Sign in to follow this  
adamjedgar

Sunlight

Hi guys, I am new to xplane...spend most of my time using fsx and prepar3d. am I doing something wrong or is it just how xplane is...the sunlight doesn't seem right when compare with fsx and prepar3d! its like there is a very light mist over the simulation all the time and the sunlight is not as good.

Try to disconnect X Plane from FSX and P3D. In FSX, you can sit in a cockpit, fly directly towards the sun and not have any glare.

If you were to go outside right now and look towards the sun, you wouldn't be able to look at it for longer than a second or 2. The glare is so intense, that everything else gets whited out and it would take a short while for your eyes to re-adjust.

Obviously, a flight sim can't temporarily blind you if you look at the sun, but X Plane does a very good job at simulating "glare" when flying towards or looking at the general direction of the sun.

This is what you are seeing.

I prefer the glare-effects of xpx over fsx way of doing it. I've actually caught myself squinting my eyes when looking at the sun when flying in xpx... :)

Question, though... Haven't the effect been tuned down a bit during the different betas?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

I don't think he is talking about directly looking at the sun, just the general sun lighting.

The only "mist" I have seen is the glare when looking in the general direction of the sun in X Plane. Otherwise, from what I can see, there is no mist.

Could he be talking about having the "cinema vesomething" option set?

OP: Try posting a screenshot and pointing out the effect. It's hard to know what it is you're describing.

I notice some of the early Carenado aircraft (C152,C172) have a bluefish tint on their windshield,Could this be "The Mist"?

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

I'm sorry I have used the word mist when in fact "very light haze" would have been a better term. Does anyone have any screenshots in Xplane of a really clear late afternoon sunset and landscape? I must need to tweak my settings somewhat as plane doesn't seem to produce this situation as good as fsx does. I'm using a 2gig ati radeon 6970 gpu on gigabyte p67m/b with intel i7 2700k. I did find in fsx i have noticed better imaging with nvidia card...but my nvidia gtx 570 card is unstable so I'm not using it at the moment ( I think it is a suspect one as it causes both of my pc's to crash)...anyway, I might try the nvidia card in Xplane and see what happens. Perhaps it's the reflective effect of the sunlight on the landscape I'm referring to...something just isn't right. In real life there seems to be direct sunlight, indirect lighting, and shadows on a landscape. It's almost as if in Xplane I'm only getting indirect lighting and no direct sunlight over the landscape...hence my use of the term very light haze.

Here are some comparisons. First X-Plane 10! I agree I think XP10 has the most realistic effect here. It's a little wide spread, but does give the illusion of a blinding light.

XP10 without HDR

XP10 with HDR

Now FSX. Note: I use REX whch has variations of sun lighting effects, so results from others will vary. It's worth noting the DX9 with Bloom gives the best results, DX10 with Bloom doesn't seem to have any glare effect, while without bloom it has a very noticeable effect. None of these IMHO look as good as XP10's effect.

FSX DX9 without Bloom

FSX DX9 with Bloom

FSX DX10 without Bloom

FSX DX10 With Bloom

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Could he be talking about having the "cinema vesomething" option set?

Cinema Verte (or however it's spelled) is similar to FSX's dynamic camera. With the option enabled, the cockpit and camera can move independently to simulate head motion. It has nothing to do with lighting.

Cinema Verte (or however it's spelled) is similar to FSX's dynamic camera. With the option enabled, the cockpit and camera can move independently to simulate head motion. It has nothing to do with lighting.

Thanks! I assumed it added a filter on the graphics but I could never tell the difference. Now I know why :}

@Tom: Good comparison shots and indeed that softening of the horizon is great. The newest REX Essentials does this nicely, too, if you havent upgraded, just FYI.

I agree with Alain, the XPX/HDR combo is really very good. I'm surprised at the difference between HDR on and off. I guess I'll have to turn it back on.

The XP-10 pic with HDR is the best, the most realistic if you ask me.

I also agree with Alain, the XP10 pic with HDR on is the most realistic.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

I agree with Alain, the XPX/HDR combo is really very good. I'm surprised at the difference between HDR on and off. I guess I'll have to turn it back on.

I could probably not live without HDR...;) it made all the difference for me, however it ran really bad for me initially.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12