simple tutorial?

Jim F.