Sign in to follow this  
JimmiHanz

FaceTrackNoIR with flight

Hey everyone,

I've been lurking these forums for a while, but there is something I've been struggling with that I need your help with. Before you just direct me to the thread from April on how to do Facetracking in Flight, that's not what I'm looking for.

Now that TrackIR is officially supported with Flight, one would think that would make it easier to use FaceTrackNoIR (a webcam based facetracking program that can emulate TrackIR) but I'm still having trouble getting Flight to recognize it. I can easily get the program to track my face (with the little yellow lines) but even with the 'Fake TrackIR' protocol running and the proper .dll files it still is not recognized.

Does anyone have any experience using this program with Microsoft Flight?

If not and you use the real TrackIR, where in the Flight menus do you select to use it as a controlling device? Just so I know where to check to see if Flight is recognizing it.

Thanks so much for your help! I'm loving the game in my ~20 hours I've spent with it so far... just bought Alaska for a fiver on the Steam sale so I can't wait to check it out!

I don't know anything about Facetracknoir, but what I can tell you is that there are no special options for enabling TrackIR. As long as the software is running before flight is started, you're good to go.

Now that TrackIR is officially supported with Flight, one would think that would make it easier to use FaceTrackNoIR (a webcam based facetracking program that can emulate TrackIR) but I'm still having trouble getting Flight to recognize it. I can easily get the program to track my face (with the little yellow lines) but even with the 'Fake TrackIR' protocol running and the proper .dll files it still is not recognized.

Does anyone have any experience using this program with Microsoft Flight?

No, but I do seem to recall Loki (MS support) on the Steam Forums helping somebody with a problem... If I remember correctly, there was something with the Flight title update that included TrackIR support conflicting with Freetrack. This may or may not be related to your issue, but it might be worth asking about it on the Steam Flight/Support forum.

If not and you use the real TrackIR, where in the Flight menus do you select to use it as a controlling device? Just so I know where to check to see if Flight is recognizing it.

It didn't require any selection, giving me a "plug and play" experience. I just hooked up the TrackIR to the computer, installed the software, and Flight automatically detected it and started using it.

Thanks for the quick responses guys. And thanks RoboRay, I'll check out the Steam forums to see if that helps. I'll let you know if I get it working! If I do, it could be useful for others considering how much cheaper it is than the real thing.

EDIT: Ok, so the solution is found in this thread, or directly on this site. It's called TrackIRFixer... I haven't tried it yet since I'm at work but I definitely will update to let you know how it goes. That's quite the memory you have there RoboRay, you led me right to it!

Thats right, TrackIR support was added later, so for you to use it you should have the update. Since you can't connect to Xbox Live with outdated versions (at least, thats how it works on the Xbox), you probably have this update already. You either must download and install the update, or you have to play offline. If it conflicts with FacetrackNoIR, then you probably have an issue. Maybe you need to reinstall Flight, and play offline without the update.

I have TrackIR myself, and as described above you don't need to install or configure anything, it just works when you start Flight (If you start the TrackIR software prior to starting any game that is).

I dont know anything about FacetrackNoIR, sorry.

EDIT: Ok, so the solution is found in this thread, or directly on this site. It's called TrackIRFixer... I haven't tried it yet since I'm at work but I definitely will update to let you know how it goes. That's quite the memory you have there RoboRay, you led me right to it!

Meh, it comes and goes. The years are starting to pile on. :(

Hopefully that will get it working for you!

Thanks for the quick responses guys. And thanks RoboRay, I'll check out the Steam forums to see if that helps. I'll let you know if I get it working! If I do, it could be useful for others considering how much cheaper it is than the real thing.

I know for a fact that FreeTrack only works with the TrackIRFixer program. I'm not sure you should be asking "official" sources about TrackIRFixer because it's a hack that overrides the encryption that is now used by TrackIR. The encryption was put in to prevent other software like FreeTrack and FaceTrackNoIR from hitching a ride on the TrackIR system. Again, I know for a fact that you can make a usable 6D head tracking system for well under $50 us by using a web cam and some IR LEDS. From what I've read the FaceTrackNoIR is very slow and it's recommended that you run it as a client server using another computer.

I know this because I helped a friend build a FreeTrack system he uses in FSX. He was a bit concerned with soldering the parts together and asked me to help him out. I works well once tweaked and I really didn't see much difference between it and the TrackIR system I had used in the past. Getting it to work in Flight was more effort but once I figured it out it works fine in that.

My friend started out with the intent to use FaceTrackNoIR but we just couldn't get it to turn on the web cam. It may be because he has Windows 7 on both his desktop and laptop but we tried 3 different web cams and couldn't get it working.

As far as his cost for the FreeTrack, it was $40 for a PS3 Eye and $9 for the IR LEDs and resistors. We used an old cell phone charger to power it and wire from an old IDE disk drive cable to wire up everything. I had to supply the solder and soldering iron but he also supplied the beer so I felt we were even. If you have a suitable web cam and a few old TV remotes you can get away it cheaper. His web cam wasn't up to the FPS challange so he went for the PS3 Eye which is one of the recommended cams for the project.

As far as his cost for the FreeTrack, it was $40 for a PS3 Eye and $9 for the IR LEDs and resistors. We used an old cell phone charger to power it and wire from an old IDE disk drive cable to wire up everything. I had to supply the solder and soldering iron but he also supplied the beer so I felt we were even.

What is the time requirement for assembly and adjustment?

What is the time requirement for assembly and adjustment?

Well it depends on how much experimenting you do. We ended up building 4 different headset configurations before we settled on a "clip" style that was based on the TrackIR "Pro Clip" so, I should add that he spent another dollar buying a clip on book light that we used the clip from. I'd guess that if you had all the parts gathered and a good design that it only takes a couple of hours to put it together.

Adjusting is another story. The docs are a little sparse as well as understanding of the terms and parameters concerned. You have to measure everything from the distance between the LEDS to the offset to the middle of your neck. Cam placement is also important. We fiddled with it for another couple of hours to get it working and he claims he is still playing around with getting the best settings. The biggest problem was getting the viewpoint not to move in the X,Y,Z when turning your head. Last I tried it it was still raising the view point up when looking down and moving it to the right when you looked left. All of that can be adjusted out but it takes time.

If you opt for just a look left, right, up and down version you only need 1 LED and there is no tweaking needed. We simulated a single LED version by taping over 2 of the LEDs and I like it better but it doesn't allow you to slide sideways which is nice for planes like the Stearman. If I were to build one for myself I would most likely opt for the single LED.

Another thing I should mention. You only need the TrackIRFixer if you are using it with a program that only supports TrackIR. It uses SimConnect to connect to FSX and That Dawson program, FSUIP, sorry can't remember the name, if you want to use it in FS9. I think Flight supports mouse look so you would only need to have a single LED version and wouldn't have to worry about TrackIRFixer to use it directly in Flight if you only wanted to look L,R,U and D or to use it in other mouse look games. We tried it in Far Cry using the single LED just for kicks but found the mouse better.

Thanks for all the info, very helpful. I looked into the PSeye build before, but I thought I would try this with a cheap webcam first. I haven't had any problems getting detected by the program, just Flight itself.

I think Flight supports mouse look so you would only need to have a single LED version and wouldn't have to worry about TrackIRFixer to use it directly in Flight if you only wanted to look L,R,U and D or to use it in other mouse look games. We tried it in Far Cry using the single LED just for kicks but found the mouse better.

I want to address this really quickly: all I really want is left, right, up, and down, and I actually tried FaceTrackNoIR's mouselook setting, but I couldn't get it working with Flight either... the cursor just kind of spazzed out in the middle of the screen no matter what I did with my face. Is that just a sensitivity/crappy webcam problem or something that could actually be fixed?

Well it depends on how much experimenting you do. We ended up building 4 different headset configurations before we settled on a "clip" style that was based on the TrackIR "Pro Clip" so, I should add that he spent another dollar buying a clip on book light that we used the clip from. I'd guess that if you had all the parts gathered and a good design that it only takes a couple of hours to put it together.

Adjusting is another story. The docs are a little sparse as well as understanding of the terms and parameters concerned. You have to measure everything from the distance between the LEDS to the offset to the middle of your neck. Cam placement is also important. We fiddled with it for another couple of hours to get it working and he claims he is still playing around with getting the best settings. The biggest problem was getting the viewpoint not to move in the X,Y,Z when turning your head. Last I tried it it was still raising the view point up when looking down and moving it to the right when you looked left. All of that can be adjusted out but it takes time.

So, minimum two hours of time (if you start with a known-good design, plus any adjustment time, as needed)+$50'ish in parts/tools (often less, depending on what you have already available as freebies).

Honestly, unless I was also doing this as a hobby/project, I'd spend the extra $50 or so on a non-hassle/no-effort-required TIR 4 for myself. I've come to value my time a lot more highly than I use to do. And time spent building/tweaking a tool for a hobby is time taken from that hobby.

It does sound like a really fun project to do though, if you're into that kind of stuff. I actually do some things like that myself for fun... Just not as much as I used to.

:p0128:

With Flight, I wanted instant-gratification without having to worry about getting things working right. :P

So, minimum two hours of time (if you start with a known-good design, plus any adjustment time, as needed)+$50'ish in parts/tools (often less, depending on what you have already available as freebies).

Honestly, unless I was also doing this as a hobby/project, I'd spend the extra $50 or so on a non-hassle/no-effort-required TIR 4 for myself. I've come to value my time a lot more highly than I use to do. And time spent building/tweaking a tool for a hobby is time taken from that hobby.

I can't argue with that and if I was really into wanting a head tracker I would most likely do the same. There is nothing like using a proven technology with large support base to help you out. The FreeTrack has a forum but it's mostly questions and few answers. It's also not specific to a sim type like here were you can easily get help.

It does sound like a really fun project to do though, if you're into that kind of stuff. I actually do some things like that myself for fun... Just not as much as I used to.

:p0128:

That's pretty much what this was. Just an afternoon project that seemed kind of cool to create. I don't think he even uses it that much except for when he flies an open cockpit plane so that he can look to the side past the engine.

With Flight, I wanted instant-gratification without having to worry about getting things working right. :P

Yup, my new mantra is, "No more tweaking, no more tweaking." I love that I can just sit down and have an interesting flight for 30mins and not worry about shudders and FPS ruining the whole thing. Although I still like FSX for my A2A Cub, S300 heli and the traffic on the streets.

What I like most about Flight is being able to take Off for someplace, and actually be able to get there 100% of the time.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

UPDATE

It works!! It will definitely need some tweaking, but the basic idea is there! The main problem seems to be that when I look down the camera pans up. I'm sure that jiggering around with it will fix that though.

The first time I booted it up with the TrackIRFixer, Flight told me that I had a corrupted install and booted me to my desktop, but it worked like a charm the second time. Be warned that this involves disabling the security GFWL has set up to prevent you from doing this, so unexpected results might occur and your mileage may vary. I haven't had the chance to do anything but confirm that it works, so there may be issues I haven't run into yet. This was done using the beta (1.60) version of FaceTrackNoIR and the most recent version of TrackIRFixer.

For the cost of a $10 webcam this is an awesome alternative to TrackIR.

Dear Flight-pilots,

I am happy to announce that FaceTrackNoIR v170 was released yesterday. It has some great new features (check out the website).

The most 'urgent' one for Flight-users: it supports MS Flight 'out of the box'! The new game-protocol named "FreeTrack 2.0" supports all TrackIR-enabled games, so there is no fixing or anything required any more.

You are welcome to try the new version, please visit the website.

Kind Regards,

Wim Vriend

FaceTrackNoIR Team

Holland.

:p0502: