Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

N1G

WideScreen Zoom Level

Hi,

I was just curious what you guys are using for a zoom level if using widescreen. I find myself setting it at about 78 or so then using EZCA to adjust inside the cockpit.

It is really hard to tell distance while looking outside even if you know the approximate distance to say an airport. Just curious what some of you are using.

Bob

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Personally, I run about 96% or so. I like distances and perspective outside the airplane to be as close to true as possible.

I've seen 0.70 referred to as a realistic setting compared to real life.

I know that in the ngx, with that setting I can see both the hgs and the nd at the same time clearly, something you should be able to do in the real plane. Any closer and parts of the front panel aren't visible anymore.

I'm also using ezdok to position the eye point where I need it too, so that probably helps.

I am running a 42" @ 1920 x 1080. It is just difficult for me to determine what is the right perspective. Having it too low gives you the fishbowl effect sort of, but from 75 and upward is good. I flew for awhile at about 90. Although a little harder to get used to from the 78 it really comes down to preference do some degree I believe. If there was some proven calculation I sure would like to know. I assumed that zoom level 1.00 was something the developers came up with originally but not sure.

Bob

I use 70 (with widescreen at true). Higher may be a bit better (more realistic) but I like the extra peripheral vision and the sharper textures 70 give me. The more you zoom in, the more you see autogen popup and textures being low res or blurry.

I used to play with up to 40 a few months ago: it gives you razorsharp textures, but the fish eye effect was too much in the end, even though you do get used to it. But 70 is fine with me: the gauges are still (almost) round when looking around (they are very oval at 40!) and 70 is also less heavy on the system (40 results in a LOT more things having to be put on screen!).

I use 70 (with widescreen at true). Higher may be a bit better (more realistic) but I like the extra peripheral vision and the sharper textures 70 give me. The more you zoom in, the more you see autogen popup and textures being low res or blurry.

I used to play with up to 40 a few months ago: it gives you razorsharp textures, but the fish eye effect was too much in the end, even though you do get used to it. But 70 is fine with me: the gauges are still (almost) round when looking around (they are very oval at 40!) and 70 is also less heavy on the system (40 results in a LOT more things having to be put on screen!).

I too believe in the 70's is the best. I have been @ 78 for a long time and went up into the 90's. It looks OK but hard to get used to. I may go back.

Bob

I use .60 personally. After sitting in the cockpit of a real NG, I can confidently say that WideViewAspect=True + .60 Zoom is the most realistic viewpoint.

Ben, with a 23 inch screen at 1680x1050 I can't really read the numbers on my pfd / nd using 0.60.

How big is your screen?

Bob, check out this great video on the subject

Now that gentleman can talk and certainly has the mathematics and technical understanding down pat. Hmmm 1.0 zoom. Interesting, but not sure if I can fly that way.

I will give it a try.

Bob

I use .60 personally. After sitting in the cockpit of a real NG, I can confidently say that WideViewAspect=True + .60 Zoom is the most realistic viewpoint.

I will try 1.0 and then set my eyepoint(seat position) and see what it looks like. It sounds like many including myself adjust the zoom to suit individual taste rather than what is more accurate as it pertains to the size of a distant object and a given distance. Hmmm, I think I will take a nap.

Bob

When widescreen=true is set, 0.6 is the equivalent to 1.0.

0.6 is the best zoom setting for widescreen monitors

When widescreen=true is set, 0.6 is the equivalent to 1.0.

0.6 is the best zoom setting for widescreen monitors

Well, here it comes! How did you come up with that Professor? :Waiting:

Bob

0.6 isn't the best setting.....there is no "best" setting. Everyone's preferences are different plus the size of your monitor makes a big difference between settings.

I like 0.7 for the screen size I have but if I go to 0.6 I can't read the numbers on my main displays.

Ben, with a 23 inch screen at 1680x1050 I can't really read the numbers on my pfd / nd using 0.60.

How big is your screen?

I've got a 24 inch 1080P display.

Well it looks like this in many ways is a personal preference with the exception of the video above. Where are all the nerds tonight?

Bob

Depends on monitor size, resolution and preference. I use a 30" 1920 X 11200 monitor wideview aspect=true, zoom @ 40 t0 50% and gauge numbers are very easy to read. Peripheral vision is excellent

Well, here it comes! How did you come up with that Professor? :Waiting:

Bob

Its been looked at many times down the years. If I remember correctly:

If WideViewAspect=FALSE

Horizontal FOV = (34.0) / (zoom factor)

Vertical FOV = (Horizontal FOV) * (view height / view width)

If WideViewAspect=TRUE

Vertical FOV = (34.0) / (zoom factor)

Horizontal FOV = (Vertical FOV) * (view width / view height)

If you do the math you should find that 0.6 with 'True' = 1.0 with 'False'

Of course you are free to use whatever zoom level you like. From my understanding though, 0.6 with Widescreen set to true is the closest to the 'out of window' depth perception in real world. It certainly seems close to me.

I use .60 which I thin is EzDok default.. I experimented with others and .60 is my favorite.. .69 is default FSX but the problem is there are so many planes at that zoom level that create a "CAN THE PANEL BE ANY CLOSER TO MY FACE??" scenario (I'm looking at you Carenado 337 and Commander 114). So .60 zooms it out enough to create more room without completely changing the FOV so much you can't land anymore.

.60 with the NGX buries my face in the window. .60 with the Carenado 337 is just right.

I use .60 which I thin is EzDok default.. I experimented with others and .60 is my favorite.. .69 is default FSX but the problem is there are so many planes at that zoom level that create a "CAN THE PANEL BE ANY CLOSER TO MY FACE??" scenario (I'm looking at you Carenado 337 and Commander 114). So .60 zooms it out enough to create more room without completely changing the FOV so much you can't land anymore.

Hmmm......so maybe it's .69 that equals 1.0 depending on true or false.

Either way' date=' I find between .60 and .65 to be the most preferable.

http://forum.avsim.n...-in-widescreen/

Some words from Tim Gregson (Beatle) (ACES, now P3d) on how zoom is treated differently between True and False. (last post)

From the 172 in RL I fly to FSX most aircraft I run across I set to .70. Seems like the right area abouts for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm......so maybe it's .69 that equals 1.0 depending on true or false.

Either way, I find between .60 and .65 to be the most preferable.

FSX doesn't touch the user controlled zoom amount when changing the aspect view. The .69 user level zoom is a floating figure between true/false aspect view. I only know it's .69 because in Prepar3D when at the default zoom it actually shows a figure instead of showing nothing like FSX does.. But either way it's a floating number.

I am running a 42" @ 1920 x 1080. It is just difficult for me to determine what is the right perspective. Having it too low gives you the fishbowl effect sort of, but from 75 and upward is good. I flew for awhile at about 90. Although a little harder to get used to from the 78 it really comes down to preference do some degree I believe. If there was some proven calculation I sure would like to know. I assumed that zoom level 1.00 was something the developers came up with originally but not sure.

Bob

I agrer with that Bob. I've tried just about evey setting and come back to usually .90 or so. I've sat in a wide variety of airliners on static display at airshows and at first was surprised at how "in your face" the panel was, especially in 737's.

After experimenting with eyepoints and zooms in FSX, i've found that what looks best to me is to move the eye point back to near the head rest, lock in in Ezdok, then adjust the zoom to around .90. That seems to be about as close as I can match up to how it looks in real life.

If there's one look I cant stand in videos and screen shots, is that zoomed out view of the VC where it looks like they are flying from the jump seat, totally unrealistic imho. Plus I hate the fish eye distorted look. At airports by FSDT using a really low zoom less than .70 will sometimes cause objects not to appear as well.