Sign in to follow this  
3-2-1-Now

Is this legit?

This whole subject disgusts me no end. Yes, under the license, they can get away with it.

Not if they use screenshots and video from other products they can't. In the UK you'd be violating the Sale of Goods Act.

It certainly seems to be a unique product. I don't know of any other flight simulator that includes a talking Cessna :lol:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

One big scam. I don't waste my time looking at it any more, I find it vile. However, I seem to remember initially definitely seeing Orbx scenery.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

All very odd, if the developers of Flight Gear don't get any benefit out of virtual whatsitsname, why don't they make a nice package of Flight Gear? Who pays for their PC's?

FlightGear sells a full 4 DVD set for $49.99.

This whole subject disgusts me no end. Yes, under the license, they can get away with it. Morally, it's just thievery. Not to mention that I have a real problem with AVSIM being used under false pretenses. I think we need to start a community movement to make it known everywhere about the sites that are doing this, enlist cooperative initiatives between all sim sights, and do all we can do to stomp this out, including protesting to host systems, FaceBook, Google, whoever. The first thing we can do is find every site that is attempting to rip off users, and post those sites on a "wall of shame".

I agree entirely-- theft it is, regardless of how the law dresses it.

All very odd, if the developers of Flight Gear don't get any benefit out of virtual whatsitsname, why don't they make a nice package of Flight Gear? Who pays for their PC's?

They pay for them themselves. The whole point of open source material is that it's developed free and distributed free and can be modified by the user both to suit his own purpose and as a further development.

Some developers like to make a little money, usually by charging for a burn-to-disk service, but open-source material is just that: open in all ways to everyone, and always available for free.

D

-- theft it is, regardless of how the law dresses it.

How can it be theft to use something that's offered to everyone free of charge?

Some of the pictures definitely have REX clouds! Is that not breaking the law?

RE: Open source - isn't that done by fully paid programmers on their lunch breaks? :lol:

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Copy/Paste from the top of the Flight Gear page:.

As many people will be aware, there is a (self described) "new" flight simulator product that is being widely and actively marketed at the moment under various names - Flight Pro Sim, Pro Flight Simulator, etc. These "new" simulators are simply a rebranding of the FlightGear open-source flight simulator. However, the marketing tactics of the Flight Pro Sim guys have caused more than a bit of confusion with end users. To help provide some clarity and answer some common questions, we (the core FlightGear development team) felt it was appropriate to make a statement, and provide a FAQ.

FlightGear is an open-source flight simulator that was created in 1996. It is released under the GNU General Public License v2, and as such, it is free to use, modify and distribute with few restrictions. It has been developed with the collaboration of a large number of individuals over the last 14+ years. The complete FlightGear application and source code can be always downloaded for free from http://www.flightgear.org.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Not if they use screenshots and video from other products they can't. In the UK you'd be violating the Sale of Goods Act.

In the UK licenced software isn't a "goods" in terms of the Sale of Goods Act so you wouldn't be.

In the UK licenced software isn't a "goods" in terms of the Sale of Goods Act so you wouldn't be.

Does the UK offer any protection for false advertising when it comes to computer software? I know in the States people wouldn't get away with selling software using images from another product. But I also know most of these sites are overseas and can't be touched by the law, as they are in places where the law is lax or nonexistent.

John

The UK, of course, provides sanctions aqainst false advertising of any kind, but not by the Sale of Goods Act

I'd be willing to do this with a little guidance. I'm home most of the day would give me something to do. I just wouldn't know where to start.

Sorry to take this off track but I saw your information and laughed because you are doing what I want to do to get out of flying. Hopefully in a year I should be a cattleman.

The UK, of course, provides sanctions aqainst false advertising of any kind, but not by the Sale of Goods Act

Ah, I didn't realise that software wasn't covered. You learn something every day!

Ah, I didn't realise that software wasn't covered. You learn something every day!

Even if it was covered the Sale of Goods Act still wouldn't help - it doesn't deal with advertising: false or otherwise.

Even if it was covered the Sale of Goods Act still wouldn't help - it doesn't deal with advertising: false or otherwise.

But the goods need to be 'as described', and that would be as described on the advert, no?