Sign in to follow this  
RoboRay

Kerbal Space Program

There probably will never be an actual autopilot. However, they mentioned a year or so that crew might gain and improve skills on missions and be able to do assigned tasks for you.

So, Bob might be a good navigator and be able to setup and execute a transfer to another planet, while Bill is a better lander pilot and could fly the landing for you.

I've been playing around with tilt-rotor aircraft. 

pVCFU4S.png

XJcqIfJ.png

tIN2Orl.png

lDDkoXp.png

DHRLvuU.png

[More pics]

This is just a light transport vehicle for crew-recovery, but I'd like to build something bigger that can haul a mobile lab around.  Once biomes are implemented on Laythe, I'll ship it out there to collect much science!

I'm spending a little more time with KSP again, with the new official NASA stufff and asteroids in the game.

Here, I detected a medium-sized asteroid on a direct impact course with the planet, due to collide in just 60 days, and dispatched a ship to nudge it onto a safer course.  During the flight out into interplanetary space to meet it, I decided to see if I could use aerobraking to actually capture it into a low circular orbit around Kerbin instead.

noq7vKy.png

J3jmwrX.png

w2oFOs9.png

HJ3SquE.png

RapIkZB.png

4JiLkwH.png

SOgrkKv.png

PSiXt4y.png

More pics:  http://imgur.com/a/eRWRs#0

• Upvote 1

So I'd had my eye on this for awhile...but I really wasn't ready to jump in to something new, with other things vying for limited free time.

The recent Steam sale made it impossible to refuse, but, I have a very serious issue with KSP, in that I haven't run anything else since the day I downloaded it.  :lol: 

My interests so far have been pretty vanilla, no real mods save a couple of visual/sound enhancements, and I've just been puttering around in the Kerbin SOI, Apollo-style. I even got up early a few times last week to get a launch in before work !  :lol: Minecraft never really did anything for me, but this...this is so much fun.

jqef.jpg

qum5.jpg

fk8t.jpg

:wub:

My Munlab is probably not entirely necessary but it was a great way to really get the hang of docking among other things.

Without a doubt something I will (Squad-willing) be enjoying for years.

Regards,

Brian Doney

I have a very serious issue with KSP, in that I haven't run anything else since the day I downloaded it

Yeah, I know that feeling!  It took about six months of KSP before I even fired up any other game, and two years later I still spend as much time with KSP as anything else.

Your Munlab looks great!  You're doing well to have an on-orbit assembled station orbiting the Mun after such a short time with KSP.

My interests so far have been pretty vanilla, no real mods save a couple of visual/sound enhancements

I do recommend approaching mods slowly.  Try to do everything with stock parts.  When you find yourself wanting to do something and the stock parts simply aren't capable, then look for a specific mod to help with that.

There are exceptions to that, for mods that "enhance" the stock game rather than "extend" it, like those eye-candy ones you're trying.  Other good ones are mods that add more detailed information sources (like Kerbal Engineer and Enhanced NavBall) or simply fix aspects of stock KSP that are inadequate (like Ferram Aerospace Research and Deadly Reentry).

Getting my feet wet with a few mods now.

So far I really have only wanted new parts. KW Rocketry seems to fit the bill for me perfectly, in that it offers many replacement parts that are less bulky than stock, but especially in providing more fuel tank options. 

As an unapollogetic ..errr...Apollo fan, I did of course check out the FASA pack, which is so very well done. The Saturn V/CSM/LEM included is so beautiful :wub: . I still will stick with my mostly stock-ish version for missions, as for me half the fun is tuning/building, but that FASA pack really is something special.

Kerbal Engineer is essential as well. It's one of those mods that after using it, it's kinda hard to figure why something similar isn't in the base game. (not a criticism really, just sayin')

BTW Ray, the Saturn V in your Falcon III video, is that based on NovaPunch parts ? Looks great  :smile:

Regards,

Brian Doney

Addons are a gift and a curse. I eventually just installed the Linux version instead and applied the segfaults to get around the 32Bit memory limitations since that version is 64Bit... You'll eventually get to a point Kerbal will crash at startup from too many mods. I know a 64Bit version of the Unity engine for Windows is in alpha or beta testing at this point but still unstable..

BTW.. Hey Brian! 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Addons are a gift and a curse. I eventually just installed the Linux version instead and applied the segfaults to get around the 32Bit memory limitations since that version is 64Bit... You'll eventually get to a point Kerbal will crash at startup from too many mods. I know a 64Bit version of the Unity engine for Windows is in alpha or beta testing at this point but still unstable..

BTW.. Hey Brian!

Hey Bill ! Long time no chat. Last I read from you was over at guru3d during the Watch_Dogs...fun  :lol:

FYI, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I believe 64-bit support for Windows is to be released with the .24 update due soon .

Regards,

Brian Doney

Hey Bill ! Long time no chat. Last I read from you was over at guru3d during the Watch_Dogs...fun  :lol:

FYI, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, I believe 64-bit support for Windows is to be released with the .24 update due soon .

You're on Guru? Yeah the Watch Dogs threads were fun.. Especially all those half baked mods that didn't actually do much. Ubisoft still hasn't fixed the PC version. I gave up on it.

And nice! Didn't see that presser about .24.. I knew .24 was due soonish but didn't know the 64Bit version was coming with it too! Great news!! MORE MODS!!

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

I never understood the appeal of this game.  Why do people play this when they could use Orbiter Space Sim?   Orbiter is free and actually realistic.

Orbiters learning curve is that of a sharp cliff. 

I never understood the appeal of this game.  Why do people play this when they could use Orbiter Space Sim?   Orbiter is free and actually realistic.

This is a sandbox game and looks like a lot of fun.  I've played a lot of Orbiter, and it's a hardcore simulation, mostly.  The two are made for different audiences.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

I think a valid analogy would be that of MSFS/X-Plane vs PS1.3.

Orbiter is great if the farthest you ever want to go is the moon, in excruciating detail. It can do that probably better that KSP ever will be able to.

Having said that, I have enjoyed using KSP far more than I ever did Orbiter, and it may be simply that KSP is actually fun, but hey, to each their own.  :drinks:

You're on Guru? 

I read guru, but am not a member. I just...there are too many forums.

I like most was really looking forward to WD, but as the details trickled out pre-release...well I will be waiting for a sale.  :lol:

Regards,

Brian Doney