Sign in to follow this  
LHookins

Do I still buy TrackIR after the demise of Flight?

Initially I felt a subconcious need to keep my head fixed straight ahead, as if looking around would somehow "uncenter" the 12 o'clock view.

That's how I was before I started using high enough zoom that I had to pan around a lot. It helped that at high zoom there weren't any horizontal lines visible.

So does 'Hook' mean you were a Navy type, or maybe a pirate?

It's part of my real name, LHookins. It's a nickname I've had since high school. Somewhere around here I've got a coffee mug with the Army Pentagon logo and "Hook" that my coworkers there gave me.

I think about any current name brand led/lcd will be a major step up for you over an older crt monitor.

Heh! Keep in mind that this was a professional grade 21" Viewsonic CRT. I'll probably hate going to an LED monitor until I get used to it.

If panning has a negative effect on performance for you in FSX there is something else wrong.

Probably has something to do with setting autogen to max and flying low.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I got my trackir just before flight went down and I love it. It's cool to lean out over the side of the stearman on final, really improved my landings with that thing. Very glad I got it regardless.

Any comments on the Viewsonic VX2453-mh LED?

DAYUM! This new monitor is NICE!

$199 at MicroCenter plus a couple hours on the road to get there. If they'd carried TrackIR, I'd have gotten that too, and right now, I wish they had.

It'll take me a while to get it adjusted properly, but Flight looks really good. The display is probably too bright, but I'm not seeing green-black trees like I was on the old monitor. Dunno about dynamic contrast yet, but it does darken the screen. With standard gamma tests, changing the brightness does not change the black level, so I'll have to do some research.

I've got loads of desk space now too... the monitor that died wasn't very deep, but the replacement one was. An older NEC. The monitor viewing area is as tall as the 21" CRT, but it's wider.

The 1900x1080 makes everything in the cockpit readable, but with scenery at max I'm getting lowered framerates when the view pans. It's bad when I first look out to the side, but it eventually settles down nicely. Well, it's something I can live with, and I still have a lot of experimenting to do.

Really nice view to the sides with the wider display.

The downside is that my old good monitor died. The bright side is that I have a new modern monitor that's very good. Overall I came out ahead.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Since setting up Eyefinity I always use it for Flight. In fact I exclusively use it for flight because it looks and performs magnificently. To enhance my experience further my next purchase was going to be trackir, then the news broke and I slumped into depression. What I did was instantly buy the Cub, fired up Flight and instantly had one of those Flight inspired WOW moments. The 180+ degree vista of Alaska that greeted me through the cockpit was amazing and my next step is to get TrackIR because then I will be surrounded by whatever plane I am flying.

If I look back at how long 'we' spent in Hawaii which I still haven't fully covered and how big Alaska is then I still have a few hours of happy flying to experience.

I still get a kick from taking Flight for a spin and until I lose that feeling or something as good or better turns up I shall continue to enjoy my fix.

So personally I'm getting it... What have I got to lose?

Since setting up Eyefinity I always use it for Flight. In fact I exclusively use it for flight because it looks and performs magnificently. To enhance my experience further my next purchase was going to be trackir, then the news broke and I slumped into depression. What I did was instantly buy the Cub, fired up Flight and instantly had one of those Flight inspired WOW moments. The 180+ degree vista of Alaska that greeted me through the cockpit was amazing and my next step is to get TrackIR because then I will be surrounded by whatever plane I am flying.

If I look back at how long 'we' spent in Hawaii which I still haven't fully covered and how big Alaska is then I still have a few hours of happy flying to experience.

I still get a kick from taking Flight for a spin and until I lose that feeling or something as good or better turns up I shall continue to enjoy my fix.

So personally I'm getting it... What have I got to lose?

Could an owner of the pro clip thingy be so kind as to help me out with some measurements? I attached an image to the post. I'd like to know the dimension of the part that goes over the band of the headphone. Mine is 32mm wide and 8mm thick, and I don't think it'll fit.

Hello

I have just taken mine off and measured it for you.,

The length of the cut out is 35mm and at its maximum width (it has two positions) it is 10mm wide so you should be fine. the cut out has a strip of foam rubber each side to take up any slack

Thanks! That's just about perfect :) Hope I can find one at a reasonable price

Hello

I managed for years with the reflective metal clip, the trackclip pro is better but if you can only get the metal cap clip then that works fine.

The Trackclip pro needs some care as it is very delicate, mine is wrapped in self amalgamating rubber electrical tape now on the hinges as they will break at the slightest knock.

Argh that's not good, especially as that thing is €30 alone...

But I think the leds will will pick up a little better in lit conditions and I don't wear a cap (it won't clip on to the aviator helmet <- B) ) so I'm going to have to be careful with it I guess. Thanks for the input ofcourse!

Hello

Don't say I did not warn you, get some tape ready.

The Trackclip pro needs some care as it is very delicate, mine is wrapped in self amalgamating rubber electrical tape now on the hinges as they will break at the slightest knock.

Hm... I have mine strapped to my headphone for years now and that headphone gets thrown on the table by everyone as if it's a piece of paper: the clip is still perfectly fine...! Of course it's always better to be careful with precious hardware: I am not advicing to abuse the device... :wink: But I just wanted to say that it's not THAT delicate imho.

Also, the TrackIR does not work when there is a very strong lightsource in its field of view. So you should not have a window behind your back for example. Or you should draw the curtains ^_^ .

Yes, TrackIR is absolutely worth it if you like flight simulators. Mine is also taped in, but I bought it broken already at a discount, at least I don't have to suffer the stress of breaking it myself :lol:

A tip I once read somewhere about bright lights is to put a piece of developed film (the stuff you put in a non digital camera) as a filter in front of the camera. It works well for me, only the brightest sunlight interferes with it's operation now.

I just bought mine about 10 days ago (mainly for Flight) after doing some research. I ordered it from HS (not sure I can post names of companies here so using acronyms), and received it 2 days later. Had some issues with them not providing the proper shipping costs, but other than that, great service, packing as well.

When I started using it in flight, I went bonkers... what a difference it makes! It's so different as a matter of fact, that I had to get used to land again since my line of sight (not always centered since I enjoy looking around so much ;) ) isn't always centered anymore... so I had to get used to the *plane* position relative to ground instead of just using my LOS.

After a few hours, it was as if I hadn't lived TrackIR ever :) ... VERY easy to get used to (in my case anyhow).

As for movements used to control the camera... I use 2 settings... one for lazy flying where I barely move my head to get the camera 90 degrees left/right/up/down -- and I **do mean** barely moving it.. less than 5 degrees I'd say. On this setup, I have NO dead zone so it's hard to recenter properly although you get used to it by using the cockpit position to get a feel of center.

The other setting is more "reasonable" whereas there's a deadzone (although a small one) but its "notch" tells me I'm centered... and moving right/left/down/up has me move my head 7-12 degrees (rough approximation since I'm not sure how to measure this). Point is that both are comfortable and this guy (me) is a happy camper loving his new precision instrument! :wub:

When I heard that Flight development was cancelled, I felt cheated in a way since I had just purchased TrackIR5 & all the addons (except for 3 planes) including the latest Carbon (steam on special at 11.24$). BUT, I KNOW that this wondeful controller (TrackIR5) will last me for years as I've read that people have had theirs for 5-6 years (version 3 I believe) and they're STILL using it!

I've also purchased FSX Gold (took me a week on the phone with the MS Live team to figure out issues they were NOT able to resolve... had to create a brand new account, buy GOLD from that account then download it). Account does not seem to be an issue since my FSX doesn't connect to GFWL anyways. So, I bought it and it also works well with TrackIR5 although the same profile doesn't work exactly in Flight & FSX so I have one for each.

Profiles are easy to setup & save. What I love about this item though is that it can really be as sensitive as you want it to be. I had one Sooo sensitive, that whenever I was talking, the screen was jumping all over lol :P -- not using that profile now, but it CAN be that sensitive and let's not forget, very precise.. even over long periods of usage.

So, if you're wondering it it's worth it, I'd say yes if you plan on playing other sims that will support it. (FSX, Wings of Prey, DCH, xPlane etc). At first I thought I'd return it when flight was cancelled, but decided to keep it anyways it's that good and I plan on keeping using Flight, FSX and any next decent sims that (hopefully) will come our way -- which makes me wonder if Silent Hunter 4 supports it & F1 2010 which I'm going to test after this post.

/cheers

Just placed my order, will have it in 2 days.

This thing better be everything people say it is, or if it's not, for everyone who recommended it, I'll... I'll hunt you down and shave your cat! I mean it!

Hook - who keeps forgetting to do his neck exercises

Larry Hookins