Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

A new players reaction to flight. (Warning, Language in Video)

This video is pretty funny! I laughed a few times, and the reviewer obviously had fun. What occurred to me, is that I have played a lot of other sims and enjoyed them a lot, but I cant remember at all ever playing a flight sim that made me laugh. I really think we could use a bit less seriousness sometimes.

And an easier way for people to access this hobby.

This guy needs a better sound-card, though! :P

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I like the players reaction to the training lady :lol:

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

This really made me laugh. Almost made me want to start over and go from the top.... Almost, not quite.

Kind of amusing that after all that complaining about the "inverted mouse" the first thing he does is try to move the mouse up to raise the nose. :D Then he did it several more times later in the video, and even commented on it.

I'll be generous and say that he missed all the on-screen cues because he was concentrating on making the video. For example, the check mark was flashing at the bottom left, and if he'd clicked on it, it would have walked him through the entire game interface. He actually did a pretty good first landing in the Stearman, even if it was a little hard... 88 points for vertical speed.

It was good to hear someone's initial reactions in real time as he first tried the game.

His passenger was a little snarky at times, wasn't she? :D

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

This video is why a lot of people never went any farther with the game. It is a real turn off to people who have no idea what they are doing and don't bother to find out. No doubt a lot of people just gave up and deleated it. I think we now know that to be true. They never gave it a chance to show what it could really do. It was in on way a flop!

So many errors. Sadly, the person in the video is the type of customer MS was marketing Flight for!!! As a new user, his experience is im sure what a lot of people thought about Flight. Dazed and confused!!!!

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

Possibly, but look at the comments on the video. People were overwhelmingly curious and helpful, and some said they would download or were downloading flight.

I also located a few "First time with....." videos of some other current popular civilian sims. They consisted of people with no clue sliding across the ground until they hit something. No video I could find made by a first time flyer managed to even get the plane off the ground.

Which experience is more likely to bring a curious new player back to the table? :lol:

Devons rig

It is easy to criticize, yet many times an informed analysis leads to different conclusions.

Flight Simulator has always been excessively complex, a turn-off to most aviation enthusiasts. Too difficult to master the game commands, too difficult to learn to fly, too difficult to control the unstable flight models, and generally nothing to do if one bothers (except aimlessly... fly!)

Comparing the initial tutorial in Flight to that of Flight Simulator X is very revealing. The purpose is exactly the same: teach the new user how to master the simulator and how to fly a very simple aircraft around the very same balloons, and finally finsh by landing.

I invite everybody to go back to FS X and be astonished at the complexity of that initial tutorial, at the excruciatingly long duration, at all the key commands that were tossed out at the new user, at the confusion that is created.

In contrast, Flight gets to the point immediately, limits the amount of information at this first stage, and attempts to generate succesful mission endings, and therefore enthusiasm, in the user. It is very different from FS X and surely works much better.

Clearly, there will always be a lot of people who will find even the simplest tasks beyond their capacity or interest. The person who made this video is obviously not an aviation enthusiast at all. He has trouble coordinating throttle and aileron, does not recognize the aircraft, is unfamiliar with the fixed conventional gear of a Stearman, cannot control an airplane. He is not particularly the target for Flight, except insofar as he is willing to try the game.

Flight's focus changed from that of FS X, this much is certain. And simplification of all aspects and features is one of the most important changes, because the excessive complexity of previous versions was precisely the reason why the user base was stagnating.

Best regards.

Luis

It is easy to criticize, yet many times an informed analysis leads to different conclusions.

Flight Simulator has always been excessively complex, a turn-off to most aviation enthusiasts. Too difficult to master the game commands, too difficult to learn to fly, too difficult to control the unstable flight models, and generally nothing to do if one bothers (except aimlessly... fly!)

Comparing the initial tutorial in Flight to that of Flight Simulator X is very revealing. The purpose is exactly the same: teach the new user how to master the simulator and how to fly a very simple aircraft around the very same balloons, and finally finsh by landing.

I invite everybody to go back to FS X and be astonished at the complexity of that initial tutorial, at the excruciatingly long duration, at all the key commands that were tossed out at the new user, at the confusion that is created.

In contrast, Flight gets to the point immediately, limits the amount of information at this first stage, and attempts to generate succesful mission endings, and therefore enthusiasm, in the user. It is very different from FS X and surely works much better.

Clearly, there will always be a lot of people who will find even the simplest tasks beyond their capacity or interest. The person who made this video is obviously not an aviation enthusiast at all. He has trouble coordinating throttle and aileron, does not recognize the aircraft, is unfamiliar with the fixed conventional gear of a Stearman, cannot control an airplane. He is not particularly the target for Flight, except in the sense that he is willing to try the game.

Flight's focus changed from that of FS X, this much is certain. And simplification of all aspects and features is one of the most important changes, because the excessive complexity of previous versions was precisely the reason why the user base was stagnating.

Best regards.

Luis

True... but damn funny never the less... :LMAO:

Jim Wenham

This video is why a lot of people never went any farther with the game. It is a real turn off to people who have no idea what they are doing and don't bother to find out. No doubt a lot of people just gave up and deleated it. I think we now know that to be true. They never gave it a chance to show what it could really do. It was in on way a flop!

Imagine having hundreds of these kind of people logging in to Vatsim, bet that would make the controllers a little upset.

"hey lets try and ram that poor fella" who just coming from a long flight over the Atlantic trying to land at KJFK.

Sadly, the person in the video is the type of customer MS was marketing Flight for!!!

wrong qoute in the post above, this is what the quote was ment for.

The people flight was marketed for. I always ended up on servers where people was trying to ram me when i played Flight online.

Glad they never ended up in the FSX world. But not all of them was like that, just the majority.

But I think I'll move out of this Flight forum now. I always just end up being counter productive for the flight communety and getting threads closed and now that I'm not playing it anymore do I don't really belong here.

RIP Flight

And to all people still enjoying flight, happy flying.

Edit:

This was my final words you will never have to see any more post from me in the Flight section and I think the mods will be happy too. Sometimes I can get to stupid and throw myself into discussion I should't been in in the first place. And maybe be seen upon as a troll. Sorry

Edited by Kaboki

And...what about those who recorded this sort of stuff simply to troll in a wise way.... Showing how ridiculous something can be by pretending we're trying to use it and face a hell of a lot of problems and hilarious (in the negative side) situations, is also a rather astute way of detriment without having to discuss arguments with those who can easily beat them down in seconds....

I'm not saying this is the particular case with this video, but I have seen a few that were wise enough to focus *** Only *** on those aspects of MS FLIGHT that could easily be used to bash...

As most of you may already know that although I have moved to a new "project", and am now fully occupied and as enthusiastic as I was regarding FLIGHT with that sim, I never gave up defending what I still think - MS FLIGHT, even having been poorly managed inside on MS, is the example of how a flight simulator should be when it comes to aspects like the physics model, the graphics, etc...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

I always ended up on servers where people was trying to ram me when i played Flight online. Glad they never ended up in the FSX world. But not all of them was like that, just the majority.

Two worlds.

In the current flight simulation market, you have generally older demographic who like things kept orderly. Formation flying, procedures, instruments, etc. There are exceptions, but it's a good general outline.

Flight on the other hand, was for everyone, and amongst other things, that meant lots of kids doing what kids do.

New people learn by example in multiplayer, and while you have some who were purely destructive, you also had many who were intensely curious when they saw others flying in formation or doing impromptu Atc. They wanted to be part of it, and often joined right in and behaved. They learned.

I always thought it slightly sad that in a community so in need of fresh blood, So few experianced flyers seemed to have the interest or patience to come down and interact positively and constructivly with all those potential new simmers.

I also note that however clumsy this player seemed, He looked at the islands and signaled his intent to continue experimenting, when he speculated on how long it would take before he was finished with all the free missions. For this hobby, even that is a victory, when so many new users smack straight into walls of alphabet-soup impenetrability, and where instruction manuals double as handy sleep aids.

Devons rig