Sign in to follow this  
Redric1970

Any advice for a complete noob (much appreciated)

For someone starting out and who is not heavily invested in FSX, X-Plane is probably a smart choice.

+1

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

FSX is like the original planet Earth.....and really doesn't need Microsoft's help to farther progress from a pile of dirt. I'd say that FSX still has years left.

L.Adamson

Going by that analogy...

The sun still supports life on earth. No sun, means no earth. And nothing we do, can sustain life without it.

FSX has no support.

I do LOVE the analogy, though!

^_^

I'd say that FSX still has years left.

You might be right. On the other hand, you might be wrong. I firmly believe FSX will end much sooner than people think. Third party developers will close shop and move on, most of them not making the conversion to other flight simulation platforms. Remember, they all have skills needed elsewhere and it might be just the right timing to exit.

FSX is like the original planet Earth.....and really doesn't need Microsoft's help to farther progress from a pile of dirt. I'd say that FSX still has years left.

FSX is alive but old, no future just like Earth.

XP is young with a bright future, and this is what I'm betting on, Future!!!

5 years from now FSX will still be, well FSX. XP will be XP12 or XP13 or XP14 what ever the ver.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

XP is young with a bright future. And this is what I'm betting on, Future!!!

5 years from now FSX will still be, well FSX. XP will be XP12 or XP13 or XP14 what ever the ver.

I must be too old. I remember X-Plane from a long time ago. And thats a LONG,LONG time ago. There were advertisements in a catalog I'd recieve for pilot supplies. I remember pics of lakes, rivers, and falling snow. The planes weren't very good, though. Looked kind of like toilet paper rolls with paper wings. Does anybody else around here, remember that?

I must be too old. I remember X-Plane from a long time ago. And thats a LONG,LONG time ago. There were advertisements in a catalog I'd recieve for pilot supplies. I remember pics of lakes, rivers, and falling snow. The planes weren't very good, though. Looked kind of like toilet paper rolls with paper wings. Does anybody else around here, remember that?

Very true, and that is exactly my point, XP has evolved and anything that is continuously evolving I see it as young. FSX has been abandoned and so has stopped evolving. FSX is now considered old with no support and no future.

According to Laminar, 10.10 RC3 will most likely be final and work will begin on 10.20 and the 64 bit simulator. The future for X-Plane is bright.

For someone starting out and who is not heavily invested in FSX, X-Plane is probably a smart choice.

I think that is the way to go, I'll keep my new FSX Gold and add ons to a minimum and wait for 64 bit XPlane...hopefully that would also include a better sound engine and WINTER!

I think that is the way to go, I'll keep my new FSX Gold and add ons to a minimum and wait for 64 bit XPlane...hopefully that would also include a better sound engine and WINTER!

Nice pic for your avatar. It's one of my favorite places. First sim to do this properly............wins.. And if I've missed it, somebody let me know.

Monument Valley Utah, from my RV. I might be on the Arizona side, though.

I believe it's the AZ side, haven't been there yet myself ,still a newb in AZ ...as well as flight sims...lol.

I believe it's the AZ side, haven't been there yet myself ,still a newb in AZ ...as well as flight sims...lol.

Those "monuments" themselves are in Utah. However, since the border is so close, I'd have to check a map to know if my plane was over Arizona.

Will probably be going there next month.........by car, this time.

P.S. --- UT25 is the ID of the airport. I'm a scenery ( eye candy) freak myself.

Monument Valley Utah, from my RV.

Absolutely superb shot Larry. Yes, we all wish to get to that point in simulation.

Absolutely superb shot Larry. Yes, we all wish to get to that point in simulation.

We sure better! Since I kind of wrecked that plane.......

(Idaho landing mishap, for those that don't know)

Nice paint, I work with a guy who owns an RV with two others, they painted theirs Mazda Red.

I followed Nick's guide once. Improvements were good, but it took me almost a day to do all the steps (including defragmenting the hard drive several times.)

Goran, with all my respect for you...

and all that work for what Goran? You'd better buy Trainz... C'mon guy go X-Plane now, do yourself a favor....Wake up from that nightmare of spending fortunes in add-ons or fps chasing / tweaking, just to get close to the default you get with X-Plane10... Stop dreaming about building that aircraft model or waiting for someone to do it for you - build it yourself! Or... simply fly around your preferred area, either just for fun or for training, and... as Geofa pointed out, there's no sim like X-Plane when it comes to train your circuits / landings, and under adverse weather conditions it is even a much more rewarding experience!

Soon the sofware houses still producing for MSFS will understand the potential in X-Plane10, and, above all, the future, as opposed to the nothingness that comes from MSFS core development...

Wake up Goran!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...