Sign in to follow this  
Ben Cap

Windows 8 and FSX

thats exactly how the've done it!!!

One click and you have your beloved WIN7 desktop for the rest of the day!

You seem to have missed the point.

A Windows 7 desktop has a Start Menu, not the ability to switch to a Metro Start Menu.

Ian.

What bothers me is that Microsoft is FORCING us to use a Metro as a start up. I do not want that.

EDIT: And this is what I said as my 8000th post! LOL

What bothers me is that Microsoft is FORCING us to use a Metro as a start up. I do not want that.

EDIT: And this is what I said as my 8000th post! LOL

There are ways around that.. I've documented a few.. not that hard to implement, if you really want to go straight to the desktop, though for me I like seeing the latest news/info tiles on the start screen at first start.

The other issue with the Metro interface is that it doesn't appear to be able to handle multiple screens. When you switch to Metro, it leaves the secondary screen(s) on the standard desktop. Or maybe I'm missing something.

Yeah thats one shortcoming of Win 8 by MS as of RTM anyway. Metro does handle multiple, at least in part though (but not like we want). I run 3 screens and lets say you want to get the metro screen from screen #1 (left to right 1,2,3).. you move your cursor to the lower left of #1 then you can access metro land from that screen, while doing your desktop work on #2, while at the same time you could open a Metro style app and simply drag it over to screen #3.. so in this instance you can move around in metro in #1, still see your desktop in #2 and then have another metro app open on #3.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

Yes, workarounds are fine, but the point is the principle. They force you from the beginning to use it.

Not to mention that Microsoft in Windows 8 logs all your installs.

I'm not buying into this. I'll wait until Microsoft releases a PC OS and not a tablet OS.

Not to mention that Microsoft in Windows 8 logs all your installs.

I'm not buying into this. I'll wait until Microsoft releases a PC OS and not a tablet OS.

In case anyone is unaware, the SmartScreen filtering can be turned off (to avoid possible privacy/security information being sent)..

Via Action Center -> Change Windows SmartScreen settings

Then secondly turn off annoying Action Center warnings by clicking Turn off messages about Windows SmartScreen in the same window.

The downside is there is no checking for unauthorized apps before you click install, but the plus is, as long as you still have UAC on it will prompt if it needs permissions to install.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

I'll wait until Microsoft releases a PC OS and not a tablet OS.

That's the issue, computer sails are falling and tablet sails are soaring. Will Win9 even work on a PC? Probably, but its a sign of things to come.

Is anyone in this thread running Windows 8 x64 RTM with an orbx addon that has an objectflow dll entry in the dll.xml file?

I've discovered a bug in Windows 8 that causes a crash to desktop on switching windows (in d3d9.dll). I've confirmed it to be Windows 8 related and not some other cause.

Ben Cap: Everything you said was subjective. How about frame rates? That is an objective comparsion. Is there a noticable improvement in frame rates. You said it appears to be smoother. Well, that would be the frame rates. Tell us about your how you have FSX ;where the slidders are set; which aircraft you are using when obtain frame rates, please. In case you may not know how to find your frame rates, use Shift+Z . They will appear on the upper left portion of your monitor.

Good luck,

ElektroShok

Windows 7 Pro 64bit

EVGA 757 X58 M/B

Intel i7 980X 6 core processor

12 gigs ram 1600 mhz

EVGA GTX 480 x2 in SLI

2 x Alienware 3D monitors

Logitech G940 Controllers

Bose Companion 5 Sound System

For the real comparison it must be made sure the same addons are installed and configured. Only SUCH comparison can be measured. And smoothness is non-measurable. It is only subjective.

Hi everyone,

I no longer have Win8 on my system but I can confidently say that performance wasn't *worse*.

I have WIN8 since several weeks and there's definitely no difference.

Not better, not worser concerning FSX.

If someone is scared of a new system, he should stay with WIN7.

If someone like some new features and a little faster OS, then he could change.

Simple is that!

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have WIN8 since several weeks and there's definitely no difference.

Not better, not worser concerning FSX.

One thing is fore sure... Win8 "sips" memory usage. It literally was under 1GB for me when I used it. Win7 is usually around 1.5-2GB. (this is also with all my programs installed etc)

Yeah so far haven't seen a single reason to get Windows 8 while I have found lack of start menu and plenty of other reasons not to get Windows 8. Instead of getting new touch screen phone and Windows 8 I rather keep my old style cheap Nokia that doesn't even support Wifi and Windows 7.