Sign in to follow this  
Anxu00

Why do you "flysim" MD-11?

The MD-11 is a great experience. There is a different 'logic' than the Boeings but it isn't too hard to learn. There are some good MD-11 transition articles in the PMDG tutorials section. While I prefer the tan cockpit/layout and the ergonomics of the 747, the MD-11 is more automated and better suited to overnight trips with it's automatic step climb feature. The MD-11 is certianly the best long haul cargo bird until 777LF and 747Fv2 are released :)

Cheers

TJ

I fly this bird because is different to the others, the flaps set is very interesting, is powerful, heavy and approaching and landing is very funny, high speed and the CG is in the tail. The PMDG is very realistic, it looks very close to the real bird and feels heavy when you fly it. I prefer less automatized airplanes but MD11 is different, is as automatic as an Airbus (i don't like) but much more interesting and funny.

I 100% agree with you Larriwell

747-400 and MD11 both most beautiful birds (PMDG) in my FS9 sky

Olivier

drapeaux-gif-630.gifDomm Barh

I bought This http://www.itvv.com/.../mpmd11dvd.html and just had to buy the PMDG superb simulation.

Preview here http://www.itvv.com/...pageid=50143418

Yes the ITVV Martin air video is wonderful, you can learn and prove how realistic the PMDG MD11 is.

I 100% agree with you Larriwell

747-400 and MD11 both most beautiful birds (PMDG) in my FS9 sky

Olivier

Yes sr! waiting for the 744 V2 :)

As an unusual flight simmer, I do not recreate IRL flights, when I fly I run for my own company, in my own livery and even with my own callsign in Radio Contact.

However, the MD-11 is unique in that sense that it carries almost as much cargo as a 747, but needs a lot less runway, and that makes it very appealing to learn in itself.

But the MD-11 biggest downfall when you get is that you feel like you have been ripped off, the cockpit is really sterile and very mundane and boring, the wing view allow you to count jaggies and it looks like PMDG really did a shobby job on the model, in short, you wonder if it is as shoddy under the hood as it looks like on the surface.

Compared to a Boeing 747 in looks, it is like Nissan cheepo Micro compared to a Mercedes Benz, the 747 looks a lot more luxerious and nicer in the cockpit details.

While this may be true to the real life MD-11, trust me when I say this, under the cheapo looking gray monotone plastic lurks a beast, pretty similar to the beast you would find in a Skyline GT-R.

It may not win an interior beauty contest, but when it comes to flying and systems, it will give a Boeing and Airbus a really hard time any day.

And compared to the Maddog, the MD-11 is surprisingly easy to get going, the worst part to learn about the MD-11 is the FMC / FMS, it will ###### you off when you start learning it if you are used to Boeings, you will get thoughts like "Why do they do it this way? It is illogical" but that is something that will pass, once you have learned it, you will realize that the way McDonnell Douglas have done it makes a lot more sense and is actually easier than the Boeing equivalent.

After the FMS is down, you can take this bird anywhere, the hydraulics, air and fuel is fully automated, meaning you do not have to do a thing, and you can put it on manual later if you want to do it the hard way.

Flying wise, the plane will feel like something between an Airbus and Boeing in philosophies with the LSAS and control systems, something you can feel if you put the MD-11 in an excess of 30 degrees of bank and let go of the stick, letting it center again.

In summary, the MD-11 is a great bird to fly, even though its flightdeck feels really cheap at first, it is a fact you get over really quickly, just remember to do the tutorial flight which shows you the most automated way, makes it a heck of a lot easier to get started, and way less daunting than the Maddog.

This is the first time I ever read/heard someone criticize the MD11 model... Actually it is the first time I read any critique against the plane at all. Very interesting I must say.

Manfred G.

Ships are cooler that you think.

I have both the NGX and MD-11X from PMDG. The MD-11 always humbles me in manual mode, which makes me want to work harder at flying it. I've been using it for long-hauls while I wait for the 777X, and my NGX has been a great short-haul bird.

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

This is the first time I ever read/heard someone criticize the MD11 model... Actually it is the first time I read any critique against the plane at all. Very interesting I must say.

Me too. The MD-11 may have a dated model (we're talking about mid-late 2000s) but it's still really impressive.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

I think the -NGX and the MD-11 are different hammers trying to hit the same nail. The -NGX is easy to setup and fly and once you take off, get some altitude and hit CMD, you're golden. The MD-11, at least in my experience, needs a little more monitoring and controlling, especially on take-off and landing, for it not to do something you don't want it to.

As an aside, I've been bored lately so I've started trying to take off and land on very short runways with the MD-11. Landing at KHQM and KBBW have been quite interesting with it and its surprisingly easy to land by hand.

I think the -NGX and the MD-11 are different hammers trying to hit the same nail. The -NGX is easy to setup and fly and once you take off, get some altitude and hit CMD, you're golden. The MD-11, at least in my experience, needs a little more monitoring and controlling, especially on take-off and landing, for it not to do something you don't want it to.

I feel the exact opposite. The MD11 has so few buttons to push. You do not even have to press a button when airborne. Just dialing the altitude up is enough... Also when airborne it is able to make automatic step climbs so it climbs on its own (if you dial up the altitude of course). On approach it reduces speed automatically and reduces speed to landing speed on it's own. All Frequencies are automatically tunes as well, the list just goes and on and on.

Manfred G.

I feel the exact opposite. The MD11 has so few buttons to push. You do not even have to press a button when airborne. Just dialing the altitude up is enough... Also when airborne it is able to make automatic step climbs so it climbs on its own (if you dial up the altitude of course). On approach it reduces speed automatically and reduces speed to landing speed on it's own. All Frequencies are automatically tunes as well, the list just goes and on and on.

You're probably right. Doesn't the NGX do the same steps automatically as well? I'm still learning mine (MD-11) but stopped for a week to try and get DX10 Preview working on my machine. Back on it now though. Is it supposed to fly with a nose-up attitude? I keep meaning to ask that question. If yes, then why?

You're probably right. Doesn't the NGX do the same steps automatically as well? I'm still learning mine (MD-11) but stopped for a week to try and get DX10 Preview working on my machine. Back on it now though. Is it supposed to fly with a nose-up attitude? I keep meaning to ask that question. If yes, then why?

Well depends more on the wing. All Jet aircraft with a swept back wing slight nose up attitude (1-3 degrees maybe) but the MD11 does tend out to have a little extra. I think that it incorporated in the design for some reason. It is also one of the fastest landers out there so maybe it is because it has too small wings... Just a guess though.

Manfred G.

And, like some other big airliners, you get the best cruise performance if you have an aft CG. To aquire this, the MD-11 will pump the fuel into the horizontal stabilizer (if it isn't full anyways, and if you have enough fuel in your main tanks), which leads to an enomical good center of gravity.

This probably also raises your pitch during cruise.

And, like some other big airliners, you get the best cruise performance if you have an aft CG. To aquire this, the MD-11 will pump the fuel into the horizontal stabilizer (if it isn't full anyways, and if you have enough fuel in your main tanks), which leads to an enomical good center of gravity.

This probably also raises your pitch during cruise.

I though of that too but that fuel transport is only to reduce drag on the horizontal stabilizer. The attitude of the aircraft is not dependent on the COG. That is why we trim the aircraft.

Manfred G.

Doesn't the NGX do the same steps automatically as well?

Chris

No automactic step climbs in the NGX.

Michael Cubine