Sign in to follow this  
LHookins

Do I still buy TrackIR after the demise of Flight?

dburne,

I use the default zoom. I might be missing something, but it has worked well with me. And, as Hook has observed, just moving your head seems to recenter the image as opposed to hitting the reset. I don't know if that is something Track IR5 improved as I had not used any of the previous ones because I had not tried it until a few months ago. Boy did I miss out!

John

John Wingold

Thanks for the feedback John.

Yeah I have always felt the default zoom works good for me as well, and I just make my adjustment with the Track IR when I first get into cockpit. I pretty much know where I want to be sitting when I center it the first time. My chair has rollers and I am on a hardwood floor, so easy to move forward and back should I wish.

I have yet to find myself needing to recenter in Flight though, and have flown some very long jobs with it. Flight does a really good job with Track IR, better than FSX really but FSX used simconnect, rather than Natural Point's proprietary api, which Fight uses.

I wanted to see if I maybe I was missing out on something. I might play around with the zoom a little just to see what difference it makes for me.

I am so glad the Flight Team, got this implemented along with the toe brakes before development ceased. Helps insure I will continue to run Flight for as long as I can.

I have two serious problems with the default zoom...

1. Fish-eye distortion from trying to squeeze a huge field of view into the narrow field of view offered by a single monitor. I like my circles to look like circles, not ovals, thank you. That distortion makes me a little queasy, when panning around.

2. By fitting more scenery into the field of view, you make everything in it smaller. Take the mountains, for instance... What mountains? Oh, you mean those tiny bumps in the distance? I know what the mountains in Hawaii look like, and while shield volcanoes aren't that impressive compared to the peaks of Alaska, they look a heck of a lot more impressive than they do in Flight's default zoom. Even up close, mountains look like mole hills in Flight's highly wide-angle default zoom.

I run 1.0. While it's not quite the normal perspective, it's close enough to it that objects look something like their actual sizes for the distance between you, objects have their correct shapes (or close enough that I can't see the distortion, anyway) and you still have a bit of peripheral vision.

I run 1.0. While it's not quite the normal perspective, it's close enough to it that objects look something like their actual sizes for the distance between you, objects have their correct shapes (or close enough that I can't see the distortion, anyway) and you still have a bit of peripheral vision.

Thanks, I will give that a try and see how the difference looks for me.

Umm, would you mind reminding me how to change the default zoom?

Thanks,

Wow, I go away and fly for a while and the topic takes off.

The main advantage to using a higher zoom is that it makes the scenery larger. The effect can be quite dramatic.

When I was writing about setting the eyepoint on the Maule, I talked a lot about the higher zoom levels, and figured having TrackIR would help a lot. Oh, does it ever! :D

I flew an hour and a half in FSX tonight in the Goose. While my previous zoom level was 0.7, with the wider screen the instruments and such were just too far away. I upped the zoom to FSX 1.0 and it was great... looked like what I had before with 0.7. Of course I didn't have widescreen set in the config file before, which may make a big difference in the actual zoom.

The view out the Goose's windows isn't much compared to the planes in Flight. I only had to look 90 degrees left or right (that's all the view you have), and I had no problems using the default profile. No sore neck, no motion sickness, and my neck feels more flexible after the filghts. Imagine that! :D

Oh yes... in FSX I didn't have to recenter at all. Just move my head to where the center should be and it recenters itself properly. Not bad considering at one point framerates were dropping from a fairly solid 30 over open country to around 12 over a city, but I'd gone to another window for a moment just before that and I suspect that had an effect. Word Not Allowed's tweaks are pretty good. And TrackIR is quite robust.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Ok so I went in and changed the cockpit default zoom to .8 from .6

Loaded up a job in the Maule, which I am currently flying, and at first I thought - man I do not see any difference at all. Then I hit the eyepoint reset, and there she zoomed. Apparently Flight remembered my zoom I was at of .6 and started the flight with that, did not realize I needed to hit the eyepoint reset.

Looking much better to me, once I am done with this job, before I do another I am going to try 1.0 and see how that looks.

Thanks,

When I went in to make adjustments, my camera setting was already 1.0.. I had not modified it. Wonder why???

John Wingold

When I went in to make adjustments, my camera setting was already 1.0.. I had not modified it. Wonder why???

Are you sure you are looking under the correct camera definition category?

Should be the second one for the cockpit, camera.definition.002

Yes, I was careful to go to the cockpit camera settings and that is what I found. I made no change as I have never had a problem with it anyway. I used the link found above to make sure I was in the right place.

John Wingold

Ok so I think I have settled in now, with a default zoom of 1.0

It definitely looks better, I can see the cockpit dials much better and the hills/mountains in the scenery more realistic.

Plus I guess 1.0 just sounds right lol.

Can't believe I am just now doing this.

The only way the defaultzoom parameter can be changed is by manually editing the cameras.cfg file. None of the in-game options change that setting. If it wasn't on 0.6, somebody has been in the file.

Ok so I think I have settled in now, with a default zoom of 1.0

It definitely looks better, I can see the cockpit dials much better and the hills/mountains in the scenery more realistic.

Plus I guess 1.0 just sounds right lol.

Can't believe I am just now doing this.

LOL, well, TrackIR does make "lower" zooms (higher values) more usable, since you can just glance around to make up for the lost peripheral vision. ^_^