Sign in to follow this  
Jonahbird

First step - test DX10

Hope you get this fixed Frank, because it's well worth it especially with all the help these Guys here are giving.

I run with an old GTX 285 with 2 monitors; 1 wide screen 1 normal. DX10 runs fine on the wide screen either in full or windowed mode. In windowed I can run Plan-G on the 'square' one and FSX on wide screen with FR's at 20+ ish (locked at 25) so your 'big rig' should run it all with no probs. I suspect it's only 'a mouse click away' Sorry I can't offer more suggestions.

Hi Guys

Cattz - you may empathise with this (although I'm 14 years ahead of you!) . At my age I had to give up yesterday - needed my bedrest! However, up with the lark, as usual, and will press on today.

VeryBumpy - I think you have given the best clue so far. I am going to try unplugging two of my monitors today (rather than rely on the nVidia software) to ensure that there is only one screen to find. I did try 'alt/enter' but it made no difference.

PaulJ - I said earlier that my cards are strapped. That is true, but I no longer use triple screens and the SLI is disconnected in the software. My layout now involves 4 screens, one of which works from a 2nd computer to provide FSCommander mainly. That is network and WideFS linked. The other three use the main PC with 2 GTX460s. The big screen shows FSX, aided by TrackIR, and there is one above angled for the overhead. The touchscreen is on my right and is used mainly for the PMDG737's CDU - to do this it has to be the main Windows screen.

My good friend,Ted, who builds my computers (and has a matching setup) has joined me in ploughing through this. He too had the black screen problem yesterday, and after reading this thread felt that VeryBumpy was on to it.

I will report again later.

Regards

Frank

Regards

Frank Jones

Hi Guys

Cattz - you may empathise with this (although I'm 14 years ahead of you!) . At my age I had to give up yesterday - needed my bedrest! However, up with the lark, as usual, and will press on today.

Good Morning Frank, I think you must have been looking at my post count :lol:

My age is not in my profile but thanks for givng me an extra 3 years B) :lol:

Cattz - you're right. Silly me! So that makes me 17 years older. Ho hum :(

All - I have succeeded in running DX10 using just one monitor. It doesn't look good. The sea is different, but no movement seen. The yellow taxi lines flicker madly, and other things like airport lamp posts flicker.

Whilst I was doing this, my friend has tried all permutations and concludes that we cannot make DX10 work with 3 linked monitors. So we will be sticking to DX9.

Thanks for all your interest and help.

Regards

Frank

Regards

Frank Jones

Hi Frank

You mention the yellow taxi lines... Do you mean the yellow progressive taxi arrows? If so, then these are not normally visible in native DX10 mode I.e. before you load the new shaders.

When the new shaders are installed correctly they turn the progressive taxi arrows red. So it all sounds a bit odd!

As a sideline, I run three monitors in DX10 without issues.

Bri

Hi Bri

I have not installed the new shaders.

Regards

Frank

Regards

Frank Jones

Frank,

The new shaders for DX10 fix the flickering your describing.

Regards,

Bob

If you're going to stay with this and keep trying then you may also need this:

http://www.flightsimtools.com/adconvx/

This will convert most 'not showing' textures. There's a free demo - well worth trying.

(BTW Frank, you went the wrong way with the years, I'm closer than you thought. :mellow: )

Hi Cattz

As you now have 67 posts I'm even more confused than before :Worried:

Thanks for that headsup. It's my friend's birthday, he's a mere lad of 47, and his family are making a fuss of him today. I will try to re-engage his interest next week, especially as Bri says he runs 3 monitors without issue. (Thanks for that input, Bri)

Regards

Frank

Regards

Frank Jones

Thanks for that, Bri. We will bear it in mind. At the moment I don't know how far Ted went, but he is thorough and experienced, so I begin to expect this is a no no for nVidia cards..........

............unless any other reader has a positive on them.

Regards

Frank

Regards

Frank Jones