Sign in to follow this  
c97019

What is this? Shadows in IMC

2zrp0fr.png

f0rlae.png

I can't figure out what these fog/shadow things are when I'm in IMC. I was doing one of the landing challenges for the RV-6 on friday, the initial ILS one, and it was doing the same thing. It looks extremely odd. I'm sorry if this has been answered before, I tried to look around more than a few times but I could not find any help on it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

2zrp0fr.png

f0rlae.png

I can't figure out what these fog/shadow things are when I'm in IMC. I was doing one of the landing challenges for the RV-6 on friday, the initial ILS one, and it was doing the same thing. It looks extremely odd. I'm sorry if this has been answered before, I tried to look around more than a few times but I could not find any help on it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

A hole in the overcast, I have seen that many times.

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

A hole in the overcast? Hmm! Would it make that kind of a shadow on the ground though? On the first picture you can see right through the overcast in the shape of the Maule through to the ground, is it supposed to be like this?

Looks like the haze layer is wrong.... Instead of seeing a shadow you see a hole in the haze. Never seen this before. It could also be you are seeing the layer that takes care of the shadow instead of the layer itself... Very odd. I suppose you restarted everything already to see if that helped? Or do you have this all the time?

Yup, I've restarted and defragged. I did the initial ILS landing challenge in the RV-6 on friday, and I flew around in Bethel this morning, and it was the same story. I did find it odd! I tried changing shadow settings and everything, but to no avail.

That is clearly a graphics anomaly and I'm rather certain it's the video card and not the game causing it. Could you let us know the video card and drivers you are using?

This is an old bug that was reported in beta. Go ahead and report it on the Steam forum so the devs see it.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

IMC is instrument meteorological conditions, meaning in IFR conditions, where you can't see much or very limited visibility/low ceilings of clouds. I'm currently using an EVGA 670 with 304.79 drivers that I had gotten from support to try and fix a sound problem, which I ended up just getting a sound card for.

Was it overclocked out of the box? And have you tried lowering the clocks (GPU and RAM) in Precision X to see if that eliminates the effect? A lot of the Kepler cards have been flaky to say the least, especially the ones that came factory overclocked.

Make sure to monitor the core frequency in-game through the OSD. GPU frequency above 1200MHz is where they start to experience graphic corruption or just crash to the desktop. My 670 is stable at 1267MHz in Heaven maxed out, but only 1215MHz in most games. This is pretty typical.

If you still experience the graphics anomaly at 1100MHz or less, then it's probably not the card that is causing the issue.

Yep, I got the FTW version. I'm running currently at 1175 MHZ. I have power target at 130%, gpu clock offset at +90 mhz, and memory clock offset at 295 mhz. I don't see too many anomalies and I actually have FSX running pretty awesome without any too many anomalies so I don't know what the problem is.

You can test it easily enough for artifacts, using EVGA's OC Scanner.

Have you made any tweaks to the Flight.cfg file? If so then maybe you've just discovered a bug or somehow enabled conflicting settings. If you have made changes try setting custom back to 0 an see if the problem goes away.

Looks to be like Hard Shadowing, have you got your shadow setting on Low ? if so try it on a higher setting ...another thing could be the antialiasing level.

I myself run on ATI cards and have found that I get a simlilar abnomally if I use 'Multi-Sample AA' , I have to use either 'Adaptive Multi-Sample AA' or 'Super Multi-Sample AA', not sure if you card offers the same, if it does, try changing the type of AA being used.

Ok, so I tried to post in the Microsoft Flight forum over at steam, but I need to wait to be authorized to post after making an account. I'll post it over there as soon as I can. I tried changing my AA settings but to no avail, it's the same situation. I also reset my overclock to factory settings and it's the same thing.. not too sure why it's happening! I tried shadows on low/medium/high/max and it didn't help either.. Hmm, funny situation.