Sign in to follow this  
Ben Cap

Windows 8 and FSX

I am not a computer guru like many of you. Don't mean offence. I just bought a Medion Akoya
Intel Core l3-3220
Nvidia GeForce GT 620
4Gb Ram
500GB
came with a wide screen I could not use;FSX didn't fill the screen and had two thick edges at each side.So resorted to my old screen.

I have been trying to gain full control of my files and folder in order to install FST Scenery but windows won't let me...Considers the file dangerous for computer. I don't get administrative priviledges,(All I get is a General tab when I Right click the file; I have changed permissions, disable UAC and nothing helps, Can anyone assist?

Berlopez
I let FSX \Gold Install by default into Program\Files " Is this a correct location for FSX or should I move it reinstall to C;\ Like in win 7?

I let FSX \Gold Install by default into Program\Files " Is this a correct location for FSX or should I move it reinstall to C;\ Like in win 7?

Never install any program such as FSX in the default path. That is a path that will only lead to utter frustration!

Always use a simple, non-overly protected path such as C:\FSX...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

came with a wide screen I could not use;FSX didn't fill the screen and had two thick edges at each side.So resorted to my old screen.

Berlopez

Run FSX and then either in the Opening screen\ Settings\Customise\Display\Graphics screen,

or Menu bar\Options\Settings\Display\Graphics window select the Full screen resolution: that fits your new monitor.

Ng4gic and Ncooper: Thanks for your replies, I will keep my old monitor running, I intend to save a copy of this install in a external HD for the sake of my addons, Then reinstall it to C:\ move my freeware add ons planes and sceneries, Then reinstall my pay ware ,Because of the reg. keys onto to it...Wish I had known better before I started....

Thanks

Berlopez

I use fsx on windows 8 and i have noticed that whenever i switch from windowed mode to fullscreen the quality of the game gets alot worse... i don't know if this is how the game reacts to fullscreen mode or if it's only a windows 8 problem.

It's not a Windows 8 problem, as it doesn't happen to me.

However, I prefer to have cockpit tool tips working and fly in full screen,
so I use pseudo full screen by Maarten Boelens which allows this.
I suspect that this will also allow you to use full screen mode without
performance loss.

It can be found by searching the Avsim file library for
pseudo_full_screen.zip.

The installation is a little complex but worth the result.

Regards,
Nick

I sure could use your help. I'm having major issues with FSX and Windows 8. I can install the program, however, once I try to run the application a window pops up asking me if I want to change the screen resolution, since the minimum resolution is 1024 x 768. My screen resolution is 1440 x 900 so much higher.

If I try to answer with "yes" or "no" nothing happens, the program doesn't load or go anywhere.

I have also tried to load this program by right clicking on the FSX.EXE application and running it in compatibility mode, no luck.

Please help.

Jim

FSX worked great on windows 7, my new laptop came with windows 8, now FSX crashes every time I use it, usually after about 20 minutes of usage, what's up with that?

FSX worked great on windows 7, my new laptop came with windows 8, now FSX crashes every time I use it, usually after about 20 minutes of usage, what's up with that?

Sounds like the UIAutomationcore.dll error. Could you please paste the error log from Event Viewer here?

Brandon Filer

The uiautomationcore.dll is part of Microsoft dotnet.  The Vista version only fixes menu crashes and I really don't think it fixes that and think instead it's a memory or too high settings issue.  I do not have the uiautomationcore.dll in my main fsx directory and have tried several times to replicate the FSX menu crashes by repeatedly hitting the menu.  FSX continues to work great.  I think people need to do the Microsoft fix for the Heap Limitation as FSX usually has a lot of programs open when running.  The heap limitation fix will help reduce CTD's when you have FSX, a weather program, maybe an ATC program, and some utilities (like Accu-Feel/Accu-Sim, EZdok, etc.) running in the background or trying to enhance your fsx experiences/immersion.  Lower, responsible FSX and display driver settings help too.

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

hi Ben do you have sbuilderx 313 as im having problems with it it loads ok in os but i get a error message saying  fsxsdk/sdk/tools/shp2 vec.exe is denied i have tracked that to scasm in sbuilderx313 it is not a 64 bit programme  am i right here bor is it somethingb else thanks for your time as i am very new to all this it is a new hobby for me

Answered in your new thread on the subject.

Regards,

Nick

Hi, I am not sure if this thread is still "live", but it would be greatly helpful if you could give a quick list of ALL the add-ons you are now running on Win8.

Many thanks!

Kermit.....

I'm assuming you would like to know because you're thinking of purchasing, or, upgrading to Win 8.  I've had Win 8 over a year now, and the only problem I had at first, was my yoke/joystick and rudder pedals (CH Products) disconnected after a few minutes.  But, after I configured them in FSUIPC, have never had a disconnect.

I'm running the following:

FSX/ACC

FSUIPC

FSINN/FSCopilot

Active Sky Next

FS Commander 9.5

StevesDX10SceneryFixer

TrackIR 5 Pro

ORBX Scenery.....Global, Vector, different regions and a few of airports

FS Global 2010

UTX USA

UTX Alaska

RealAir Duke B60

A lot of Carenado A/C

A2A 172

Cera-Sim UH60

Dodo 206

Alabeo Cessna 195 and the R66

Instant Scenery 3

Instant Object Studio

ADE

SBuilderX

And a few others I haven't re-installed, but have had them installed at one time.  I have had no problems with anything...Knock on wood.

Rod

Rod Beck